Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finn worries me to death. Some mornings he doesn't want to eat.
TOday was one of those days, and he does this a couple times a wk i'd say...he just won't eat until evening. And today he had bowel movements that were messy with mucous in them too. :( Does anyone else have a chi that does this?? I don't think there's anything wrong as he acts normal but this bothers me.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo seems to do this. Sometimes he just doesn't want to eat (he's 8 weeks old). He'll eat a tiny bit then leave it. Then he'll go back to it in the afternoon. He wouldn't even eat a piece of sausage before. I am amazed at how little he eats and drinks but I give him the opportunity a lot, he has lots of energy, he's not too skinny and he looks well so I guess he must be ok.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Finn worries me to death. Some mornings he doesn't want to eat.
TOday was one of those days, and he does this a couple times a wk i'd say...he just won't eat until evening. And today he had bowel movements that were messy with mucous in them too. :( Does anyone else have a chi that does this?? I don't think there's anything wrong as he acts normal but this bothers me.
Hi Cheryl, wow someone else has the same concern as me! Lately Benny will not eat in the morning either. Of course if I offer a treat he scoffs that down, so now I don't offer any in the am. He seems fine, he plays and runs around. Now when it is time for evening meal (usually around 6) he does not eat either, he will sniff it and watch Frankie eat. Around 8 or so he goes over to his food and this is when he eats. Damn, he goes all day till 8 without food. This has been going on for a few weeks almost every day. He poops once a day, that seems normal. In fact he was in for his annual checkup 2 weeks ago and vet says that he is fine except he needs to lose weight.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby never wants to eat!! He is just a very light eater, so I am considering going back to free feeding like he did when he was a pup. He seemed to do better that way. He is always more interested in playing or sleeping... no issues with his stools though. I hope you get answers!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My little one is going through some difficulty eating anything that isn't soft ATM but my two adults never don't want to eat. They basically sit by their bowls morning and night until they're fed and whenever I go into the kitchen they follow me 'just in case' I may relent and give them something else. Ax does have a mucousy stool about once every week or so but then he's back to normal the next day so I don't really worry about it.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Baby did not start eating twice a day until she was 4 years old she just did not want it at all no matter what food it was she would go all day and not eat until supper time. No idea why she decided to start eating 2 meals but she eats it everyday now for the past 2 years or so. I tell her sometimes that if she doesn't eat it that I'm gonna eat it and then she'll run over and munch it down lol!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well he normally has eaten two meals for a long time now.. I can't help but wonder with his messy stools..
It shouldnt be the heat since our house is cool. I offered him pumpkin tonight and he won't eat it. Before when this happened a couple days ago he wouldn't even eat pnt butter off my finger. :( He STILL hasn't ate anything and it's 8:30!!!!

I have also been wondering about his new food. I think he sometimes did it before but i think he's doing it more now with the food change. He's been on Innova prime now for probably 6 wk or so...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
It could be the heat...

And with the mucous-y stools, it could be irritable bowel syndrom or mild pancreatitis that just flares up now and then.

If he seems okay otherwise, I would just wait it out and see if his appetite improves when it's cooler.

As cool as I keep my house and as little as mine are outside in this 100+ degree weather, it doesn't seem to bother their appetites at all.

Could he be getting into something he isn't supposed to eat?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma never wants to eat. She was skipping meals so often that I just gave up and have started free feeding her. Now from the time we wake up to the time we go to bed, there's a full plate of food down all day. Sometimes she'll only eat one full meal per day. Her bowel movements are all normal and she has a healthy amount of energy, so I guess she's just a light eater. It just drives me nuts because sometimes she won't eat dinner, then when she wakes up in the morning she's obviously starving so she'll devour an entire plate of food worthy of two meals, and then the cycle repeats and she won't be hungry for dinner. I wish she'd just eat like a normal dog!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its honestly hard to say...as you know I have the one dog that just absolutely can't eat kibble (Bryco). It might not be agreeing with him? Since he does fine most of the time, it makes me wonder too if he might be getting into something.

As far as only eating once a day -- that isn't totally uncommon. I would worry more about that if it were a puppy or a dog under 3 lbs. How is his body weight/condition? Is he thin? If not, he probably is getting enough and just isn't hungry otherwise.

I hate to suggest it but is it possible he might be snacking on some poop outside? That could explain the runny BM's as well as the mucous.

I might want to run a CBC blood panel if he were mine to see that his values were within the normal range.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can tell you positively he doesn't eat or even seem interested in poo. I go out with him every time. There isn't anything he could be getting in and he follows me all.day.long. lol so i always know what he's doing. He has been a little sluggish today,not really playing but laying around a little more.
Our house has central air so he is cool all the time.
It happens a few times a wk so it really does worry me a bit. Weight wise I thnk he's 5 lbs and not skinny or fat. I just keep wondering if it's his food!?:confused:

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel like it did, but its happening more often now. I am holding him right now. he is acting pitiful sitting with his head down. he seems relaxed in my arms though. i am boiling a chkn breast now 2 see if he will eat some of it. still wont eat pumpkin..leila stole some though lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'd keep him on the chicken breast and some boiled rice for a week or so. Give his system some time to repair. Maybe half a pepto tablet (shove it down his throat) in the AM and the PM before bed. The problem may just be there is some irritation that needs time to heal. If that didn't work, honestly I would get him to a vet for a check.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thank you Dr. Green! :D
I don't buy rice, is minute white okay? I will pick some up tomorrow! He is resting comfortably in his bed by me now. He definitely is acting better and looks happier. :) Love my little man! :love1: I tell you, I could not live without my finny!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.