Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in the hunt to find Fiddle a friend and a breeder told me that having two bitches (desexed or not) is bad because they fight all the time?

She said it was worse than having two in tact males!

Any one got two girls only?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've pretty much always had 2 female dogs, and never had a problem with fighting other than normal 'dog' squabbles. Zoey & Ziva get along better than any of the boys I've had with Zoey.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have heard that two females will fight more than two males as well, and while that may be true sometimes, I think more than that it really just depends on the dogs and their personalities. I know people that have two females and they get along wonderfully, as Heather just said. Sarah/Daisydoo on here also comes to mind. She has two female chi's and they get along fine. So I guess it just depends really. :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
REALLY? I'm always hearing that with EVERY breed, with Pitbulls and rots and labs..... I've always had female dogs together and have never had a problem. I really think it's just the way they are raised to be honest. That's just my own opinion though.

I have two females and they are best friends!! They love each other so much! When Shayley was away for surgery Kizzie was looking for her, When Shayley doesn't go outside potty with her right away, Kizzie wont' leave the porch until she comes out! They LOVE each other! They snuggle and sleep and never fight. They both have two pink bowls to eat dinner out of and they eat right next to each other never a fight! Ever! When Kizzie was a puppy and bullied Shayley I took the time to teach her Kisses only!! I just really think it is the way they are raised to be honest, I never believed in that rule, even more so when they are puppies. When they are older dogs I feel like if they have had an issue in the past it's not their fault rather they are male or female that's just a chance you're taking but for puppies that's different!

Good luck getting a new one though how excited you must be!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've pretty much always had 2 female dogs, and never had a problem with fighting other than normal 'dog' squabbles. Zoey & Ziva get along better than any of the boys I've had with Zoey.
Ahh yeah I forgot about Ziva when I was trying to think of the lady dogs :)

Is theyre a clear dominant one? Zoey, I assume :p

I have heard that two females will fight more than two males as well, and while that may be true sometimes, I think more than that it really just depends on the dogs and their personalities. I know people that have two females and they get along wonderfully, as Heather just said. Sarah/Daisydoo on here also comes to mind. She has two female chi's and they get along fine. So I guess it just depends really. :)
Fiddle isnt very dominant I dont think, Nor is she very submissive... unless its bigger dogs from training. I think she would pull rank tho? haha I hope she would, I would hate to see her get bossed about !

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
REALLY? I'm always hearing that with EVERY breed, with Pitbulls and rots and labs..... I've always had female dogs together and have never had a problem. I really think it's just the way they are raised to be honest. That's just my own opinion though.

I have two females and they are best friends!! They love each other so much! When Shayley was away for surgery Kizzie was looking for her, When Shayley doesn't go outside potty with her right away, Kizzie wont' leave the porch until she comes out! They LOVE each other! They snuggle and sleep and never fight. They both have two pink bowls to eat dinner out of and they eat right next to each other never a fight! Ever! When Kizzie was a puppy and bullied Shayley I took the time to teach her Kisses only!! I just really think it is the way they are raised to be honest, I never believed in that rule, even more so when they are puppies. When they are older dogs I feel like if they have had an issue in the past it's not their fault rather they are male or female that's just a chance you're taking but for puppies that's different!

Good luck getting a new one though how excited you must be!
You got your girls at the same time? I wonder if that plays a part in it?

Glad to hear they get on like peas in a pod! I was quite worried to begin with, because I want to get another girl, wait till she is old enough to breed and then after a litter or two I will get a boy! a long haired one so I can have both types of pups!

And yes! excitement is an understatemnt!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Well..I have 3 girls and NEVER had ANY issues. Just the typical don't go near my bone kinda thing, but not have had any fighting at all. just a growl to let them know who's boss. They all play together and snuggle together as well. I dont know how each could get along without the other. And they were all purchaced at different times, but each one was always a pup when they were introduced. Ivy was about 5 mos.when we brought Willow into the picture, but Fern is a year younger than both and did just fine.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You got your girls at the same time? I wonder if that plays a part in it?

Glad to hear they get on like peas in a pod! I was quite worried to begin with, because I want to get another girl, wait till she is old enough to breed and then after a litter or two I will get a boy! a long haired one so I can have both types of pups!

And yes! excitement is an understatemnt!

I got Shayley in Dec 2002 and I got Kizzie in July 2009....They are 6 1/2 years apart. Not related at all. I will admit at first Shayley wasn't "in love" with Kizzie like she is now but she got use to her not long after. Shayley just wasn't use to a puppy running around wanting to bite her booty lol but as you can see they fit right in now! lol

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i had just 2 girls up until Oct 1 , then i added a 3rd girl. Minnie and Tootsie used to play fight all the time when puppies and they still do, but its just playing. they're like 2 peas in a pod. and they are such good girls, they love other nice little dogs, they accepted Peyton as their new sister right away

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Well i got my 2 girls at the same time and have never had a problem.
They are very bonded actually.
Of course Darla was a pup and Daisy was almost 3.
Daisy is more chilled than Darla and doesnt really play much, but she will chase Darla now and then.
She was also very patient and motherly towards Darla which was so sweet.

Even though Darla was spayed a good while before Daisy that never caused any grief either.
Then of course i added Dillon 3 months ago and he keeps Darla busy while Daisy gets peace.
She still joins in from time to time, but loves being with me more bless her.
I do think it's just their personalities.
People told me boys were so chilled compared to girls and just little cuddle bugs, but Dillon is nuts. lol
He is very cuddly at times though that part is true. x

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
As Foggy says, it's more down to individual personality, as well as the patience of the owner. I've heard every combination is wrong - dont mix boys, dont mix girls, don't mix boys/girls.

I have two boys and two girls, and they get along great, so ....as they say
'results may vary'

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have two border collie girls, one spayed and one not, and a girl chihuahua. They all get along just fine. However, I think the problem with having 2 bitches is that when problems start with fighting then they escalate quickly and usually are not fixable without rehoming one of the dogs. The way I've always heard it is that male dogs fight to establish dominance and when one submits the other stops too but when two female dogs decide to hate each other they never stop until one of them is dead. I've heard and talked to many people who have two girls that hate each other and they have to set up rotating households so the girls never see each other or they have routine bloodshed.

When I add another dog I always have my hierarchy set up in my mind. Here it is me on top, then Carlie the 11 year old border collie, Griffin the 8 year old male border collie, Sol the 3 year old border collie and Lilo the 2 year old chihuahua. I support them in that order. No one is allowed to look cross eyed at each other. They get fed and treats in that order, they go outside in that order, etc.

Everyone gets along fine but Carlie and Griffin are two peas and Sol and Lilo are two peas. If I add another dog in the future I will probably add another male to lessen the chance of any inter bitch issues.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I have just two girls one spayed one not! They are fine no problems they adore each other have the odd squabble like dogs do but nothing serious they snuggle a lot!!!

Tbh I don't think it will be an issue fiddle is spayed she won't be a threat the only think is your intact girl will be/must be way bigger than her so f she is feisty watch her but with enough corrections they arenfine

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think adding another girl to your little pack would be just fine. Fiddle is spayed (is that right?) & if you spay this next one than you won't have issues. In my experience the issues come with unspayed females...just like males. :) Matilda is our only spayed girl & even she has an attitude. It was with Mari until Maya came home. Now Matilda likes Mari but cops an attitude with Maya. :lol: She isn't nasty but if she's in a lap & Maya comes she'll try to leave or show her teeth & growl. Never has ever bitten or tried. She just thinks it's her lap. I THANK MY HUBBY FOR THAT. :roll: A whole other issue I won't get in to.

Mari & Maya have gotten into a few pretty good fights but they were all when Mari was in heat so it could have been 100% prevented had Mari been spayed. (long story short Maya is a very in your face/in your butt kind of dog & Mari wasn't having it) Same with how 2 males would be...2 unaltered males are more likely to fight.

Point being as long as they are spayed--chances are you will not have any issues at all. Good luck in what ever you decide!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think I've had all the combinations with different kinds of dogs. I find the existing dog(s) can take a little while to warm up to a new one but they just ignore the new one--not try to fight with it. ALL of mine (boy or girl) have always been neutered/spayed. I suspect that's a large part of why we've never had a problem.
Mia and Skylar get along just fine. Mia was 7 months when Skylar joined us. She had no problem with her from day one. Actually Skylar kind of runs the show-Mia is more laid back. Bizkit had to have a warming up period for both of the girls but, as I said, he just ignored them--he didn't throw down or anything! Even now when the girls aggravate him he just growls and shows them his teeth. He's never actually fought with them.
I'm guessing you'll be fine as long as the new female is spayed too. I think it might go easier if the new one is younger than Fiddle too. I don't think Fiddle will feel as threatened (initially) by a puppy as she would an adult.
Just my $.02. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts