Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aidyn loves to chew on my hands, and his little teeth are still super sharp. I'm afraid he's going to turn into a nipper, not that he has exhibited this with anyone hes met when we go out. It's only with me and my Mom.

I'm wondering if he is still teething some, I've only found one tooth that he has lost.

I've been telling him no and then handing him one of his toys, trying to teach him that the toy is what he chews on. Which is what I have done in the past with my other dogs. I realize he is only a puppy and puppies like to chew, with him he feels so much better since his leg is healed now and wants nothing more than to play and romp. I'm sure its frustrating for him to still be crated because the vet doesn't want him to do much for another week or so.

Aidyn has even jumped at me, towards my face. To him he's only playing but I don't want this behavior to continue and he think he can get away with it. The techniques I'm trying don't seem to be working at the present. Has anyone else had this problem, or do any of you have some other suggestions I can try.

He's a smart little guy, he's learning sit, knows leave it, we're working on drop it, and he's pretty good at hitting his potty pad for going potty (just a couple of accidents), and he knows when I go to pick him up to raise up on his hind legs kinda like a baby reaching to be picked up.

Another thing too, he doesn't really come when called. He gets down into the play position, front paws splayed in front and butt in the air. I think this stems from the first few days after I got him, he would cower and run from me like he wasn't used to being picked up or wanted. Even my stubborn basset hounds would come when called. I want to take him to an obediance class but haven't the means right now. When he's on a leash he will come when I say "come". He's lost the cowering and running, now its as I said the play position.

I know this is long and I'm sorry, Aidyn is the first pup I've had in a long time and I guess I'm just rusty.

Thanks
Elisabeth

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hi Elisabeth! Sounds like you have a handful lol.. chi's can be that way. He definitely sounds like he is pushing his limits and considers himself to be higher in the pack than you. You need to establish your place as alpha, and he needs to learn to respect it. If you google "nothing in life is free" training there's a lot of advice in helping with positive reinforcement.

Edited to add:
I like this article in particular!
Nothing in Life is Free

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
He sounds abit like my Heidi! She loves to playfight and will often jump at my face, snapping her teeth and making the most dreadful noises. She loves to attack my hand and wrestle with it too.
Luckily she was raised with other Chi's then came to me and my 2 other dogs so I never had to teach bite inhibition. The other dogs did it for me!!LOL
Plus if she gets too over excited I give her the command "kiss, kiss" then she stops playing and gives me kisses instead!:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the article, Kat. I will def look up the rest of those on google. :)

It's nice when there are other dogs around to teach puppy manners. Aidyn was an only dog for several weeks, then we brought my Mom's lab to where we are staying, (he was at a friends), so Tristan and Aidyn are learning to get along and Tris is trying to teach Aidyn some manners while playing but his paws are so big I'm afraid Aidyn will get hurt, lol. I've babied Aidyn to much while his leg was in a cast, so its my fault I know.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Aidyn sounds just like Chico. We give him a chewie when he gets that way. We have Shanghai, a peke who is 5 yrs old, and if Chico gets a chewie, Shanghai gets one too. As soon as Chico sees Shanghai's chewie, he wants his too. We have to put him in his cage so he leaves Shanghai alone. He is slowing stopping the nipping, but every once in a while he gets quite rambunctious.
I love your Halloween tag. I'm trying to make one for my siggie, but have trouble finding stuff. I use PaintShop Photo X2. Where do you get your scrapkits from? There are some real cool siggies on here. I need to make one that's easy to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah yes, chewies! lol, Aidyn has discovered them and loves em, as Tristan does. Tristan is the thief in this house though. Aidyn has yet to finish one, even though we give him the small square ones. Couldn't live without chewies, they are great to keep them occupied and my dogs have always loved to have them. We've been getting them out when Aidyn gets a little to overexcited to play, it calms him down, and at other times too.

Thank you :), I went to photo bucket and searched their Halloween pictures for cute ones then I used Imikimi.com to make it. It's simple and free, I don't have any other programs on my computer that do stuff like that, or at least I can't figure it out, lol. Then I uploaded it back to photobucket, and cropped it a bit.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We are going through something similar with Ziva our min pin. Ziva has issues with not coming when called as well. I am on a yahoo group that has a wonderful trainer who gave me this advice in regards to Ziva not coming. I have to keep Ziva on a leash at all times for now: Ziva is a "small fry" so even benign body language from you *may* feel
threatening to her. I might try just dropping the treats and taking a step back. You want to avoid anything that might look "looming" to her... bending toward her, leaning over her, reaching out your hand, etc. Try standing so you are facing the same direction as she is and then squat slightly and feed from a hand hanging at your side. That approach can be hard on you though <g>, so you might try using a dab of
meat baby food on a long handled spoon as a way to lower the food down to her level. Try sitting on the floor and feeding her tiny treats near your lap. Let her choose how much contact to make. You can feed from one hand and, if she is comfortable, pet her with the other. Keep your petting hand low so you pet the sides of her shoulders, chest, and under her chin as she eats the treats. I also teach a "collar grab" as a game, but she may not be ready for that yet. You *do not* want to "grab" for her in any way for now."

I am reading and using a book called "The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller. It it all about positive puppy training and has lots of helpful hints in it. I also found a few articles online about teaching bite inhibition to puppies:
Bite Inhibition Article
Teaching Bite Inhibition | Dog Star Daily

·
Registered
164 Posts
good articles and advice! My pup can get nippy too...I think that saying "NO!" then standing up and walking away is a good start. He will learn that biting takes away your attention, which is the exact opposite of what he likely is trying to do! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts