Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I got Bella in Feb, and it has been soooo cold outside, so just today was I able to take her out. I tried putting her harness on, and she is scared to death of it. I have tried putting in on her inside as well and she acts the same. I tried giving her treats when she came to me while wearing her harness, but she just doesnt come or move once I attatch a leash to it. I really want to be able to take her out in the yard to run around, but I NEED to have a leash because I live right next to the road, and there are other IDIOTS around here that have their 100 pound dog running free alot of the time :evil: Any other suggestions on this topic would be appreciated....anything that has worked for any of you :)
Thanks
Cherie :wave:

·
Registered
530 Posts
My mom's little shih tzu was having the same problem (she got her in Dec). She's been leaving the leash on her when she's in the house (she watched her so it wouldn't get caught on anything) and she's getting better. My mom says she still acts like a mop sometimes though LOL :lol: I guess I would just give it some time and let her get used to having the leash on.
Good Luck :D
Jessi

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
When I first got Tader he hated the leash every time I put it on him he would jump around like afish on a string!! I just put it on him inside the house & let him drag it around it didnt hurt him & he got used to the feel of it so he wasnt scared of it anymore. Good luck & remember to be patient but also that learning to walk on a leash is very important for your chis safety especially if you live near a busy road.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It took ages for Marcus to get used to his harness and even longer for him to get used to a leash. We did the same thing, just put the harness on every night and let him wear it around the house for a while and once he was finally used to that we let him start dragging the leash. Eventually he got used to that also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts