Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is definitely in more pain than she seemed to be with her broken leg surgery. :( She is shaking and just wants to lay, all curled up with a blankie. She ate a little of her food (a couple of bites) and a couple of bites of banana (her favorite. LOL) The thing is, she LOVES Bruiser (him, not so much) and she growled at him tonight when he put his paws on the chair I was sitting in with her. She has never done that. I am assuming she is in pain. They gave her an injection of morphine before we left but that's it; nothing to take home. Suggestions on keeping her in as little pain as possible? Thanks so much.
Tricia

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We got an oral pain med to give the following day if she needed it (metacam maybe?).

I took of the collar thing and held her all night so she could get some sleep. Also, it seemed the she wouldn't eat unless hand-fed. Both of my girls were the same way. Good thing they had it done at the same time!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Darla was shakey and tired after her surgery, and not too interested in food for a while.
I hand fed her some chicken, just tiny bits.
She was also not happy when Daisy went near her, and they are very close.
Probably just a fear of being hurt and like us just want to be left alone to heal.
She was in her crate with the door open and covered in blankets to keep warm.

I was given a liquid painkiller with a syringe to put over her food, which i started the next day, just once a day.
It helped her a lot, she was wanting to run around the next day, but i kept her on my lap as much as possible and in her crate other times.

I would call and ask for a painkiller, they really should have gave you something to take home.
Hope she feels better soon. xxx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy was spayed last week and she sat bolt upright and would only relax on me and was so cold we had 4 blankets, I think some of it is shock as they don't know what's happened. She was given a long lasting pain killer and I was told if we need more just go back we didn't need too.

Keep her warm, and just leave her to rest, I would crate her and keep bruiser away just for the first 12 hours I promise tomorrow she will be a totally new dog. Is she crying?? Daisy cries when she is hurt, I do think they ho through a little bit of shock as remember they don't know what happened they went to sleep and woke up in pain.

I would leash her too if she gets up only for toilet breaks tho.

Give her plain boiled chicken for 2 days as their tummies r all messed up after all the drugs she may get loose stools too

be proud you did the best thing for your dog and daisy says she feels for her coz dem cut her mate up xxx

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. She slept well last night. She actually finally relaxed on me with blankets and was snoring! I put her in her pen that has two beds and normally she goes and sleeps next to Bruiser. He walked over to her, she growled at him and he slept in his bed and she slept in hers. He's no fool! haha She seems more perky this morning but is still not jumping about. It's ok though. Poor thing. Thanks for the chicken recommendation. I will make her some.
Tricia

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Don't let her jump at all until the vet says so I got told yesterday she can run but no jumping at all!! She will be fine it's traumatic for both you though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts