Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm new here but I thought this could be a great place to possibly find out some insight to my pups health problem..

His name is Rosko and he is 3 months old, I got him from a horrible breeder (I didnt know that at the time) and he has a varity of health issues since then. I took him to the vet 2 days after I got him because he was very lethargic, had a runny nose, and a cough.. They diagnosed him with kennel cough and put him on meds for 10 days. After just a couple days of meds he was a normal puppy full of energy and very playful. When he went off the meds and had his checkup and distemper shot he became very sore from his shot until the next day. It seems like he started to become less playful then. A few days later what seemed like overnight I looked at him and he was so skinny, you could see all of his ribs and his hip bones. I took him back to the vet and ran blood work, most of it came back normal. His red count was a lil low and his chlorine, potassium and sodium were a lil high. They put him on vitamins and we were to recheck in a few weeks.. We switched his food and he did better with that but it increased his bowl movements by a tone I mean one day it was like 13 times and then 8 or so... (completely not normal) but it was a normal bowl movement no upset stomach and it held its shape.. After a week of him still looking like a skeleton and not having too much energy (meaning he doesnt want to play but he will follow us around all day) I took him back to get weighed check his temp. He is maintaining his weight at 3.8 pounds.. I requested they put him back on the antibiotics since that is when he seemed to get better and he has become a lil bit better since then. She also put him on whip worm meds even tho he had a fecal (that came back negative) and has already had his worm pill and heatworm pill. She also ran follow up bloodwork and his red count was normal but his chlorine and potassium was still a lil high. I've spent a ton of money on him and I've only had him for a month.

The vet is completely clueless as to what is wrong with him and said the next step is to do further testing which is 200 a test for certain diseases..

So before I have anymore testing can you please help me here.. Has anyone heard of this before????
Symptoms
1. not playful
2. skinny

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Sorry, the only thing that springs to mind is worms. but you are treating for that. I sure hope they find out what is causing him not to be well very soon.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What are you feeding him?

A negative worm test doesn't always mean that they don't have worms, it just means the test didn't find any...but you're worming him so...

It sounds like he may need to just be allowed to rest some, too. Puppies sleep a LOT, and if they don't get enough sleep, its very hard for them to get well. I would also consider taking him to a second vet to get a second opinion, as yours doesn't seem to know where to go from here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet even said that if she didnt know better she would think it was worms but like I said he has had his worm treatment and his heartworms treatment treats it as well.

We haver changed his food probably more than need be but he didnt seem to like a few so we had to. He was on Puppy Chow originally and then I switched him to Science Diet because I wanted him on a better food one that was built for small breeds.. He ate it for a couple days but not a normal amount and then when he started feeling bad again we had to give him back the puppy chow which he ate alot of but that is when he was having bowl movements up to 13 a day.. So I got the Buffalo Blue wet food and dry.. He loved the dry but wasnt crazy about the dry so we mixed the wet with Pro Plan and he did well with that.. After taking him to the vet for the 4th time in a month last week I decided that i was going to do the whole human food thing for a lil bit and the vet gave me a wet food for him so he can gain weight. so he gets the wet mixed with the dry in the morning, noon he gets rice and ground beef with dry food mixed and the same for the dinner. He loves it however he is still having 6 or so movements a day..

My brain is just boggled because he is just the sweetest thing ever and i want him to feel good. I'm planning on giving it 2 weeks and then taking him for a 2nd opinion after that.. Hopefully I dont have to take him before that.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I took him to the vet 2 days after I got him because he was very lethargic, had a runny nose, and a cough.. They diagnosed him with kennel cough and put him on meds for 10 days. After just a couple days of meds he was a normal puppy full of energy and very playful. When he went off the meds and had his checkup and distemper shot he became very sore from his shot until the next day. It seems like he started to become less playful then.

She also put him on whip worm meds even tho he had a fecal (that came back negative) and has already had his worm pill and heatworm pill.
Looks to me like this puppy had kennel cough, so he would have had a burdened immune system. Then he had a vaccine. Another huge burden to the immune system. Then he had wormer, another wormer and a heartworm pill? No wonder this baby is sick. Sounds like his immune system is shot. and with that, his digestive system is out of whack. All this points back to the vaccine to me. To me it's obvious.

I would get this puppy on a holistic tract of healing. No magic, just good healthy foods, no more medications, no antibiotics (unless you have a culture that has grown out a bacteria), and no more pesticides! Heartworm medication (and flea meds) are neuro-toxins. They are just not needed and should not be recommended in a baby puppy. The only time you should worm is when worms have been confirmed.

It's probably going to take some time, but this puppy should be fine. As long as you gradually increase his food, watch for any secondary infections, and do NOT give any more heartworm, wormers, or vaccines!!!

Your vet was negligent in my opinion to give a vaccine directly after the puppy has had kennel cough. His immune system was burdened by that and then he was bombarded by vaccine. It's no wonder he's ill!!

I think you can get past this, but you are going to have to be an advocate for this dog.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Do you mean 'chloride' instead of 'chlorine'?

If so, we're talking about an electrolyte imbalance in his little body. Unfortunately, antibiotics can cause this, so they may be contributing to the problem. (The first round may have caused the excessive bowel movements, as antibiotics can also wipe out all the good bacteria in the intestines as well as the bad bacteria...)

That's not to say that there isn't another cause for the elevated electrolytes...Endocrine disorders and hormonal imbalances can cause them. Or his little body may not be able to absorb the salts (electrolytes) - again, this could be dietary or due to the antibiotics.

The blood work was done AFTER treating for kennel cough, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know very little about what needs to be done for dogs so I guess I just assumed that the vet who is supposed to be the go to person would be the one that would be able to tell me what to do best for him. I never assumed she could be the one causing this many problems with him.
I'm going to stop giving him everything except his vitaimins.

Yes I mean chloride not chlorine. and yes the bloodwork was done after the vaccine.
What would you guys say is the best food for chi's and to help them get on track. He seems to like the cheaper foods probably because of the smells.. However I hate giving it to him because i know its not the best for him but he's picky...

Please help me.. Any information would be great..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I never thought that the vet would be someone that I would have to look after. I've automatically assumed that they would know what to do best for my pup Rosko..

I dont know much about dogs so I took her word on it. What kind of food will aid in the process of getting him healthy again. Like I said we have tried Science Diet and Blue buffalo (with no success) and he is now eating ground beef with whole grain rice mixed with purina (which is not a great food according to the ingredients).

I went to Petco today and got one that is supposed to be specially formulated for chihuahuas so I'll mix that with his other foods. I plan on still giving him his vitamin but not the antibiotic because it does sound like he is overloaded with toxins.

The blood work was done after his kennel cough was treated. It was done at his recheck.

If any of you have any advice on health or nutrition I would grately appreciate it!!!! Since I'm new to this whole thing. I'm willing to do anything to get him healthy again:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His gums are sometimes a pale pink and then sometimes normal. He has had 2 blood tests done.. The 1st he had a lil bit of low red blood cells and then when he had it rechecked they were normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts