Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeing! Cookie was trained but lately he's just peeing everywhere. He is kept in the living room now where the fire and his bed are. His food and drink is straight outside in the hallway and that leads to the kitchen and back door where he used to just walk out and goo toilet and come back in.

He's really blind now, he bups into everything and sometimes gets turned around so I put him out at regular intervals myself.

However he still pees all the time. He gets up from his sleep walks out to the hallway and just stands there and pees. I'm cleaning up pee all the time.

I assume it's all just part of old age. He hasn't got an infection or anything as he's been checked over. I suppose his bladder is just weaker and he needs to go more often.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
My old Chi had this problem as he aged,he would even wet his bed.It wasn't very nice as he always had a wee smell,i would keep some baby wipes handy.I know what you're going through Marie .Maybe it's because his eyes have got worse that he's disorientated and not sure where he is ? It's so sad this ageing process,but all you can do is keep calm xx

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My mother in law's late chi was like that in her teens. She lived to be 16 years old, she slowly went blind (was always bumping into things), drank a lot of water and just could not hold her bladder anymore. She went potty (pee and poo) all over the house every day, it wasn't her fault...she was old and could not help it. My mother in law just kept puppy pads all over the house where her senior chi roamed the house in hopes that wherever she went it would hopefully land on a puppy pad.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aw, poor cookie. He is such a sweetie.
It sounds like he's become incontinent. Maybe there are meds he can take. They do make doggie diapers for incontinent pets.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Been there also, Marie, with Charlie Chan before he passed away. He could no longer lift his leg to pee, as he couldn't balance on the other 3 legs any longer. Poor guy would just stand straight up and go..He could not handle the steps to go out and we had to carry him in and out the door. As his bladder and joints continued to age, he would walk just a few steps from his bed and just go.. So I put a washable throw rug there and he would usually pee on it. I figured he had been such a wonderful and trained boy to us for 17 years, we owed it to him to do whatever he needed those last few months. I also used the wet wipes to keep his tummy from having any odor.

Fancy, my oldest chi girl, is 15 and even though her joints are stiff at times, she can still handle the couple of steps down to go outside, but we have to lift her up to come back inside. She still wants to go out with the others to do her business.. Blessings to you guys..Deb

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Awww, poor Cookie. My little Sassy girl had a problem when she was sick awhile back. Luckly she stopped as she completely recovered. It is not a time I am looking forward to but I know it is coming. Bless you for taking good care of little Cookie and bless Cookie.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Someone else said what I was thinking.....maybe it's time for a belly band? One of my roommate's pugs got to that point before he passed away, and she solved the problem with a belly band, but she added a pad to it so it would soak up more pee and not soak through and mess up the floor.

Her female pug is starting to exhibit the same behavior as she's aged. She has some arthritis issues so it's gotten harder and harder for her to squat to pee, so now it seems like her default pee mode has become to just walk around while she pees, leaving a long, meandering trail. :( She's thinking she's going to have to invest in diapers for her, soon.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Poor Cookie. It may just be that hes incontinent and just plain cant hold it now, but if the issue is just his loss of sight/disorientation, maybe this will help...I saw an episode of Me or the Dog with a family that had several little dogs and a couple mastiffs. One of their mastiffs was elderly/blind and they were having problems with him toileting in the house. They put down rugs and mats as a trail over their hardwood that he could follow to a big dog potty pad. Im not sure whether you have carpeting or not, but it might work even on the carpet if you made a short path for him with rugs that were a different texture so he could sense when he was on his path and easily follow it to a toilet area and back to his bed or favorite spot, not too far away so he hasnt got far to go when he knows he needs to potty.
A belly band is another good option if incontinence is an issue.
Good luck, it must be difficult seeing him show signs of old age.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Poor Cookie. It may just be that hes incontinent and just plain cant hold it now, but if the issue is just his loss of sight/disorientation, maybe this will help...I saw an episode of Me or the Dog with a family that had several little dogs and a couple mastiffs. One of their mastiffs was elderly/blind and they were having problems with him toileting in the house. They put down rugs and mats as a trail over their hardwood that he could follow to a big dog potty pad. Im not sure whether you have carpeting or not, but it might work even on the carpet if you made a short path for him with rugs that were a different texture so he could sense when he was on his path and easily follow it to a toilet area and back to his bed or favorite spot, not too far away so he hasnt got far to go when he knows he needs to potty.
yes i watched that episode too and would recomend that or belly bands.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Poor sweet Cookie.
Been there too, Marie.

Doggie diapers might be the next step. Maybe you can begin scheduling his water intake - slowly so he gets used to drinking at certain times. Maybe too late for that I know.

I think about him often, Marie. The worse Carlos got, the more I loved him and would do anything for him. It's a difficult thing to go through, but he's very lucky to have you for mom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts