Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we have found the culprit to yesterday's emergency. When we woke up yesterday there was a rawhide bone under the pillow next to Frank. Last night around 8 pm I looked down at him on the floor and his eye was swollen and all red and part of his muzzle (lip) was starting to get puffy. Panic again!
He was chewing on a rawhide stick. Immediately went for the Benedryl and within 10 minutes all symptoms disappeared. I am cleaning my entire house of anything rawhide.

Has anyone encountered this?? He is nearly 4 years old and never had a problem before. We have always bought the same brand..........

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Where did the rawhide come from? China? I have heard that there is some preservative that the chinese use. US rawhide (ie Foster and Smith) supposedly are safe. We use bullysticks here. Last much longer. Sue

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
What brand do you use.We don't give them to our chis.But we do buy them for our lab mix(Nutz and Our other dog)We buy them at biglots they are 5dollars for a good many.The name of the is Rival.They have natural flavor and then they have chicken basted.Nutz and D.O.G. love both.They are made in Brazil.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What brand do you use.We don't give them to our chis.But we do buy them for our lab mix(Nutz and Our other dog)We buy them at biglots they are 5dollars for a good many.The name of the is Rival.They have natural flavor and then they have chicken basted.Nutz and D.O.G. love both.They are made in Brazil.
Boots and Barklay (sp?) from Target, they are wrapped with chicken jerky. We have given them as treats for a couple years, all of a sudden........

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
well...We don't give any kind of the chicken jerky because of the BIG scare where it came from china and was killing dogs.So mabe try to get just some regular rawhides and see how he does on them.If I was you I would not buy any kind of chicken jerky or anything it is rapped in unless it is made in the USA.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OMG now that i think of it, my wife had bought Chico some rawhide pig ears as a treat but not the normal brand he uses ( forgot the brand ) a few weeks ago , after eating them a few days later he went into convulsions....

After eating half the ear, he didnt want it anymore so we threw them out

Could it be coincidence???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts