Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm out of the Childrens Benadryl Dye Free that I use for the dogs.

I went out last night to Walgreens to pick some up, and the Pharmacist told me that they haven't had any for 3 weeks. I went home thinking nothing much of it except that I won't be coming here anymore... I mean come on 3 weeks!! I went out this morning and hit up three other stores- Target, CVS, and SaveMart. NOTHING!!!
Has this product been recalled? The Pharmacist at Walgreens didn't mention it, but I'm thinking something is up. I've never had trouble getting this particular Benadryl before.
Amazon.com says it's no longer available, which is odd. :confused:
I can't find anything about a recall online, except from back in April 2010.

This is the Benadryl that I'm talking about

I bought the same type of "benadryl" but it's the generic brand at Target. I guess it's their brand. Is that okay to give or does it have to be Benadryl?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you got generic diphenhydramine then you are fine. It is just the generic form of benadryl. Read the label and make sure it doesn't have xlitol added as a sweetener. If not, then you are good to go.

I have no idea why you couldn't find the dye free benadryl!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks Tracy. I just checked and it doesn't have xlitol, so the generic I got should be okay to use. :) I bought benadryl tablets too. Just in case. ;)

Yeah, It's so weird. I wonder if it's just my area?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I looked for it recently as well and couldn't find it..

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
We just started Reese on Benadryl a few days ago to help with his itching and tried to get the childrens tablets to cut in half for him, but there has been a huge recall on them and everyone is out, so we got liquid. I wonder if the dye free liquid has been recalled as well??

I've never been able to find it so I buy the adult Benedryl tablets & cut it into fourths.
The problem with cutting the adult tablets into 1/4s is all the medicine may be in one quarter of the pill, so sometimes she gets a big dose and the rest of the time gets nothing. Pills that arent scored to be split dont have the medicine equally distributed throughout the pill. If youre splitting one of the kids 12 mg tablets in half youre much more likely to get even doses than splitting up an adult 25 into 4 or 5 pieces. Im hoping the get the kids tablets back on the shelves soon, Reese HATES the liquid :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts