Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy has quite the habit of whining a lot. I have grown up with dogs and have even assisted a local trainer with training, I am stumped with him. He is still very young, only 9 weeks, but he is not happy anywhere but with me and I mean WITH me..on the couch, carrying him. I wait till he is calm before I pick him up, I have been crate training him, and basically I just leave him completely alone until he stops, once he stops and is with me he will snuggle up to me and whine. The vet says he looks good, they haven't found anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
He is very young and is missing his mum and litter mates.
But yes put him down and ignore him for a few mins and over time make the time that you leave him longer. Once he is calm pick him up otherwise he may think you are rewarding him for crying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will have to try putting him back down until calm. I foster a lot and have had lots of puppies and usually they are content with exploring for a little, even the other chi's I have had. Each puppy is an individual though and I can't see him as all the other puppies I have been around. He is very different from any of them and I wouldn't change that for the world. He needs some confidence though for sure, he is a very submissive puppy and the smallest things scare him. I am working on his socialization and everything, he will come around in his own way I am sure. He does play with our husky puppy once in a while at least.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
It sounds like normal behaviour for a scared baby puppy taken away from his family too soon. I would try and pick him up before he starts whining, and just keep building up his confidence. Crate training is a great idea, so he has his safe place. If he bonds with your other dog, I think that will really help him too. Can you have him in a sling while he is so young and insecure? If you carry him around whilst doing your day to day activities, it will help him to feel secure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts