Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*RECENTLY POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD*I find Sera's breath is awful bad, i asked the vet the last time i was there and she just said it was "puppy breath" but ive also heard puppy breath smells good :shock: Her ears are also smelly, and i think i see little tiny red bumps in there, maybe from her scratching her ears, not many bumps though... should i be concerned? i started wiiping her ears with special wipes in hopes it would clear the smell.. it hasnt..

---------------------------------------------------------

* U P D A T E *

Sera had her vet appointment today, she got one more shot -- not all of them together because of her size, the Vet and my breeder were concerned about her having a reaction as like the other puppies, Oh-My-God was it torture to hold her while the vet injected the vacine! She cryed and scream and it was so horrible! I felt so bad putting her through it! =( Other then that -- everything went O.K. Vet says her ears smells only because its just another "puppy smell" and she said it wasnt very strong ( I find it is ) So i mentioned that i've read about it, and there is supposed to be no smell what-so-ever and she said, That was a lie.. shes a puppy, puppy smells.. Sorta thing, so we'll see. I'm also continueing her on soft food - she recommended until 6 months, but i dont know. Anyways, Sera is having trouble getting comfortable because of the vacine :( I will have to let her sleep on me for a bit.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am so concerned now! Sera has been trying to sleep, she fell asleep on my bed for a while, and all of a sudden i hear a extremly loud screaming/crying sound! She jumped up and tried to fall asleep again, i managed to get her in a comfy spot, but now she woke up again with a cry! I feel so bad, she must be so tender! Is there anything I can do!?

-- She also has a lump where her needle was !! AND SHE SHAKing!! im sooo concerned!! :cry:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Cant she take a tiny peice of baby aspirin for the pain, i dont know about after vaccines, anyone???, about her ears I would get a 2nd opinion at another vets!

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
My vet always says 1/4 of a baby aspirin is okay to give. My puppy weighed 2.8 pounds when I was told that though. I don't know if that would be too strong for Sera or not. How much does she weigh?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I would think it would be okay but I don't know for sure. Is there a vet or an emergency vet that you can call and just ask???

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think I read somewhere else on this forum that some dogs are just really sensitive to the shots--it's not unusual for them to get a bump, definately. And your poor baby might just be really sensitive and in pain on that side. I remember one of the shots Puck got, if I touched the spot, he would cry out (though he was otherwise fine).

Maybe 1/6th a baby asprin? You can definately give the dog some pain meds, it just has to be safe for her weight.

And you know how Chis shake for just about any reason.

That's not saying it's not serious! I might call the vet and ask, for sure. But I'm a big worrier, so I guess I'm just saying "don't have a panic attack like I might."

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks guys, shes asleep, and i managed to get her sweater on her to keep her warm -- i was soo concerned cause my mom wasnt here and i didnt know if this was normal, but when she got home she said it was and to not have a panic attack. Jeez, that was so scary .. Thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umm.. She has been sleeping since shortly after we came back from the vets, which shouldn't have been past 6:00 PM. it is now 1 AM. I'm very concerned, if she continues with this whining and crying when she moves, should i give her children's Benedryl? I read another thread, saying there chi's were tender, or crying after their shots and they gave them that and they felt better!.. I'll update tomorrow..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wendy, hi :wave:
first of all - your Sera is so sweet :)
second - I think you shouldnt worry about her sleeping a lot after the shot, I remember Pupa was sleeping a lot too. And another thing she wouldnt let me touch the spot of injection and was a bit...how to put it...desoriented :?
About the ears...mmm...my vet told me if I notice a bad smell or brown stuff in there - bring her to him. Especially if a puppy is shaking her head of scratching.
O! and also he said to wipe her ears sometimes with baby oil. but dont go too deep in the ear, just what u can see :wink:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Please don't try and give your dog any medicine (over the counter or prescription) without finding out the proper dose. Call the vet and discuss it with him/her.
Aspirin can cause seizures, coma and kidney failure if given too much.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
please take sera to another vet what they said about the ears is rubbish - they shouldnt smell :(

good luck and keep us posted :wave:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I agree with Ozzysmom about the smell. Puppies do have puppy breath which I personnaly like the smell of. But the ears should not smell. As for her being sore after her shot that is very common so unless it persist or she gets ill in some other way that's pretty normal. I really think I would buy the smallest puppy kibbles you can get and mix them with wet food. I don't think wet until 6 months is a good idea nutrionally or for their teeth. Just my opinion though :roll:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi! You know, shortly after vaccination Richie would also scream or cry suddenly- i think, this is because this just hurts, since they don't have so much fat under the skin. About smelling ears- they shoul dnot smell bad, so i would ask for professional advice here. by the way, Richie's smell is really bad now, but i guess it is ok since he is teething

Richie's mom

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, ok -- i just didnt remember my other dogs being in sooo much pain, mainly cause there bigger probably, about her ears.. i could ask to get an appointment with the other guy vet -- i liked him better then this girl before but my mom had already made another appointment with her, ill see if i can switch vets..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shes been sleeping today again, shes on my desk and has a toy and a greenie with her in her bed, shes been in there all day pretty much, although she seems alot better then yesterday. I just miss her flying arounf the house and playing! :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
oh, she'll get better soon! she is just so sensitive, the poor thing! richie was also sleeping most of the day after a vaccination and the place hurted for about 3 more days, so it was literally impossible to lift him up or touch him there. i was also so sorry for my baby! good luck then!

Richie's mom

·
Registered
60 Posts
My vet told me when I got Selena's shots to absolutely NOT give her aspirin because it is bad for them and they cannot have it. He suggested I give her half a pill of baby Motrin (ibuprofen) for the pain. I did give her the Motrin and it helped her feel a lot better. Hope this helps.....
~Holly

·
Registered
82 Posts
That happens when they are given vaccines, Blossom was about 16 oz. on her 2nd shot she yelled and wined. I got a warm clothe and put it over the injection site and massaged it she cryed alot when I would touch it but it helps. Afetr like 10 min of warmth and massage to the site she was all better, she slept alot aswell. About the ears I don't think that is normal at all. Blossoms ears don't smell, but when I first got my yorkie her ears smelled and as soon as the vet smelled them she told me it was infection right away. Afetr I gave her the meds that were prescribed for the infection the smell totally went away.

Oh and make sure you give yor baby some nutri-cal, pea sized every so often. Shots are stressful for them and their sugar can drop. Hope she feels better really soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts