Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking the girls to NC in Oct. for 4 days its only a 5 hr car ride, but this is the first time I have ever traveled with a pet I did find a decent hotel suite so they will have some room to run around, I am also taking their crate so when we leave the room they will have a safe place, but if anyone can give me some tips that would be great. Peaches still gets a little anxiety in the car so if any one has any suggestions with that too.

Thanks
Ericka :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have been taking Gadget in the car since he was 3 1/2 weeks old... we went on a 6 hour car ride Both ways. He was so tiny I had him in his little box I made into a bed,,, He just spent most of the time sleeping... but since then I have made him a carseat and he loves it.. his seat is right next to me in the car... he will just lay there and enjoy the ride..

But in the truck it is a whole different story... he doesn't like his car seat in the truck... So I got a short leash and strap it witht he seat belt and then put it on his harness.. I have his blanket and and his toys ther and he will lay down and stretch out and go to sleep..

I think the reason he doesn't like the car seat int he truck in the gear shift and my arm....

I would try to make her as comfy as possible... maybe goive her a chew treat that she likes to chew on so that it will distract her from the car moving...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I take Kiwi and Peaches to work with me everyday which is a little over an hour and Kiwi is fine she loves to ride in the car, but ever since Peaches got spayed and had to stay at the Vets she gets anxiety she will pace and pant in the car. She will do this about half way and then settle down. When we go to NC we will be taking my husband truck so I hope they like a Truck more so then Gadget because that will be a ride. :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget likes the truck... He just don't like his car seat in the truck...

So I have him strapped in my the seat belt and he does fine... He does better now that I am driving the truck on a daily basis..

Have you tried those calming things they have for dogs.... I think they have a few different ones a foster and smith website..

can't remember wht the actual URL is...

Good luck

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I have heard of those relaxing things I think I am going to see if I can find some and try it. I just don't want to stress her out on the long ride :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would give her some a few days before you actually leave so you know she doesn't have any problems with them... then you know she will be fine on your trip....

I thought Gadget would eb fine with his flea stuf so I gave it to him and then left for a 4 1/2 hour trip to my moms house and it wasn't a couple hours in to the trip and he was gettting really sick after had thrown up 3 times between then and the time we left the house...

anyways good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts