Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, for the past few weeks or so I have been having difficulty concentrating, blank mind, no interests and always sad. :(.
So i decided to try St. John's Worts. Just bought the bottle yesterday....

Anybody familar with St. John's Worts? How many days/weeks does it take to work?

Does it work?
etc. Anything you can share with me is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I have heard of it being used as a natural treatment for depression, but also heard of some side effects which is why I chose to take 5-HTP instead. Your body basically just converts it to serotonin (the feel-good chemical) and it seemed 'simpler' to me. Again it was years ago that I used it... I just know I did a lot of research before choosing it over St Johns Wort.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Speak with your doctor or pharmacist before starting that.

It interacts with EVERYTHING. I know for certain it can cancel out birth control among other things.

Definitely something to speak with the dr. about, just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yep. I work in a pharmacy so I have to give people that spill all the time "Don't take this if you haven't spoken with a doctor yadda yadda"

I personally considered it too until our pharmacist told me i'd be REALLY depressed if I accidentally got pregnant!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have heard of it being used as a natural treatment for depression, but also heard of some side effects which is why I chose to take 5-HTP instead. Your body basically just converts it to serotonin (the feel-good chemical) and it seemed 'simpler' to me. Again it was years ago that I used it... I just know I did a lot of research before choosing it over St Johns Wort.
I was going to buy the 5-Htp before and my pharmacist said it was nothing but just a bunch of stuff thrown together that really did nothing? Not sure if he was correct or not? Did it help you?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You could try increasing the amount of foods you eat that are rich in tryptophan (the precursor of serotonin which is implicated in depression), such as milk,yogurt, eggs, meat, nuts, beans, fish and cheese. I only know of a study in which participants mood was lowered after having a tryptophan free diet, so maybe increasing your tryptophan rich diet, works other way around. It would be worth a try. Other I would defo go to a doctor instead of just taking some medicine you are not sure about.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I was going to buy the 5-Htp before and my pharmacist said it was nothing but just a bunch of stuff thrown together that really did nothing? Not sure if he was correct or not? Did it help you?
It actually did! It wasn't like I popped the capsule and suddenly felt great though, some say it can take a month or so to kick in; and after a couple weeks I did notice that my mood was a lot more stable. The problem was though; it's also used as a weight-loss supplement. It doesn't suppress your appetite; however; I think that it worked on the basis that a lot of people who are overweight eat because they're depressed. Now, I don't know if that's why but I just wasn't that hungry on it; but I'm technically considered underweight as it is... and I didn't want to take anything that had any effect on my appetite at all.
I do recommend it though; but it's not like a complete cure for depression. I think in a lot of cases of true depression it's a lot more than just a chemical imbalance, and other therapy & non-medicinal approaches are necessary. I never really had a *reason* to be sad; I just felt bummed out a lot; never really motivated to do anything and just 'down in the dumps,' I guess. After a month or so of taking it I did notice improvement in my overall mood; if someone suggested something to do I wasn't like 'Eh I don't feel like it,' I actually wanted to participate and just felt better about stuff.
I don't really know why I stopped taking it. Life just got so busy that I really couldn't afford to be bummed out, I had to do stuff whether I wanted to or not and just got used to the new routine lol.
I just chose it cuz it's very simple. I was on Zoloft as a teen and it made me a zombie; that was NOT the effect I was going for. From what I understood it's just a combo of chemicals that directly converts to seratonin. I do think some companies/brands add a bunch of other herbal stuff to some formulas; mine was just the stuff in a purple bottle from WalMart.

Edit to add: Okay, well I did a little research today as I'm thinking of going back on it. Apparently it's not really supposed to take that long to work; from some of the reviews I've read people notice a difference within the first day or so. So, I guess if anyone's considering it, I'd just get a bottle from WalMart and try it for a few days and see if it helps or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts