Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, yet again I have another question regarding this puppies size/weight.
I have to choose between 2 females. One is a bigger then the other, (I dont know the exact weight because she hasn't weighed them yet) she has a white spot on her front paw with white on her belly, and she is a bit lighter. The other one is smaller, is one solid color except the white on her belly, and is a bit darker then the other.
I am having trouble picking which one, because I can't meet both the pups, and can only see pictures its very difficult. Apparently the one with the spot is a bit more .. Playful I guess, and the other is more quiet? (Told by breeder) I really want the smaller one out of the two. The breeder said the one with the spot will probably be a couple more pounds then the other one -- but always could end up the smallest out of the two because it's happened before -- where she thinks one is going to be smaller/bigger as an adult and turns to be the oppisite. My question is, is it more then likely for the bigger one to be bigger then the smaller one or what? I am so very confused, and really don't know which one to decide on. I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions about this. Thanks.

P.S - They are both a good size, so it wouldnt be like the smaller one would be more unhealthy, ect. Ahk! I have no idea, help me out! :shock:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know, i'd go for the one with the spot in a minute, if she was smaller, i just dont want her to turn out to be more then 6 or so pounds... I dont know why im making such a big deal over size... arghh

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah.... umm what do u guys think... would the bigger one hit over 5-6 pounds? if her parents are 5-6 pounds? Just because shes bigger then the other pup doesnt mean shes gunna be huge rite..

P.S - in the pix below, the "bigger" one does look a bit chubbier.. do u think its cause shes still feeding?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can compare to my pups; The largest one at this time-7 weeks-was not the largest at birth. The largest at birth is now the smallest female.
Okay, figures; black female was 3oz at birth/is now 1lb,13oz; the red female was 3 3/8oz at birth/is now 1lb,loz; fawn female was 3oz at birth/is now 1lb,lloz; blue male was 2 3/8oz at birth/is now 1lb,loz.
So the two medium pups are now the largest and the largest and smallest at birth are now the same size.
Temperament is so different; my black female is really laid back and does not play much with the other pups, I think she is too fat; the other three play with each other and have great time.
While the black one is laid back, she is also the noisiest. She does not like the other pups to bite or chew on her and she lets you know by her loud squall. And she really did not start this until about a week ago. It is so strange, and very hard to predict what they will be like and how big as adults.
We play with them all the same, they come out in the evening and we get down on the floor and play with them, but the largest black female just wants to cuddle. It has been a very interesting litter and I could or would not predict anything at this time...
If the parents are around 5-6 pounds, more than likely she will be that large-but it also depends on preceding generations. I have seen 4lb chis that had 10lb parents and vise versa.
Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: Does the size of your puppy really matter? I know you love Paris Hilton and her dog which i think is 4lbs right...or something...but if your chi grows to be exactly 6 pounds that's still SMALL...really small...a bag of sugar is already 4.4 lbs (2kg) status or fads (having the smallest dog in town) are not a good reason to get a pet, so think about it! and good luck on choosing both are adorable. :wink:

P.S. I agree with boogaloo (BELOW), I don't think anybody can predict the exact size.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I really dontr think size should come into it - if both the parents were 5 and 6 pounds then it is more than likely that both these pups are going to that weight too .
in the pics compared to the hand they both look roughly the same size too me - I think with biger dogs in your house and have=ing to get up stairs from you basement etc I do think you would be safer to get the bigger one as if one of your bigger dogs sit on your puppy accidentally she could end up with a broken leg or worse.

especially as you are getting her a 7 weeks I would advise you too get the bigger one unless you can be there 24 7 with her for the next 3 weeks.

also I think the bigger one is cute I love the white sock and she has a sweet face

also the personalities now wont mean anything as when I got Ozzy he was very quiet and timid and Lily was really playfull running around but know they are total opposite to what they were :wave:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Kurrazie said:
The breeder said the one with the spot will probably be a couple more pounds then the other one
From the pictures you have posted, I don't see how she can tell one will probably be that much smaller than the other. They look pretty similiar in size if you look at their legs and heads. One looks a little chubbier , but that would just be puppy fat, which puppies should have.

Can you wait to decide until you have seen the pups? (or is your pup going to be shipped to you?)

I don't think any of us can give you the answer you are looking for --- there is no way to predict the future to see what size these little babies will be when they are full grown.

Good luck though - I'm sure you will make the right decision!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree with Boogaloo, you can't predict size or temperament really at such an early age. You need to go with the puppy you really want, as long as it is healthy, both girls are very cute and I'm sure both will make good pets. Ugh, don't get me started on the Paris Hilton thing :evil: Jose is only 4 mo's old and he was 6lbs at the vet yesterday! and he is still small! Chiquita is around 9 lbs but she is such a beautiful dog. She is healthy, happy, has a beautiful shiny coat, and a wonderful temperament. My breeder I got her from said at most she would be 4 lbs. She said her mother was 4 lbs. There is no way Quiche was 4 lbs, that dog was bigger than Chiquita is now at 9 lbs! Anyways, I was shocked when Chiquita kept growing, and growing, and growing, but I couldn't be happier. Sure, she is a little large to carry around in your arms, but where can you really do this anyways? Petco? :evil: Petsmart?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all.. i *know* u guys are right, i really do love the one with the sock and brown spot.. i dont know why im so worried about size. I think i will end up getting the one with the spot.. shes very origianl with that :p and i cant see them before, becuz there a 5 hour drive away and so we will probably meet half way.. gosh u guys have got me so worried, as u say.. the breeders often lie about size and everything.. eeee... i really want the one with the sock..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh my god guys, i just got an email from my breeder, i asked her just how much she might weigh more .. like 8 pounds or more. and shes like no.. just a bigger frame, i would recommend getting the other one -- she has a cuter face. OMG she said she would recommend the other one before that.... argh!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sheesh, I dunno about that breeder of yours. Although it is SO hard to find a perfect one. Go with your heart, your gut whatever you want to call it. Get the puppy YOU want! Whatever size she is, she will give you all the love she has to give.

·
Registered
889 Posts
i really don't like how your breeder is doing business. she should let you pick whichever one you really have your heart set on. and also i don't see how she can already tell for sure how big the pup will be since they're so young. however big your chi grows to be, it won't matter to you-- trust me! plus, if it weighs more, then it's just more chi to love! :D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I agree, go with your instinct and gut. Everything will fall into place. Also, that is a little weird your breeder told you to go with the larger girl and now she is telling you to go with the smaller one? I again, agree with everyone else. She should let you decide, you are the prospective mommy and you are the "customer" so to speak. I know it is nice to have the breeder's view on which one would fit you the best though! :) Good luck with everything and they both are cute. I personally like the second puppy also, if you do have larger dogs I would go for the bigger girl anyway. That way she will be a little larger and won't as prone to getting easily hurt. Hope this helps you. Also, did she show you a picture of the pups' parents? That may help determine how large they both will be.

Jessica :wave:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep she did, here ill post them:D

- Top: Dad
- Bottom: Mom - and u can see the female with the white sock at the bottom right corner

·
Registered
450 Posts
Dad looks big, like 9lbs or so, like my Chiquita and Mom looks smaller around 7lbs or so. JMHO

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really? Breeder told me mom was 5 pounds and dad was 6 pounds. I swear to god if i get riped I will be so angry..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ok, well basically the pups will most likely be around their parents' sizes. I notice sometimes chihuahuas can look bigger than they actually are in the picture. Also, I believe that while mom dogs are nursing they gain weight, so the mom of the pups may look a little larger. If you are worried about getting ripped and don't fully trust this breeder maybe you could scope out some other breeders as well and see what pups they have available? Just a thought. :wave: :) You want to find a puppy that fits your preferences. Like I said before I would just go with your gut feeling and see what puppy you have "love at first sight with". I read in a book you should have a feeling of "I have to have this puppy!!" when you are choosing a pup that appeals to you.

Jessica

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I know, but theres just the problem where I cannot meet both puppies because we are meeting half way... >;[[[[[[ Its really hard to decided on; pictures that look differnt, and a breeder that is telling u differnt things. I have called her so many times and feel as if im getting on her nerves.. :shock:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts