Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is so sweet of you rescuing the two in need! They are very cute! My friend grew up with lizards (Sorry I'm not that much into them so they are all Lizards to me LOL) and they are really cool! I know another member on here has some Lizards too! Once she finds this thread she'll be happy to see you enjoy them as well! They are cute I LOVE that shot with the wizard outfit! That made me laugh!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Having grown up around 2 iguanas you definitely made the right decision! Ours were downright enormous and can be tempermental! They were highly intelligent and even came to their own name.

They were given to us from a breeder who couldn't take care of them anymore, they came pretty well socialized and actually had the run of the place like a dog would. I'll note, we didn't have other small pets at the time and I was the only young child but beardies are a wonderful alternative to the giant iguanas I grew up with.

My mom also fostered many different reptiles while I was young, most notably 2 beardies Draco and Elizabeth, Elizabeth whom also had that same bone problem you mentioned. When our iggys got too big for our care we eventually re homed them, and the beardies to a friends "sanctuary" in Arizona and we occasionally get pictures of their hotel-resort lifestyle.

Good to see they're in such good hands, I wouldn't say iguanas are delicate per-say, but definitely with the beardies they're so responsive to poor care, it's sad but thankful you rescued them!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What great pics and rescue stories! Unfortunately, people see the cute bearded dragons in the pet store and buy them, not knowing how to care for them. We were at Petsmart last weekend and they had tiny babies there, little more than an inch long. Just hatched? Anyway, they were soooooooooooooo cute!! And I'm sure that some of them will end up in poor conditions. :(

I'm thankful that there are people like you out there. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What great pics and rescue stories! Unfortunately, people see the cute bearded dragons in the pet store and buy them, not knowing how to care for them. We were at Petsmart last weekend and they had tiny babies there, little more than an inch long. Just hatched? Anyway, they were soooooooooooooo cute!! And I'm sure that some of them will end up in poor conditions. :(

I'm thankful that there are people like you out there. :)
Oh, don't get me started... Pet stores are a bane to the reptile hobby. Selling a beardie under 6" and 6 weeks old could be compared to selling a chihuahua puppy at 3 weeks old. Tiny babies are hard enough to keep healthy, even with perfect husbandry, but the husbandry advice the pet stores give is just wrong and dangerous, so those tiny babies will most likely fail in health within weeks if not days. And those babies come from the equivalent of puppy mills who don't mind selling them wholesale at way too young an age. Enough stink has been made about the puppies that pet stores no longer sell them. Not enough people care about the scaly critters to make such an uproar and even the SPCA/Humane Society type groups will rarely look into "neglect" cases when it comes to reptiles. And when they do, they don't know what reptile neglect even looks like, so nothing is done.

OKay....off my soapbox...... :nmad2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts