1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never used it, BUT - big warning - they stopped using cedar shavings a long time ago as a substrate for small pets like guinea pigs and rats because the fumes from the cedar oil are toxic to their lungs. Might be worth considering for your chis!

For prevention I HAVE used the following holistically and I highly recommend: Natural Flea & Tick Control | All-Natural Pest Repellent System
Their formula is made of a combination of high-quality plant-based oils which are effective but non-toxic to small breeds *especially* chis! I also find Dr. Becker's advice and message board to be very helpful for both my dogs and my cats. I use her recipe book to make homemade species-appropriate food for my pets, which I supplement with high-quality commercial foods.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I wouldn't buy that product specifically but just get yourself a bottle of Cedarwood oil and use that. I do use cedarwood oil as a flea repellent and have not had any bugs or fleas on my dogs since I started using it in June as a safer alternative to chemical flea/tick products. Cedar oil does not kill pests, it only prevents them as the bugs don't like the smell. Do remember though that essential oils are toxic to cats so don't use them in households with felines present. I put one drop of Cedarwood oil on my dogs' collars once a week and it keeps everyone pest free. The oil can cause skin irritation so try to keep it off yours and your dogs' skin. I simply place a drop on the part of their collar that faces out (away from the fur) and rub it in. I always get a bit of oil on my hands but I wash my hands when I'm done and I've never had any problem or experienced any irritation. My dogs' nylon collars absorb the oil pretty well and quickly. The smell is somewhat strong the first day or two but it is not overly concerning and you can adjust how much or little you apply. I am not at all worried about the smell and would have no qualms using cedarwood chips in the garden which I plan to do come spring.

Really Kelly, cedarwood oil as a safe, natural flea repellent is great if you do it correctly. I wouldn't buy something expensive and pet specific like the product you linked to but you can buy a bottle of Cedarwood oil for a lot cheaper elsewhere and get the same benefit. I buy my Rose Geranium oil (repels ticks and works wonderfully, highly recommend if you have a problem with ticks!) and Cedarwood oil (to repel fleas) on Amazon. The little 1-2 oz bottles last a long time when all you use is a drop once a week and that's really all you need.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Do you put the Rose oil on the collar as well?
Yes, I put the Rose Geranium oil on their collar once a week the same way I do their Cedarwood oil. If you use harnesses on walks you could also put a drop on their harness (facing out, away from the fur) for added protection while out walking. I alternate between putting the oil on their harness and collar, sometimes I do both depending on the season and whether we will be out in wooded areas or something like that. Combine the use of oils and Apple Cider Vinegar and we've been pest free since switching to this combo back in June. :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
It's pretty much the same thing, yes. I just bought a different brand.

I bought a 1/2 oz bottle in May 2010 and use it on all 3 of my dogs weekly or every other week as needed and my 1/2 oz bottle is still more than 75% full!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts