Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T mentioned to me the other day about getting a "step over" gate as i'm using baby gates now and it's making me, my walls, and my house a little crazy.

I started looking and they're SO much more expensive than baby gates i'm trying to think of a way to swing this to my bf, the gates don't bother him as he's a foot taller than me and can easily step over them I on the other hand play hurdles everytime I want to get out of the office or into the kitchen!

Anyone used one? Know a reputable brand? Site to order etc. I called the local pet store and they don't have any on hand so I can look at them. Bleh.

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would get a baby gate cause the pet store are so much more. I use borad across my doors. where i can my kids can step over them. I have use the gates but i stopped cause they were to tall. go on craigslist.com they have baby gates for cheap

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would get a baby gate cause the pet store are so much more. I use borad across my doors. where i can my kids can step over them. I have use the gates but i stopped cause they were to tall. go on craigslist.com they have baby gates for cheap
I have 3 babygates and they're making me crazy so that's the reason i'm seeking something else, if I have to i'll buy at least one expensive one, my house has a somewhat open layout so you can enter the kitchen from 2 directions so if I can block off at least one side that'd be good. I'm assuming you mean boards? That doesn't much solve my problem as it's in my living room i'd like it to look AS presentable as possible. Thanks though.

I use this kind cause it doesnt have bars that they can get stuck in and it is a step over kind.
Doesnt damage walls either.
I know it's UK, but you could maybe find one like it or see if they ship to you?

Here it is........

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=303&pf_id=1763
Ahh thank you for that, I will look around for something like that I hadn't thought of the sliding kind. That's my biggest problem right now other than jumping across them is that it's damaging to my walls and paint from having to slide it and set it down over and over multiple times a day everyday.

My biggest concern is that it's in my living room in plain sight so i'd like it to at least look somewhat presentable but this looks nice, thank you again.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
We bought 18" doggy gates with little doors in them that you open when you want the dogs to be able to come and go (you never take the gate down)--got them off the internet. We had to find a shorter gate because I have bursitis in both hips and it was killing me to cross a standard height baby gate. These have worked perfectly for us. Here you go:

Four Paws Walk Over Wooden Gate (30-44" W, 18" H)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
We bought 18" doggy gates with little doors in them that you open when you want the dogs to be able to come and go (you never take the gate down)--got them off the internet. We had to find a shorter gate because I have bursitis in both hips and it was killing me to cross a standard height baby gate. These have worked perfectly for us. Here you go:

That's the one I have. Got it at Petco for $36.00. Just make sure your pups can't jump over it. They aren't very tall. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Idk, my dogs can all get over the step over gates, have been able to since they hit around 3 lbs so we got rid of them... :(

I don't know what this smaller non-jumping dogs business is but mine didn't get their memo!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I don't know what this smaller non-jumping dogs business is but mine didn't get their memo!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Memo is being sent now!

Mine can't even come near getting over it. When I come home, they get so excited, and they just jump and jump, but they are only 5 to 7" tall, so that would be quite a jump to get over. :lol:

I bet Bryco couldn't get over it. He has little short legs!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

ooooo thaaaank you. I'm glad you and T both said this one, I stopped by today and saw it but I was skeptical since the box was small so i'll grab one tomorrow.

I feel for you with the hips, I was blessed/cursed with wide ones and a mom with osteoporosis/arthritis of the hips, I can already feel the ache when it gets really cold and i'm only 20! I figure I need to be more gentle and stop doing Olympics over the baby gates while I can!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm 5'10"... all gates are 'step-over' as far as I'm concerned. ;)

If you've got a menards, they have a decent 'baby gate' section... they have the kind that mounts to the side and it kind of accordian-closes rather than swinging.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you've got a menards, they have a decent 'baby gate' section... they have the kind that mounts to the side and it kind of accordian-closes rather than swinging.
Hah! Yep i'm hanging in here at a barely 5'5 on a good day, and at 5'11 my bf is the same way "Why do we need another gate we have 3 already." "Look at what it's doing to my walls!"

I saw a swing mounted one a long time ago and loved it, however we rent and i'm not sure I want to commit to damaging the wall, however I have put serious thought into it now that the paint is already scuffed from the first gate and if the short gate doesn't work i'm 100% getting the mounted wall gate.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
ooooo thaaaank you. I'm glad you and T both said this one, I stopped by today and saw it but I was skeptical since the box was small so i'll grab one tomorrow.

I feel for you with the hips, I was blessed/cursed with wide ones and a mom with osteoporosis/arthritis of the hips, I can already feel the ache when it gets really cold and i'm only 20! I figure I need to be more gentle and stop doing Olympics over the baby gates while I can!
Yeah, you might as well start taking it easy on your hips now.
Although it's only 18", my kids have never gone over it. I don't think they could. We were using something that was about 12" and Skylar did manage to make it to the other side of that one. Hope you like the gate and it works out for you!

I'm 5' 8" and all legs but when you have hip problems, trying to hike your leg up sideways over a gate is NOT the way to go. :sad: And apparently hip bursitis NEVER goes away!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts