Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Mickey has done so well at re-housebreaking. Now we're prefecting using potty pads at night so mommy can sleep and as a backup for blizzards. He has to have 2 pads out, though. One to poop on and one to pee on. Anyone else have to do this? Just curious, I'd put down 6 to be able to sleep all night. hehe Thought someone might be able to explain the dog psychology of this. He doens't do 1 & 2 in the same spot in the yard or on walks, either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my pup is 16 weeks old and she is mainly using pads as we live in a 1st floor flat - i've noticed as soon as she poops on a pad she won't use it again and will go and toilet somewhere else (the least enjoyable game of sneaky poo ever!) also, if she's peed on the pad twice she won't use it again - not sure if she's just being a diva but would be interested to see if others are similar!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Guess I'm lucky since he will reuse them. Since he usually only uses them at night and sometimes sleeps through the night we can get several days out of 2 pads. When he was rehomed to us he was an expert at stealth poohing. Yeah, that's no fun. I've still never caught him going in the house even though he now knows its a good dog thing to use the potty pads. Good luck with your little one.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Kippers was that way. I found she hated standing in a wet spot. (she also did not like walking in wet grass) The puppy pads I had been using would hold the moisture, and that was why she would not step back on them once they were used.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I use the washable pads and my chi's use them all day. I wash every other night, so I have about 11 of them. Two go into the playpens, one behind the sofa, one in my bedroom. I pick up the poop immediately, or the sheltie gets it!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about switching to washable pads. Was it easy to switch? Where do you get them?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I recently switched to washable pads from using disposable pads for almost 6 yrs with Lulu and longer than that with our 1st Maltese. We did have to put the disposable pad on top of the washable one for a few days for her to get used to the scent, but after that she was fine with it. I like them so much better than disposable ones. I bought mine at Walgreens in the section where you would buy adult depends and pads for hospital bed and hospital care-type stuff. The initial investment is more, but you can buy a couple at a time if that helps. In the long run I think it's cheaper, and I don't have that feeling every time I throw away a disposable pad that I should be trying to protect the environment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts