Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has just rescued an 18 month old Staffie male. He has settled into her home well and seems happy. The problem is he keeps biting his tail, enough to make it very sore. He's been to the Vets and they've took scrapings etc and all have come back negative so no actual skin problem. Her Vet said it is behavioural and suggested medicating the dog or docking his tail !!!!!! My friend is very much opposed to either of these suggestions and is researching anything that might help, any ideas, tips or product suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Even if he has been vet checked i would look at his diet to make sure he isn't showing sensitivity to something.
Also check for fleas, even one bite can start a reaction in a dog with an allergy, and you may never actually see a flea.
If it is the base of the tail I would also check anal glands.
Other than that it could be stress, or habit. How long has she had him? It can take months for a dog to truly settle in, so it could be stress from being re-homed.
DAP collar or plug-in may help, lavender oil in the environment, Rescue remedy, Thindershirts, all of these can help with stressed dogs. having a routine can also help.
If habit, she is going to have to re-direct him to some other behaviour every time he starts to chew his tail. Keep him busy and exercised, and maybe sleep with a soft cone on to let his tail heal.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if he has been vet checked i would look at his diet to make sure he isn't showing sensitivity to something.
Also check for fleas, even one bite can start a reaction in a dog with an allergy, and you may never actually see a flea.
If it is the base of the tail I would also check anal glands.
Other than that it could be stress, or habit. How long has she had him? It can take months for a dog to truly settle in, so it could be stress from being re-homed.
DAP collar or plug-in may help, lavender oil in the environment, Rescue remedy, Thindershirts, all of these can help with stressed dogs. having a routine can also help.
If habit, she is going to have to re-direct him to some other behaviour every time he starts to chew his tail. Keep him busy and exercised, and maybe sleep with a soft cone on to let his tail heal.
Great advice, thank you Stella.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Stellas spot on!

My parents male English bull terrier has god awful skin problems and has that baldy itchy spot on his tail.. The vet put it down to allergies as there is a certain type of mite that lives in grass that just cling on but they don't come up on the tests. Tried him on steroids even special washes but nothing helped.. Until they discovered the raw diet. And boy did it clear up faster than any medicine could. He's fantastic now, unfortunately his fur on that patch at his tail never grew back but no itch or irritation anymore. Seriously diet helps amazingly.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
Also as a side note:

My cat Huly attacks his tail to the point he took a chunk off. We have debated multiple solutions but honestly none is worth it. In Huly's situation it could be Phantom Tail (as his tail was damaged as a kitten), neurological, or nerve damage. He shows signs of all the above. If it is a mental or phantom tail situation docking the tail could make it worse. It could make him move to a different part of his body. Huly has learned throughout the years if his tail bugs him he goes under a chair etc to stop him from biting his tail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts