Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6-yr old neutered 4-lb Chi named Peanut who is our child. He goes everywhere with us...we even got him service certified so that he can travel and stay anywhere we go. Two weeks ago, Peanut started having diarrhea. Took him to the vet where they did blood work and fecal sample (couldn't get much). Blood work showed low protein and other and liver count off. Vet was hoping the diarrhea was causing liver count to be off. Started on meds and said if it got worse to come back. Next day he literally had an explosion of liquid so took him immediately back and took pad and sample for them to check as previous stool sample showed nothing. Stool still showed nothing and vet not sure..not dehydrated but gave him charcoal to counter any possible toxins in system. Next day...had a wonderful solid (black of course) stool. However, he started screaming every time we picked him up like he was in pain. We were afraid he was hurt when they gave him the charcoal, so afraid to take him back and subject to more pain. Have been limiting his movements and giving meds. Diarrhea still watery and he has foul gas and diarrhea has strong odor. He is eating and drinking...giving him homemade boiled rice and chicken only. Have tried the pumpkin to see if it helped which it didn't. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe seen this? We are devastated about this and don't know what to do. We were hopeful that Chihuahua breeders that know this breed better than vets might have some ideas or suggestions. Thanking you in advance for any help for our Peanut.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
1) go to your local Petco if you have one and get some of this stuff --> Dog Digestive Aids - Digestive Enzymes For Dogs and Digestive Medicine For Dogs from PETCO.com as well as a syringe so you can shoot about 5 CC's down his throat.

2) buy unflavored children's pedialyte and replace his water with it. Until the diarrhea has stopped you will want to give him 3 cc's of this every 2-3 hours to keep him hydrated.

3) give him a TOTAL break from food for 18 hours, so, keep him quiet/resting. If he is TINY, give him nutrical to keep his sugars up.

4) while fasting every 4-5 hours give him 1 teaspoon of Beech Nut Brand (ONLY this brand, the others have onion) chicken or turkey baby food and 1/4 teaspoon of Nutrical (available at your local pet store usually).

5) consider ordering a box of The Honest Kitchen "Embark" dog food--its done wonders when some of our pups here have had diarrhea, you don't have to switch him to it permanently, but it really seems to help because it's not processed.

6) consider that he might be allergic to rice or chicken, thus why it's not getting any better? he could be intollerant of the grain or of the protein source. I'd eliminate the rice entirely--it's not giving your dog any nutrients.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If he's had diarrhea for two weeks & all he's eating is the boiled chicken & rice I'd be taking him back to the vet for further testing. You're very lucky he's not dehydrated yet. Such a small guy could dehydrate SO quickly. Did they do an xray when you took him in before? Being sensitive to touch & diarrhea makes me think obstruction. I can't imagine him going for 2 weeks though w/o it getting even worse in that case though. At any rate...I think a vet can best advise you at this point. Good luck & I really hope your sweet boy can get some relief! His bum must be so sore. :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would try a different vet, too. We went through 4 vets before we found someone that could help Bryco with his consta diarrhea. Sometimes it takes a whole different approach than what your regular vet can offer.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
He could have picked up a bug such as giardia or coccidia. All the treatment in the world isn't going to help if he has that unless you eradicate the parasites and that requires treatment by a vet.

The charcoal administered by the vet makes me think that the vet thought he ate something bad or was poisoned? Charcoal is an inactive ingredient that binds to whatever toxin is in the stomach. It's used often for poisonings, dogs that ate trash, etc.

The fact that his bloodwork is off makes me think something else could be going on systemically. I'd want to have a bile acid test done to check his liver function.

I don't think this is something you should be treating by yourself - especially if its been going on for 2 weeks. Next time he has diarrhea, scoop it up into a baggy and then get to the vet. Go to a different one if you want, but a little dog this ill needs medical treatment and not do-it-yourself.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Prada has had diarrhea for over 2 months not liquid but HUGE ice cream consistency poops she is on antibiotics now no parasites the anitbiotics seem to be helping tho and she isn't drinking as much water as b4 meaning she was so dehaydrated that she would literally drink a whole huge bowl of water about 6 times a day. She has 3 days left of her antibiotic then I take her back if it doesn't stay solid.

In your case I would take him back to the vet since what you have tried so far hasn't worked. I agree with getting a second opinion I had to recently change vets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts