Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Mikey falls asleep on me or near me and I either get up or try to move him off me he growls and snaps at me! The whole time he is laying I can pet him but lord help me if I move him! I have even tried slowly waking him up thinking the snapping comes from startling him but still he gets fiesty and when he bites he bites to hurt you! He can be such a sweety at times but at others he can be so mean. Josh is almost scared of him. It's odd b/c in the morning and during the day he is really nice but come night time he gets real moody. What is the deal w/ my chi?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I can honestly say no never have either of my dogs growled at me or my partner - Im sure someone will be along to help though

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
My 2 (I'm so happy I get to say 2 now :) ) have never snapped at me either. Bruiser I haven't even had for a whole week but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't, he's the gentlest creature. It will definitely be a great thing for Mikey when he starts his training. He's sounds like he's just a fiesty little guy. Sometimes since they are so small they think they have to be.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ozzysmom said:
I can honestly say no never have either of my dogs growled at me or my partner - Im sure someone will be along to help though
I sure hope so. You all know Mikey has a bit of an attitude problem. I can take his being mean to strangers but not to me.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I 1st got Mikey he was so sweet. He would never growl he seemed to like everyone...people would say.."give him time he's going to get mean" and sure enough he did. :( When I tell you he is perfect in so many ways he truly is except for his moodiness . If I try to correct him while he's barking, he'll snap at me. He is only 5 mths and I wish I could start his training now. I can't wait till the spring time to get him in training. Then again what if he can't get over his attitude. he barks at big dogs..he does not care.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
How about when you see him starting to fall asleep you pick him up and crate him. Maybe he is moody cause he's tired. I know I sure get moody when I am tired. You have not established yourself all the way as alpha. Maybe he senses your afraid of the biting? It could be anything but training will be helpful. I hope he is more like Bosco than Kemo when it comes to that. :roll:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kemo's mamma said:
How about when you see him starting to fall asleep you pick him up and crate him. Maybe he is moody cause he's tired. I know I sure get moody when I am tired. You have not established yourself all the way as alpha. Maybe he senses your afraid of the biting? It could be anything but training will be helpful. I hope he is more like Bosco than Kemo when it comes to that. :roll:
I am afraid of his biting lol My body still is healing slowly so every cut scrape bite or anything heals so slow..plus it just straight up hurts :lol:

You know Victoria I have thought about Kemo and his training and I think Mikey might follow in his foot steps keep your fingers crossed for me tha he doesn't. That is a good idea about crating him or just putting him in his bed before he falls asleep. I all ready stopped letting him sleep w/ me at night. My hubby works at a tattoo shop and comes home late..so when he would come home he would put Mikey in his crate, we had to stop b/c of his attitude.
I don't want you all to think Mikey is horrible. he really has a lot of positives too the little sucker just needs an attitude adjustment. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
if your afraid then he knows that and sleeping with the dog shows equalness.......so I am glad to you stopped that.

I dont think bad of Mikey, I can relate. Kemo has not gotten that bad with me, he tries to nip me (when he is excited) but I get in his face and hold his muzzle and I say NO BITE!

I see more positive changes in Kemo as he gets older, so hang in there girl! :wave:

·
Registered
700 Posts
If he bites you then Bite him back !!!! He he sorry just a little humor in there. I cant really helo Nemo hasnt done that YET!! latley his personality is really changing though so he may start.Im going to bite him back.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MY3SONS said:
If he bites you then Bite him back !!!! He he sorry just a little humor in there. I cant really helo Nemo hasnt done that YET!! latley his personality is really changing though so he may start.Im going to bite him back.
Mikey and I could have biting matches lol.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Here is my opinion of the situation and please bare in mind that I am still training to become an obedience trainer, but I have seen many cases like this.

What do you do when Mikey tries to bite you? Do you withdraw from him? Do you leave him alone? How do you correct the situation?

If you withdraw or leave him alone all you have done is teach Mikey that all he has to do is trie to bite to get his way. This can quickly spread to other problem area's and soon you will have an agressive dog.
What I always tell pet owners is that you can never back down from your dog (obviously this doesnt apply if you fear for your life, but in this case I doubt highly that Mikey poses a great physical threat)
Now normally I would suggest to people to not allow their dog to sit with them but all this does is avoid the problem. The problem is still there but you choose to avoid it and that doesnt help.
What needs to be done is that you need to set up poor Mikey to act out again, but this time do NOT pull back, do not just leave him alone. Instead grab him, say "NO" in a sharp voice (no shouting, just a short, sharp NO to get his attention) and flip him over onto his side or back. This needs to be done firmly but not agressivly. He is not big and it does not take much to get him to lie on his back or side and keep him there. Position yourself so he cannot bite you or wiggle out from your grasp. Keep him there until he is totally submissive, this means no struggling, no biting, no growling, nothing. He should not be moving or making any noises. He should aslo totally relax his body and not be tense. Once this happens you can allow him to stand up. Dont say anything to him during this time and do not praise him once he finally calms down. This is a correction only. You are telling Mikey that he cannot get away with biting or nasty behaviors. He might be mad at your a first and go pout but you need to show Mikey that you are 'top dog' in that house and he cannot control you by biting. He needs to learn that all biting will get him is flipped onto his back into a submissive position.
Again this can be done without being cruel. Dont get upset, dont get tense, dont shout or yell. Its just a fluid motion. Just grab him, flip him, and keep him there. If you are really afraid he might hurt you I would suggest putting on gloves, something heavy enough where he cannot hurt you. Pretty soon you will get use to how to pick him up and handle him without getting bit. I wish I could show you but seeing that this is the internet I cannot and its near impossible to explain. All I can suggest is that when you go to pick him up you react as soon as he shows signs of agression and do not let him get into his "red zone" where he is prepared to bite. React before he has time to bite.
Continue to allow him up on your lab, but do not tollerate naughty behavior. You should see him slowly (or quickly if he is a quick leaner) start behaving more because he will soon learn that biting and growling get him nowhere.
Again, like I said I am still learning, but this is what dogs do to eachother to correct bad behavior and they dont do it agressivly, they do it assertivly. Just remember to be confident and calm because dogs can pick up on your emotions and if you are worked up and stessed your dog will be too.
I really hope this makes sense. I am researching and am being certified using a certain animal behavorists methods. His name is Cesar Milan.
Check out his site http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/ or http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/philosophy.html

I watch his show and am in awe of what he is able to do (and he did work with a chihuahua on his show!!! it was great. He has a couple chi's in his 'pack' of 50 dogs. Again you can read up a little and decide if you are comfortable with this.

Hope I was of some help :wink:
-Jessica

EDIT: PS - If you go to the natural geographic site and click on series preview it will show the 'demon chihuahua' clip. If you get the natural geogrpahic channel i would reccomend watching him...he really understands a dog's psychi

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jess, you are the best. That makes complete sense. I will try that b/c I need to show this boy that I am in charge. I get so upset when he acts this way to me. And what I have been doing not letting him lay by me and basically finding ways around the situation. He does get really mad when I lay him on his back. He acts like he has to fight for his life to get back on his legs. I absoluetly love him regardless and need to get him to realize I am the alpha. I'll give you an update when I feel I am making progress w/ him.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
That is a great suggestion. When Mr. Peepers (and now Bruiser) acts up I IMMEDIATELY flip them on to their backs. I also grab them, gently, and have them look at me in my eyes and then I allow them to look away. I think I heard somewhere that eye contact isn't a good thing, that they feel threatened but it really works great for me. They know my 'serious' face, Bruiser learned it quickly. They are completely submissive to me. They were acting up the other night and I was curious if it would work if my bf did it and they did not cooperate for him at all. They avoided all eye contact with him. So that's proof that I am the pack leader :D .

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Oh I am so glad that all made sense...lol. It is so much easier to show people then to explain online.
Yeah the reason he is upset when he is on his back is because it is a very submissive position and they have no control over the situation. There is no question that Mikey is a great dog, he just needs a reminder who is the boss of the house...hehe. Once you feel comfortable with everything start showing your kids how to act with him as well. Mikey should know that anything on two legs is alpha to him.
Best of luck with him. Just remember to stay calm (much easier said then done) and to stay consistant.
-Jessica

PS - Any more questions pop up feel free to PM me...if I cannot answer it I will ask the trainer I am working for. We are actually doing 4 private lessons tomorrow, two of them involve agression, one case is pretty bad...dog attacks other dogs and other people...have to bring Direct Stop (basically a citrenella spray that stops dogs from attacking but is completely safe for the dog) should be an interesting day tomorrow 8)

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Luckily my problem isn't that bad. Do you get worried when you have to deal w/ aggressive dogs like that?
He is a very fast learner so hopefully he'll learn this quick. I have him trained to go to the door (for the most part) when he has to go out. He knows to sit to get his leasch on and to sit to get it off when he comes in. He learned sit soon after I got him. So I know he is smart. he is a little handful.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
As are all chihuahua's...lol!
I use to get really scared with the agressive dogs, then I got bit once and ever since then I havent been as scared..go figure 8)
Yeah just make sure you show Mikey you are in charge, and that goes for everything not just nap time. When you walk him make sure he heels to your side or behind you, never in front. IF they are in front they feel like they are in control. Just keep the leash short enough so he can walk comfortably next to you, but doesnt have enough leash to bolt ahead. They learn fast to stay next to you...they might need a little pop of the leash to get them to heal, but nothing harsh.
Also make him sit/lie down/any other tricks he knows before you give him any food or treats. Make him earn his food. This is good for the kids to do.
I just learned all this stuff in the past month and couldnt believe what I was doing wrong with my dogs...hense why Tequila is a pain in the butt and runs my house...lol. I am working on her and Ginger so I can get use to all these techniques and can help others better understand it if I actually use it on my dogs.
Yeah wish me luck so I dont get eaten by the nasty dogs...lol!!! I have talked to the owners and the only problem with these dogs are that they are spoiled!!!
-Jessica

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can't speak specifically re chis, but Jessica's advice worked on a lab. I think it's really worth trying.

I know how hard it is, though, to suspect you're going to be bitten and follow through, but just remember he's a lot smaller than you. lol

Kind of like winning a fight, if you stop being afraid of getting hurt you have a lot better chance of winning. (OY! My old days resurfacing again! Where's the chocolate to soothe the savage breast? hehe)

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts