Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave: I'm looking for any advice or tips on helping with socializing. We've had Sophie for 2+ years now. (She's about 4) Since she's a rescue we don't know much about her background. The lady who runs the rescue told us she wasn't aggressive to the other dogs there but that she mostly kept to herself.
We don't have contact with other dogs except when we are out walking. I would like to see her more comfortable when meeting other dogs. Only small ones as she is petrified of big dogs. We never seem to know what she'll do, be afraid, be aggressive when approached by a too friendly dog or like today, be ok with an 8 year old maltese X. With this dog she actually showed interest and wasn't afraid of him.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! I think the best way to begin socializing is doing a one-on-one session with another dog, similar size, opposite sex (depends on how your dog does with same sex dogs, my dogs prefer opposite sex). You should keep them leashed initially, have a spray bottle in hand. Observe them carefully for signs of agression, reward your dog for approaching the other dog respectfully. When your dog is able to approach dogs and socialize on a one-on-one situation, start introducing more dogs of varied sizes, let them practice their approaches and teach them well.

I always go to the dog park and amazed at how well other dogs play. For some dogs, socializing comes naturally, for others it takes time and hardwork, but your doggy will thank you when they can play all day long with others!

Also see this sticky'd thread:
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/viewtopic.php?t=5408
For some great times on introducing dogs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kristin :) That gives me some ideas.
I saw the sticky after I posted, of course. I've saved it and will have a good look at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts