Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking another potty question :rolleyes:
Everything I read involves crating you dog. I don't use a crate so whats the best way to pad/paper train Pie? He's doing ok but last couple days he's just peeing where he feels like it and no warning just trots along the squats and pees he's that quick that I often see him start to squat, use my ninja quick reflexes, leap up to put him on the paper but his pees are that small he's finished! pooping is easier to spot he does the circle really fast 6 times thing lol and i grab him and put him on the paper. Using simple solutions stuff to clean his little mishaps so it shouldn't smell doggy to him. He's only 9 weeks old so am I asking to much of him?
Am I doing it right? Gravy and chips were no bother took to it straight away :D

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think you are expecting way too much. Most chi babies are'nt even in their forever homes yet. Most breeders keep them until they are 10-12 weeks. He has no idea how to 'hold it' yet. Get a puppy playpen and keep him in that til he is housetrained. If you are only going outside, then many times a day. After he wakes up, after eating, after a playtime. Every hour. If you are using pee pads then line the playpen with a large pee pad (I use the human kind; 30x36" I think.). He will use it during the night, and then you can leave that pad whereever you want the dog to go. (I leave one pad in the playpen, and another in the bathroom etc) WATCH him!! Any mistakes are yours!!! Good luck. He will get it, but he is such a baby, you need to give his brain, and urinary tract time to co-ordinate!!! Sue

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I do not use a crate either. I have now pad trained 3 but I can only tell you what I did (meaning I do not follow a specific method and perhaps they learn despite my efforts) and then like magic, one day it just worked. The instructions on the package of pads said to keep putting them on it so I did.

My two oldest were 9 weeks and 14 weeks when we got each of them (not at the same time). It took each of them 2 weeks to go on the pad. Our youngest was 8 months when we got her. It took her 6 weeks.

I did exactly what you do. You have to catch them going and take them to the pad, put them on it (even if they are finished going) and I use EXACTLY the same words. For us it is "potty on the mat". I do not call it (the potty or the pad) anything else. Now when I say it to another one, my newest runs to the treats so I know that they all know what it means.

I used a lot of floor cleaner in those 2 and 6 weeks!

I also randomly picked them up, took them to the pad, said "potty on the mat'. Later I did the same but while they were on the mat I offered a small bit of treat.

The first time each of them actually went on a pad you would have thought they won a Nobel prize. I clapped, said good girl, jumped around generally like a batty person. I said "potty on the mat" like 50 times and gave the best treats.

Beyond that, do not ask me how, but they are pad trained. Thanksgiving was ans issue. House full of people and my little one went on the carpet. I credited it to new people, activity and such since we have had nothing similar since she has been here 2 months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts