Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
They need to go in and close down these puppy farms, until they do you will keep seeing these poor pups in petshops. In the uk you don't see pups in petshops.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I am so mad at my Mother In-Law she went to a pet store and got a Siamese cat for her daughter at her house and the daughter did not want it. Now this kitty is locked most the day in her bathroom while at work because she thinks it plays too ruff with her kitty. Now she has no idea what to do with this kitty. GRRR!!!!!

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
So sad. Hopefully this gains more awareness, as I know a lot of people buy puppies (and other animals) from pet stores, thinking they come from awesome places. A pet store just opened in town that doesn't sell pets, and even though it's more expensive, I try to shop there instead of the bigger chain stores. I don't know how many people have Petlands where they live, but I noticed they have signs saying that the places their pets come from are inspected and adhere to spca requirements for breeding, etc. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

·
Registered
801 Posts
So sad. Hopefully this gains more awareness, as I know a lot of people buy puppies (and other animals) from pet stores, thinking they come from awesome places. A pet store just opened in town that doesn't sell pets, and even though it's more expensive, I try to shop there instead of the bigger chain stores. I don't know how many people have Petlands where they live, but I noticed they have signs saying that the places their pets come from are inspected and adhere to spca requirements for breeding, etc. Not sure how accurate that is, though.
The problem is, the inspections are conducted by the USDA. As long
as there is food/water and the cages are clean, they are FINE with
a bitch being bred every cycle and living her entire life in a cage until
she can no longer breed.

CONSUMERS have to STOP buying pets from any "store". If you
are set on getting a puppy, make sure you can see where it's
coming from. ( No BYB either ) Please!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Petland is one of the worst offenders. They are trying to market their puppies as being from reputable breeders, but they are from brokers who buy them from puppy mills, same as other pet stores.

My daughter had a good friend that worked there and they are drilled on how to talk to customers and reassure them about their puppies being from good breeders. They will lose their job if they even allude to them being from farms. They are given practice sheets for different questions and how to answer them.

Oh, and those kids at Petland are paid on commission. That's why they will stick a puppy in your arms when you walk in. They need you to buy one so they can get a paycheck. :(

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wow. We do not have a Petland here. Both the major chains here (Petsmart and Petco) work with local shelters to adopt out pets. They collect the adoption fees and give them to the shelters. I love that this area does that.

I also have to remember that other places are not so fortunate.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Petland is one of the worst offenders. They are trying to market their puppies as being from reputable breeders, but they are from brokers who buy them from puppy mills, same as other pet stores.

My daughter had a good friend that worked there and they are drilled on how to talk to customers and reassure them about their puppies being from good breeders. They will lose their job if they even allude to them being from farms. They are given practice sheets for different questions and how to answer them.

Oh, and those kids at Petland are paid on commission. That's why they will stick a puppy in your arms when you walk in. They need you to buy one so they can get a paycheck. :(
That's crazy!! I never knew that. I know someone that works there, who is just finishing her animal health technician diploma. I worked with her at a wildlife facility, and it's so surprising that she would work there if those are the ropes. Thankfully the one here also adopts out shelter animals, but they definitely do sell dogs, cats, and small animals as well. The petland here probably makes a killing. We only just got a pet supply store that doesn't sell animals.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Gah I hate hearing these stories and even moreso when they're in my own state. O_O When will people learn?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The mom and pop store here will tell you their puppies are purebred pom-chows or whatever. They also do not like you holding or touching them. "They get use it then we have problems with them".

·
Registered
275 Posts
I understand what everyone is saying but not all pet stores are the same. The pet store in our rural area is locally owned and operated. She only takes a few puppies each year and only from breeders that she has personally visited and inspected. She really cares about the dogs. I just wanted to say that Paco came from a pet store and was well cared for and is now adored and pampered. They may be more expensive but they are worth it. Just want to say that like most things in life there are always exceptions.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Not saying your pet store is lying; but, well; almost every pet store claims they personally visit and inspect them nowadays. The biggest issue is, a pet store will sell a dog to anyone who walks through the door with the cash.
And, no breeder who actually cares enough about their puppies, would be willing to just hand them over to someone else (ie the pet store) to find them homes. Reputable breeders actually screen out homes; they get to know people; they want to know where their pups are going to. Reputable breeders invest so much into genetic health testing and showing that they put SO much into it, they would never put their pups lives in the hands of a store owner who will sell a dog to someone without any screening or interview process. Even rescues do this. So it's not necessarily direct neglect or cruelty to the puppies, just horribly immoral that their lives are just passed on from one person to another without any care to where they end up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts