Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor little P-Nut's butt started to smell really bad and her anal area looked quite inflamed. Poor little thing. She seemed fine though in spirits. I took her to the vet today and he wants to remove the anal sacs. Has anyone ever done this? Has anyone ever had a problem similar to this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... I do not want her to have to suffer with this problem forever... I just do not want to have to put her though surgery if I do not have to.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Wow! Poor P-Nut! I have heard of the anal sacs being stopped up--but having them removed????? I'm sure there is someone on here who can help with advice. Poor little guy! :(

sandra

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's not common to remove them entirely, but it if they are infected and abcess (this is very common) then we usually place a drain in the sac and let it heal. Unless your dog has some other issues with chronic anal sacculitis or some other physical problems with the sacs themselves, I can't think of any reason to remove them after one episode of sacculitis.

Maybe get a second opinion?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree, get a second opinion from another vet. It is usually not recommended to have the sacs removed unless there has been chronic problems with them in the past. In very rare cases, it has been reported that this surgery if done inproperly can lead to even more problems and incontinence. So, unless absolutely necessary I wouldn't have it done and would ask for medication to help clean and heal the absesseds sacs.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I agree! It never hurts to get a second opinion. I know it will help ease your mind, surgery should always be a last resort. Some Vets are not as conservative as others, when it comes to doing surgery.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P-Nut has a second opinion on Wed. morning at 11:30--- I will keep everyone posted. My poor little baby is stinky and miserable :( I hate that there is nothing I can do quite yet to fix this problem. This was the soonest we could get into out friend's vet who came highly recommended... sad thing is that I love Pnut's vet but this whole situation has really upset me and made me start to think otherwise.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
If she is stinky and uncomfortable didnt he empty the sacs for you which would have eased the situation for the time being?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I'm so sorry for poor lil P-Nut. :cry: Lily has her anal sacs expressed every 4-5 months (it used to be every 2-3 months when she was on a lower quality food). At one time I inquired about having the sacs removed and I was told it would only be a last resort. I'm so glad you're going for a 2nd opinion. Hopefully you will find some resolution that is much less invasive for our girl P-Nut. :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker gets his anals expressed about very six to eight weeks-or-so. My vet said that removing them would be a last resort because there are nerves back there, that if damaged during removal of the anal sacs, could cause permanent incontinence of the bowels. :(

I read somewhere on the internet that this surgery is seldom done, but if it must be done, it should be done by a vet who's had experience in doing this type of procedure since it is such a delicate surgery and so much is at stake.

Please keep us updated on P-Nut's 2nd opinion Wednesday.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
cosmo gets high quality food and still he has to be expressed almost monthly :shock: he's not smelly , but i smell something weird on his 'feaces 'and he starts bum-dragging.
i also asked what we could do about this .....but my vet also told me that removing the anal sac was really a last solution.
when he's getting neutered in 2 weeks they are giving him a needle with cortisone in his anal sac...and that should stop his problems.

i don't know exactly why......but i think Nate does :D ....

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the input everyone, it is much appreciated. Today her butt is not as inflamed or smelly (Thank God!)... but I am still taking her tomorrow and getting it looked at. She was sooooooo miserable... poor little thing.

I feed her great quality dog food and other than that she does not eat too much... she gets treats here and there but that is about it. I guess I just do not know what caused this problem.

Thanks again everyone...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Let us know what the second vet's opinion is, please :lol: Good luck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was quite happy earlier today as Pnut's rear looked less inflamed and did not have that bad smell... well, as the day progresses it is worsening again so it is indeed a problem. I cannot wait to get her to the vet tomorrow... 11;30am cannot come soon enough! I will post as soon as I get home... this is really starting to stress me out :(

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Some may beg to differ with me, but actually the dog foods with the most grain fillers are the most beneficial to the anal sacs emptying on their own. Most vets will tell you that if your pet is having anal sac problems, that the best way to remedy it is to add fiber to the diet, such as a teaspoon-or-so of canned pumpkin a day for small breeds. With all of these improved foods causing less bowel movements---and smaller ones when they do come---the anal sacs do not get enough pressure exerted on them to empty them when the dog passes his stool.

I am not saying that the foods with more grains are the healthiest ones for our furbabies. I am just stating the facts concerning the need for fiber which has in a large part been removed from the more expensive foods. :)

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
hiya poor p nut my chi tyke had an anal gland abcess which was really bad i kept it clean about 5 times a day as much to his disgust keep having baths ha the vet said if it came back he would have to remove the sacs he said it was a last resort but a common operation luckily enough i kept it clean and it didnt return fingers crossed all goes well for p nut good luck vicki

1 - 20 of 30 Posts