Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladie,s,yeah me again, this little guy is keeping me learning. I have been walking Charchi , for a few months now.Dosen,t matter where we go even if we go to the same places,most of the time he will keep stopping and watching everthing around him.I dont know if he,s scared of something or just really nosy or weather he just dosen,t want to walk.He keeps trying to turn around and run back the way we came.Then he takes me over to where our car is parked, i think he wants to go home.Does anybody elses chi do this? do i keep walking him,?

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Is he an only dog? I would try walking him with another dog that he likes, preferably one of a similar size.
He does sound like he has confidence issues, so do keep taking him out or you will end up with a shy and fearful dog who is no fun to live with. Make sure his walks are super fun, include games and treats and constantly interact with him. Try and keep the mood jolly, don't baby him or you will reinforce his fear that there may be something scary out there.
Act like a confident pack leader and he should want to follow you. The dog shouldn't be deciding where the owner goes, that is challenging your authority, a dominant behaviour. You must decide where to go, he must follow you. If something scares him he should run to you for reassurance, not away.
I think this puppy thinks he is in control, and needs to learn a bit of respect for you.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ote will occasionally do this in new places or around new people. She is always fine in our house no matter who is in or out or what is put in front of her, but I'm guessing this is because she's in a familiar area. If I take her out and about to a new place, she will normally sniff around cautiously at first. Occasionally she will try to walk the way we came, but I keep her going onward. I've found that she is more "secure" if she has a shirt or hoodie on. I know that may sound silly, but it's almost like having something around her gives her that extra "boost" of confidence that she needs in new places. Maybe you could try that? I've also heard that Thundershirts are good for helping dogs conquer fears and new situations as well. In new situations, I always make sure I have Ote on the ground walking around (unless there is something that could harm her of course), because I feel that she does not get the exposure that she should if I am holding her and will never conquer her "fears." Hope I could help! Good luck!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Good post Stella, I agree. :) You took the words out of my mouth.
Keep up the walks Ozziegirl, and let us know how he progresses.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Audrey hates to be on lead. Off lead she'll walk right next to me, put a lead on and she stiffens up. Up after a couple minutes she'll start walking. It takes time. She's already almost 2 years old and still does this but she has improved as she used to sit and do an "I'm not going to budge" face.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your right Stella,I,m not acting like a pack leader,i.ll keep going i.m not going to give up.i really love our walks,yesterday my daughter and the baby came along with Charchi and me, the baby was in the stroller and Charchi walked beside the pram fantastic,maybe it was because he had some security on 1 side of him. What are Thundershirts?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
yeah keep walking! i have only now really started the walking thing with tillie as for ALOT of the months ive had her ive been emotionally and physically ill but she is doing really well! if you keep working at it it will work! :) x

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have similar issues with Angel!! I take him and my golden to the park pretty much every day. He will walk, but every once in a while he will stop, sit and look at me as if to say "you're kidding, right?" lol. I do have to pull him, but I stop say it's okay, now let walk! I think he is afraid of all the action in the park. Some days there are lots of kids, people and dogs. Some days, no one! I was noticing yesterday, though, he does not like to have anyone behind him. He keeps looking back and stopping. He pulls when he wears his harness and won't stay in the heel position, so I have to use the gentle leader on him and he does not like it!! I am hoping he will eventually learn to not pull when he wears just the harness.

I wish I could hook up with a small dog group locally. He really needs socializing, but so far I haven't found any in or around the southshore of Boston area.

But, I know how you feel. Last night we walked in our neighborhood and when he met up with a dog just a little bit bigger than him, he wanted to bark and attack!! With bigger dogs he just hides behind me while Susie, our golden, greets them! lol.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Angel..there is a Chihuahua Meet-up
on Saturday at Bark Place--1721 Washington Street Boston 02118
at 1pm. It is in the Southend near Peter's Park which has a nice doggie park with an area for "small" separate.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Having a tight T shirt or a thundershirt (made for anxiety for thunder storms, but used by many people for their dogs for general anxiety.) for the dog makes him/her feel more secure. Don't know why, but if a T shirt works then I say go for it. I don't know how much your dog weighs, but maybe you can see what a premie shirt would work? Sue

·
Registered
133 Posts
keep it up i had a similar problem with one of my girls but after a couple of weeks she settled down. try different routes and lots of encouragement and things should work out

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Baby used to do this literally until this summer lol if always end up picking her up and carrying her while ninja continued on as she kept dead stopping and slowing us down sometimes I would just leave her at home because she hated walking so much now I just keep pulling her along if she stops I'll pick her up for a min and then make her walk again. Don't know what the problem is either she wants to go gets excited while I'm harnessing them up!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I, tried this today and it worked.I put 1 of Charchi,s tighter jumpers on to go for a walk in, and he walked so much better today, so i,ll keep using the jumper,who would have thought? i surpose like everything it,s the simple things heah.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts