Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Despite having him quarantined at another foster home during treatment, it seems that my dear Kahlua has come down with kennel cough because of little Ziggy. (He was on Doxycycline for 2 weeks, which is how long the previous vet said to keep him separated.) So long story short, vet prescribed Amoxicillin. I was fine with that; I know most strains of bordetella need to just run their course but the antibiotics prevent the secondary infections and I'd rather be proactive at preventing it. Kahlua does fine on antibiotics; but in general has a sensitive tummy. I wondered if anyone had any experience giving a probiotic product, like this:

Probiotics with Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil - Nutri-Vet

I'm considering it not just because shes on a course of antibiotics now; but in general it seems like it's beneficial to many dogs with a sensitive GI tract. I do know that refrigerated formulas of probiotics don't help; as once the good bacteria encounters body heat, it is destroyed. I also know I usually supplement her with fish oil capsules anyway for Omega-3's so this would cover both of those. So anyone used probiotics and care to give a review on the experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VERY good information, thank you!!! She just seems under the weather now from the kennel cough. She was wheezing in the beginning; but has been doing better since being on the antibiotics to prevent bronchitis etc. Because of that, is why I was considering probiotics since I know the Amoxicillin destroys both good and bad bacteria.. so in that case, if the seats are being ushered out, she'll need to sell out the show to get them replaced. =D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Very interesting! I keep coming back and reading this thread. After doing some digging I did decide to put her on it, at least while she's taking the antibiotics. She has a pretty sensitive system so I'm sure I'll see any adverse affects right away; so will keep everyone posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.