Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little strange I know right?

Well vegan baking has become my "new thing." A good friend of mine has been vegan almost longer than i've been alive and it inspired me to start incorporating it where I could.

I've tried a handful of recipes and they're very delish, I don't miss anything at all to be honest and it's wicked easy because I usually have all the ingredients on hand. My zucchini bread took a couple trial and error runs, but now I have the best vegan zucchini bread in the south :p

Just wondering if anyone had any recipes/ideas to share!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not vegan, but vegetarian (can't seem to kick the lactose habit). I get most of my recipes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz' books, Vegan With a Vengeance and Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. Both are available at Barnes & Noble. She also wrote Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World but I haven't got that one yet - trying to lose a little weight and cupcakes won't help LOL! Great recipes and she is very funny, at least to a former New Yorker like me!

What's mostly worked in my baking is substituting applesauce or pureed prunes instead of oil in moist recipes, and coconut shortening instead of lard or butter in crispy or flaky recipes, like pie crust or cookies. Have to be careful with margarine; lots of it contains water, which messes up your texture, or (shudder) gelatin, which...nobody wants to go there. I also use Ener-G Egg Replacer (follow directions on the box), which works terrific in Marcus Samuelsson's Swedish Coconut Cookie recipe (I also sub a good high-fat-content vegan margarine for the butter). Hope you can open the attachment; I can't find the link on the Food Network site anymore.

Aside from that, I usually just wing it - lots of great veg forums online for resources, too.

·
Registered
384 Posts
to be honest im not quiet sure what a vegan is. i thought it was the same thing as a vegetarian.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Generally speaking, vegans do not use animal products of any kind (leather, lanolin, gelatin, beeswax, etc.) in addition to not eating meat, dairy, or eggs. Rule of thumb for vegans is, if it has anything to do with an animal, stay away from it. Vegetarians generally (and with both it is very much a matter of individual choice) avoid eating any animal product that results in the death of the animal, but consume dairy, eggs, and honey. Lots of people say they're one or the other and really aren't purists, and that's fine - my husband has cut way back on meat consumption and I am happy with that! IMHO, the most important thing is to not be elitist about it, and to embrace anything people do - in any measure - to make the world a better place for animals. Namaste!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's more or less a label, imho. You'll find different "degrees" of vegan everywhere.

My friend is the same, if it has animals stay away from it (unless you're cuddling it!) but I know vegans that eat honey, and wear silk. There are things to get nit-picky about, e.g. some don't eat bleached sugar, but more or less it's about not harming animals for personal gratification.

That said, i'm not a full blown vegan. I have cut back my meat consumption considerably, and I incorporate where I can.

Thanks for those references Wig, I've been looking at some book swaps - I hate paying new book price when there are so many online references, so i'll keep my eyes peeled for those.

My biggest problem with vegan is that there are SO many substitutes and it seems very fake to me. I would just as soon do all organic/natural, chemicals are not my forte and that's what i'm having the most problem adjusting to is the substitutes.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to elaborate a little more, the reason I mentioned vegans that eat honey and wear silk is because those are harvested, rather than harming or killing, some vegans don't mind though I do believe most vegans who find this acceptable buy from reputable manufacturers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
An honest question, not a smarty pants question at all... If it's okay to eat honey since it's harvested from animals why is it not okay to eat eggs? Is wool okay to wear since it is harvested as well?

·
Registered
355 Posts
It is true, there is a lot of variation depending on the producer. Some beekeepers let the hives freeze out and start new in the spring with new bees (Newbies?) but some winter their bees over. I find the variety of viewpoints and approaches fascinating. Same with cheesemaking (bees and cheese, hmmmm) and the whole vegetable rennet vs. traditional (animal) rennet thing. You're right about the additives in some of the substitutes, though - some of that stuff borders on the synthetic! When we vaca'd in Kerrville last spring, I was very pleased with the availability of vegetarian products in the grocery store, and we're seriously considering snowbirding there or in Fredericksburg when hubby retires (he's an avid cyclist).

·
Registered
355 Posts
An honest question, not a smarty pants question at all... If it's okay to eat honey since it's harvested from animals why is it not okay to eat eggs? Is wool okay to wear since it is harvested as well?
Really valid questions, and it's so much up to the individual. Some people take it to the extreme of not eating processed sugar because they believe it is whitened with the carbon from animal bones. I don't use chondroitin (sp?) or oyster-based calcium; I eat ice cream and vegetable-rennet based cheese, but avoid animal-rennet cheese and eggs (because of battery hen abuse, mostly; that and eggs rip me up). I don't use lanolin because it's taken from slaughtered sheep; I don't wear wool because it's scratchy LOL!

I think the most important thing is to accept other people's beliefs, even if you don't share them, and encourage them to do all they can. I'd rather see somebody (like Sting, for example) eating organic and free-range meat than going around with a chip on their shoulder ticking people off. Nothing worse than the stereotypical vegan-er than thou attitude!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vegans vary between every one that you talk with omguthrie, like Wig said, it has to do with how the bees are treated (not frozen to death) and, there is no chance that an animal could come from a batch of honey, whereas if an egg were fertilized, it would become a baby chicken. That said! Every one is different, Vegan is merely a label, I just used it in my title because it is the easiest term to reference.

Wool falls into line with silk, some find it fine to wear as long as the animals are treated humanely, silk is a little different as it comes from worms, but many vegans aren't elitists at all as they're portrayed. I've gone so far as to meet people who nit pick over bleached sugar which, imo - isn't helping the cause, it's just a personal preference. (SOME sugar MIGHT be bleached using charcoal that MIGHT contain bone char that MAY or MAY NOT come from animals.) If you catch my drift, some nit-pick, most do not.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Generally speaking, vegans do not use animal products of any kind (leather, lanolin, gelatin, beeswax, etc.) in addition to not eating meat, dairy, or eggs. Rule of thumb for vegans is, if it has anything to do with an animal, stay away from it. Vegetarians generally (and with both it is very much a matter of individual choice) avoid eating any animal product that results in the death of the animal, but consume dairy, eggs, and honey. Lots of people say they're one or the other and really aren't purists, and that's fine - my husband has cut way back on meat consumption and I am happy with that! IMHO, the most important thing is to not be elitist about it, and to embrace anything people do - in any measure - to make the world a better place for animals. Namaste!

oh okay, now i understand..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thank you very much for the explanation in such wonderfully non-elitist terms!! I've run into several vegans who spent more time lecturing me than being able to answer my honest questions. I agree that being accepting of other's beliefs is the best thing to do!!! Again, thank you!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I'm vegetarian. I suppose dairy and occasional eggs is the difference, but I just don't like meat. Generally, if something isn't nutritionally sound, I've learned to ignore it. A simple but obviously ignored concept. :)

You could check out the nutrient rich website ( among others) for some recipe ideas.

Nutrient Rich Food Class System : Nutrient Rich

·
Registered
355 Posts
I love the Boca Burgers, too - you can make a faux Big Mac with them pretty easily. Morningstar Farms isn't as good, IMHO, except their ribs are delish with pickles and your favorite cole slaw! Now I want it to be summer - this is my favorite camping food!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm a vegetarian. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts