Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to schedule Chica's spay this month. The 28th is the first available appt. my vet had. They are having me drop her off in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon. Is that the norm for females? My friend, who was a vet tech, told me that they usually keep the females overnight. I'd rather have her home with me. I think we'd both feel better, but I was just wondering if most vets send them home the same day. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
We always picked up our dogs the same day and they have all been female. I don't like the idea of leaving my dog overnight at a vet clinic unless they have someone on staff 24-7 to keep an eye on them through out the night.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I don't know what the norm is as far as males vs. females, but I know that no matter what I would never leave my dog overnight (especially a tiny chi) if there wasn't someone on staff to watch them...and even then, I *personally* would still want to bring the dog home the same day. And that's what I did with Beau, I made sure they'd let me pick him up the same day before I made the appointment, even though they wanted to keep him overnight.

I'd rather have the dog with me where I KNEW it was being closely watched...I've heard a few stories of things happening when they were left overnight.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i agree, id personally prefer to bring them home that night, and its fairly common, our vet usually keeps them overnight, but at request if the surgery goes ok they can come home that night.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boop's vet routinely sends her patients home in the afternoon. Boop went in early, about 7:30, for her spay and was ready to go home at 4:30, although feeling fairly rotten. I can see why some vets want to keep them overnight, but if no one is there, what's the point?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everyone! I definitely want Chica home with us! I'd be so scared and so would she if she had to sleep at the vets. Just wanted to make sure it was OK for her to come home same day.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My vet actually wanted Dolly the night before. I said, "Um, no, please?" and she agreed. I took her in at 7 am, picked her up at 4. It was fine. I watched her like a hawk...who else would?

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts