Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 6 month old kitten that is the size of a 8 week old kitten. The only disability the kitten seems to show is a constant purring, so if she is breathing she is purring and then when she purrs on her on it is much louder.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Is it purring or meowing? My mother has an 11 yr old cat who never stops meowing - always has, someone once said it's because it has some siamese in it - t'would drive you completely nuts!!!

Are you thinking of getting this kitten?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been considering it. They say it is purring, I have not met the kitten yet, it was just something that tugged at my heartstrings. It actually isnt full dwarfism, it is a combination of dwarfism and stunted growth due to lack of nutrition. They were 2 weeks old when rescued and the littermate continued to grow and is 3 times the size of this little female. Her eyes, ears, legs, etc.. are much smaller as well. She gave me this info ....She has no swollen joints, she seems to be in no pain what so ever, she is a play full funny thing with a good amount of energy. Most of her dwarfism is caused by the pituitary gland: it doesn't secrete the growth hormone, and it cause her to have a metabolism. She will need a high fat high protein diet(vet recommended an egg once a day) to keep her weight on, she loses weight faster than she can keep it on without this diet. Her food will also need to be moistened to help her eat as she still has baby teeth. Basically the pituitary gland quite working at a certain point and halted her development. Leaving her roughly as developed as an 8-10 week old.

·
Administrator
9,991 Posts
I have been considering it. They say it is purring, I have not met the kitten yet, it was just something that tugged at my heartstrings. It actually isnt full dwarfism, it is a combination of dwarfism and stunted growth due to lack of nutrition. They were 2 weeks old when rescued and the littermate continued to grow and is 3 times the size of this little female. Her eyes, ears, legs, etc.. are much smaller as well. She gave me this info ....She has no swollen joints, she seems to be in no pain what so ever, she is a play full funny thing with a good amount of energy. Most of her dwarfism is caused by the pituitary gland: it doesn't secrete the growth hormone, and it cause her to have a metabolism. She will need a high fat high protein diet(vet recommended an egg once a day) to keep her weight on, she loses weight faster than she can keep it on without this diet. Her food will also need to be moistened to help her eat as she still has baby teeth. Basically the pituitary gland quite working at a certain point and halted her development. Leaving her roughly as developed as an 8-10 week old.

The part I changed to Red is common with most cats! They need wet high protein fatty foods. I would ask your Vet if there is a gland issue will it effect her as she gets older and cause any complications but it is cases like these that make my heart melt and adopt

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I posted at the same time as your explanation.
She sounds like she will be healthy, just tiny. I quite like the idea of a 'tea cup' kitty lol!
Consider feeding her raw, then you can be certain she is getting all the protein and fats she needs. She will need good quality food, no space for rubbish and fillers in a tummy that small.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am a sucker for anything that is undersized. I go melty for the broken and the bitty.

I second the suggestion of raw feeding, though. Especially considering her heightened metabolism and the fact that her body's gone a bit funky, raw really seems the way to go.

Pictures, please! I want to see this little niblet!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a friend with a dwarf Persian kitty. She is about 6 months old now and still looks like an 8 week old kitten. The vet said she is perfectly healthy, just tiny, and that she should live a normal life. They haven't had any issues keeping weight on her although their dog is fat to the point of being obese so I don't think that was ever going to be an issue in this particular household!

As long as your vet says she should ave a relatively normal and healthy life I say go for it! And don't skimp on the pics when you get her!

235 Posts
Yeah omg pics how cute
My moms pomeranian has dwarfism and hes a perrrfectly healthy lil guy xxxxx
When he was born he was much smaller then the other pups but he was the last born so we just thought he was not to sound mean but "the runt" uno but when we brought them to the vet he suggested dwarfism and he just needed extra feeding and care but now hes a lil happy healthy guy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts