Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, does anyone have solutions to a floppy ear I heard about taping but not sure whether this is a good idea or not she has had 1 of her ears up for over a week other one looks very flat n floppy. She is 8 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
she is 8 weeks old!! let her be a puppy.... the ears will stand when the time is right :)
give her a little pat on the head from me and Chico....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I thought that too she is very young yet, but I read somewhere if you are going to tape ear better to do it when she is young??? unsure about this because seems cruel to tape the ear , just wanted advise on the matter. p.s she enjoyed her pat on the head !

·
Registered
355 Posts
As a veteran of two Dobermans, one whose ears were cropped properly and stood, and one whose ears were cropped badly and flopped...taping is a nightmare, very uncomfortable for the pup (and potentially dangerous, as I've had my pup snag their ear tape on things) and I don't recommend it. I suggest you let her ears stand if they will, and give her time. If at some point in time you absolutely feel you must tape, enlist the aid of someone who has done this numerous times and have them show you how to do it properly. If I had it to do over again, I would love to have back every minute I spent messing with Dary's ears that I could have been playing with him, training him or just loving him!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou. I will leave her ear well alone, I love her whatever and im sure she doesnt mind if it never stands, as I dont.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think you already got your answer but I too would leave her alone. My Shayley's ears took forever to pop up but finally they did lol

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Cp. Her ears will go up and down with teething then will eventually stay up. So I don't think you nned to tape. I love the one floppy ear look.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If you want, you can by snoring breathe right strips and cut them in half and put half in her floppy ear. It's not cruel and won't bother her. Do it before bed time, rub the inside of her ear out with rubbing alcohol and let it dry, then pop the strip in with the wider bit at the base of the ear and the skinny part going up the ear. It should stay in 2-3 days. Press it in firmly and keep her from scratching at it at first (after she may itch at it the first day or so then forget it ever was there).

Contrary to what people think, if its a breed where the ears should stand, there is nothing wrong with doing it to "just a pet" :) I know I did for my pet boy and I do it for any show pup I get regardless of if ears are up or not, just to make the leather extra strong :)

Its not complicated like it is taping cropped ears so don't worry. I strongly recommend it too as it can only be done to puppies, it won't help adults w/ floppy ears.

After the initial taping, you repeat after a 1 day break or until the ear tips again on its own. The minute it tips get that breathe right strip back in there :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
She's still a puppy...! I'd say if you were going to do it to wait at least a couple more weeks to see if their is any change. My little Zoeys ears didn't go completley up till she was 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you want, you can by snoring breathe right strips and cut them in half and put half in her floppy ear. It's not cruel and won't bother her. Do it before bed time, rub the inside of her ear out with rubbing alcohol and let it dry, then pop the strip in with the wider bit at the base of the ear and the skinny part going up the ear. It should stay in 2-3 days. Press it in firmly and keep her from scratching at it at first (after she may itch at it the first day or so then forget it ever was there).

Contrary to what people think, if its a breed where the ears should stand, there is nothing wrong with doing it to "just a pet" :) I know I did for my pet boy and I do it for any show pup I get regardless of if ears are up or not, just to make the leather extra strong :)

Its not complicated like it is taping cropped ears so don't worry. I strongly recommend it too as it can only be done to puppies, it won't help adults w/ floppy ears.

After the initial taping, you repeat after a 1 day break or until the ear tips again on its own. The minute it tips get that breathe right strip back in there :)
Hi Kristi. Thanks for the post. How old would you say is the latest you can try this technique? Isabelle is 6 1/2 months, is this too late?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Smoke's ears didn't properly stand on their own until he was 5 months old and a few that had ears that stood had the floppy look going on again when they were teething. I would really wait as an eight week puppy is way too young to start worrying.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hi Kristi. Thanks for the post. How old would you say is the latest you can try this technique? Isabelle is 6 1/2 months, is this too late?
Well it can't hurt, so, maybe give it a try. If after a month of taping for 2-3 days with a break of a day inbetween they don't stand, I think you might be out of luck, but, at 6 1/2 months it still may help :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well it can't hurt, so, maybe give it a try. If after a month of taping for 2-3 days with a break of a day inbetween they don't stand, I think you might be out of luck, but, at 6 1/2 months it still may help :)
Thanks for the response! I hope you had a lovely bday x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beau's ears go a little floppy when he is playing hard or sleepy and he is a year old. I wouldn't worry about it. In my opinion, a Xhi with one floppynear is just the cutesy little thing!!!
Teresa & Beau

1 - 15 of 15 Posts