Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of chis on here with hydrocephalus. I was wondering how you deal with it? What limitations does it impose on your chis daily lives?

There is a chance Emma could have it after she suffered from a head injury and I just wanted to hear from others with personal experience.

·
Registered
323 Posts
you just got to be super careful when they are playing one bump to the head and hurt them badly or kill them...i had a tiny baby pup that had it and some other problems i had him put to sleep...i never saw the pictures of your emma before the ones u just posted. i also know the water on the brain and take time to go away...some pups can grow out of it..in your case sound like she had a head trauma and it will take time...my vet said meds can help with it all good luck and sorry

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey has been diagnosed with Hydrocephalus since she was about 18 months old, she has a mild case of it, and her molera literally saves her life as it gives the excess fluid somewhere to go. I try to be careful with Zoey so she doesn't bump her head etc, it can actually make her pass out or go into seizures. I give her Enalapril to help with blood pressure, Prilosec to help reduce the CSF fluid (it reduces it by about 26%). Changes in the weather pressure make her pressure in her head go up (she has a small bump on the top of her head (molera) where I can tell how she's doing). She is also on low dose steroids (vetalog) to help, she takes 1/4 of a .5mg every 3 days. I have dexamethasone on hand for 'emergencies' such as excessive pressure in her head, or seizures, I give it by injection as it helps reduce swelling in the brain.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if they actually diagnosed Emma w/ hydro, as in it was present prior to the incident?
She hasn't been diagnosed with hydro ever. The vet is concerned because there is still fluid on top of her head from her injury. There's a chance that it will never go down, and hydro is a concern. She has none of the symptoms of it, though... the only thing leading them to believe that it could be a concern is all of the fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts