Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spud is a blue chi (I believe-are all gray-colored chis considered blue?). He's got the coat issues that I see mentioned very commonly in regards to blues. Right now his fur is in the "growing in" process and I want to do whatever I can to encourage that and prevent him losing fur again. I believe just changing his food will make a difference as he's been on Ol' Roy (UGH!! but he lived in a household with a boxer and a pit bull) but is there anything else I can do to help him?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can add in some high quality fish oil such as Grizzly, Plato's, or human quality salmon oil.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Jade is Gray (Blue) and White. We've never had the coat issues that many mention in the blues. Her Mom was solid blue, but Dad was a Fawn color. I think if they have the coat issues it's more on the genetic end verses food choices and such. However, I'm sure eating the Ol' Roy contributes to making it worse. I would do a food switch asap, and try some Salmon oil in his food.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point any reduction in coat loss would be great. At times, all the poor little man has had left on his back from his shoulder blades to his tail was some of the wiry guard hairs with a little peach fuzz underneath. He doesn't seem to itch very much so I'm not so sure the food is a huge issue but I will pick up some salmon oil to give to him. I know all the chis could benefit from it.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
While this website applies to a doberman, I have found it very helpful for my Zoey who suffers from Color Dilution Alopecia Website: Storm's Regimen . Right now she is eating a raw diet, I use the Nova Pearls Shampoo on her, the Mega Tek Coat Rebuilder. I don't use the lusterizer spray as it has tea tree oil in it and some chihuahuas are sensitive to it. I bathe Zoey every week. Zoey also takes Melatonin every day, she gets 1/2mg per day the dose is 1 mg per 11 pounds of body weight. That has helped her tremendously, she's not as bad as some I have seen, although has some quite sparse spots along her spine and on her head. Another thing that really helps Zoey is The Missing Link supplement, it has helped her grow on her neck & stomach which is Chihuahua Pattern Baldness (not CDA)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Change the dog food to a poplar dog food I started feeding mine Kibbles they love it I mix it with can dog food very little. Supplement them with a vitamin daily and it has really worked they look great now. Mine is a white/blue I bath her in oatmeal shampoo every 2 weeks. I did bath her every week for about a month then went to every 2 weeks. I also use whitening shampoo with the oatmeal shampoo. My vet recommended Kibbles dog food or Purina puppy. I also put a little bit of oil on there food about every other day.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You've gotten some great suggestions so far. One of the best ways to stimulate hair growth is weekly baths with a good shampoo such as those mentioned. You want to use tepid water...not cool, not warm, like room temp and you can't feel a difference on your hands when you feel the water. I hope I'm explaining that correctly for you. Bath, let sit for the recommended time by the shampoo bottle, and towel dry. Do not use a blow dryer. Hopefully by winter, the coat will be in well enough that you can add a blow dryer on cool, not warm or hot, to finish drying. Right now, it can hurt the skin and coat. Fish oils and Omega 3s added to a quality diet will also be a great help.

Be consistent, have patience, and it will come back. Looking forward to pics later. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, I am so glad I joined this board, I didn't realize there was issues with long coats growing in or blue coats (which my Chi is). He doesn't seem to be suffering any alopecia. He does eat Holistic Select which I believe has anchovies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts