Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom's little 4.5 lb chi Taylor has caught his first mouse in their house. I'm amazed he caught it, was wondering if anyone else's chi had managed this?

My parents live out in the woods and always have a tough time with mice this time of year. They have 2 cats, traps, and Taylor now on mouse patrol LOL.

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is if he catches and eats one when they aren't there, will it make him sick? I can't imagine any mice are healthy little things that live in the wild but I don't know much about them...he's dewormed on a normal schedule and whatnot, but what about issues aside from that?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I asked my dad this a while back as my cat caught some mice that were taking residence up in my house, and she ate about 3/4 of the mouse. He said to deworm her about a month after eating the mouse, if it's a 'regular' thing then regular deworming (for tapeworms) every 3-4 months.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. LOL never would have thought of him eating it til I saw your earlier post. But I guess he is seriously onto these mice and its likely he will catch more. Until about December they can never get rid of them despite keeping all food in airtight containers, floors sparkling clean, etc. I hate mice, glad I don't live there anymore lol.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey is far to lazy to do that lol even if she seen a mouse she would care I reckon!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The day after I got Pippi, I took her for her first walk with me, and she caught a pigeon - While she was still on lead!!! Since then we've had mice, rats and various birds being caught. She doesnt very often now thank goodness though! Shes never been allowed to eat any of them though!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Eating a mouse could be very dangerous if someone in the neighborhood put out poison and the mouse had eaten some. We had a Chi many years ago that caught a mouse and ate it and then got sick and upchucked it up all over the house!

Jeanette

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny, I read somewhere they were bred to be mousers, maybe they are better at it than we think!

I agree about the being sure they don't eat them...but how, I'm not sure. I guess someone is almost always home with him, but...ick!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Eating a mouse could be very dangerous if someone in the neighborhood put out poison and the mouse had eaten some. We had a Chi many years ago that caught a mouse and ate it and then got sick and upchucked it up all over the house!

Jeanette
Actually I've asked my dad about this, unless they eat a TON of mice that have been killed with the poison there isn't enough in their system to cause a problem in cats or dogs. We have a client who has terriers, who had a mouse problem so was using decon in her shed (where the dogs couldn't get them) her dogs were constantly finding mice and eating them, despite her efforts to clean them up as quick as she could.

I do agree though it's probably not the 'best' for dogs to eat the wild mice. The ones I fed Zoey & Ziva were bred for being 'feeder' mice for snakes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hmmmmm ... some years ago a neighbor's cat died from eating a poisoned mouse/mice ... at least that's what the vet told them, and he was bigger than my Chi. I would never knowingly allow one of my dogs to eat any mouse! Let's go have a chewie!

Jeanette

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I agree with Lady J here.
Decon/poison doesnt kill all mice
but they can have it in their gut.
Your chi can be poisoned eating it.
Sounds like you have another issue:
mice proofing your house.They usually come
in on kitchen pipes under the sink from the basement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts