Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I dont have bigger dogs but i have 2 cats and there fine together but my sis has 6 chis and a border collie and the border collie is definately the alpha of the group. she isnt mean to the chis its just feeding is seperate my sis has to feed the bigger dog in a diffrent room. but it wasnt always that way it didnt get that way till my sis got so many chis i think its almost like a pack issue (cause there is 7 dogs) there is a definate hyarchy ranking with them all. but when it was just 2 dogs( border collie and 1 chi it wasnt like that) I used to have a pit bull and a shitzue and the shitszu would take naps on the pits back they loved each outher so i guess it just depends on the situation. :wink:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sometimes I stay with my parents and they have an akita. She is still a pup also like my Hershey. Only a month older than Hershey. Abby is her name, she is too playful and I don't let them interact together with Hershey on the ground. Abby is to rough. One time Hershey jumped on the floor and started chasing Abby around and Abby didn't notice for a while then when she noticed she wanted to play with Hershey. I was soo scared :shock: For about three minutes all anyone could see was Hershey chasing Abby, Abby jumping around wanting to play, and me trying to catch Hershey before she got trampled. I still don't know how that whole situation would have turned out if I hadn't caught Hershey and for her safety I don't want to find out. That day I almost died from a heart attack. :(

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a miniature daschund, not very tall, but very long and heavy :). Her and Mr Big play fight all day long every day!. Its always tame, never got out of hand. I think you just introduce them slowly and watch them very carefully until you trust them, but I am not sure I would ever entirely trust a very large dog, as it only takes a moment even in play, to seriously damage a chi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes

yes I have a Dobie that weights about probabely 65 pounds and maybe be as much as his father at 110 pounds. Keiley is only 1 pound and 13 ounces and has gained weight well even though she is a finicky eater. My dobie just adores her. He goes looking for her in her kennel, under the bed and the first thing in the morning. He was jealous at first but now he just can't live without her and she has been apart of our family for only about two and a half weeks. They are a dinamic duo. look for my picture of them together on my profile.(shes in front of his chest)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have two bigger dogs.. well there bigger than Lola. I have a shit-zu and a toy fox terrier. They all get along great. The only problem is the two bigger girls play rough and they don't know how to play with Lola yet so they kinda swipe her like a bear would.. She loves it though. She goes right back after them.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
the only dog I have is gadget... My neighbor across form us has a big dog... we call him the gentle giant... he loves little dogs to snuggle with but Gadget won't have anything to do with him....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Vanessa said:
Sometimes I stay with my parents and they have an akita. She is still a pup also like my Hershey. Only a month older than Hershey.
We have a Shiba Inu,Princess, which is a bit smaller than an Akita. We don't let Dixie play with her since Dixie hasn't had all her shots and Princess is an outdoor dog. Princess doesn't really care for the females though.. She thinks shes the alpha-female :lol: But Dixie beats up our cat, Buster... Poor thing :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
My daughter has a Lab. She is so gentle and sweet. Her name is Shadow. We spend a lot of time visiting them in St. Louis. Shadow and Punky where always fine together. In February they each had a rawhide chip. Punky went up to Shadow to take it from her mouth playfully. Shadow snapped at Punky and bit her eye. All we could see was blood and a hole in Punky's eyelid. 11:00 at night we were off to the emergency Animal Hospital. Her eyelid was punctured and her cornea was cut. The Vet said if Shadow had been four inches further back Punky would have lost the whole eye or maybe had her skull punctured. Said he sees it all the time in the clinic!

Anyway he said to keep the dogs apart. He also said when you have such a fragile little dog you have to keep them safe.

Shadow's Vet was where I went for follow up treatment. He knows Shadow. (unlike the other Vet) He said not to worry about Shadow with Punky but not to EVER give them treats together in the same room. It's just an instinct to protect their food.

We're still always vigilant since Punky can be more spunky and might agitate out of playfulness. My daughter loves Punky and wants a Chi, but now she's afraid to have such a large dog (Shadow is 80 lbs) with a little one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have two dogs at home - a girl chi and a boy border collie. My girl coco absolutely adores Zac and Zac was jealous when coco first came home, but now they follow each other around and chase each other. Zac has caught coco plenty of times but they just stop and bark they dont bite eachother - if you have any two dogs together you should make sure they are tame and also dont feed them together as thats the only time i've had any problems!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I have a basset hound mix & she gets along with my chi just fine as a matter of fact Tader enjoys "beating" her up everyday. I also have a cat but it chases him go figure!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 18 lb. Jack Russell who loves Stewie! They bark at one another and "fight" - it would be easy for Ernie to clamp down on Stewart but he never has. They like to chase each other and fight over the same toys. We do however supervise their entire time together just to be sure that nothing happens. I have a feeling if anything happened it would not be intentional but we don't want to chance it.

Although I do have to say that 8 out of 10 times....Stewart is the instigator!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
really- is punky okay?

oh my goodness that must have been so scary for all of you. But punky is okay now right? Does she have any of the after math of this now? Is the picture you have of her on your profile after this incident or not? and about how long ago was it that this happened?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: really- is punky okay?

krystaray said:
oh my goodness that must have been so scary for all of you. But punky is okay now right? Does she have any of the after math of this now? Is the picture you have of her on your profile after this incident or not? and about how long ago was it that this happened?
It happened in January. She's fine now. The Vet said they have three layers to the cornea and it would heal. The picture is before. But she's fine now, the eyelid healed with no scar. She did walk way around Shadow for awhile when she passed her.
What scared me the most was when the Vet came out and said, Ï have good news and bad news". They had taken Punky in and had me wait in the waiting room.(Which was different for me because they always have me go in at other Vets, maybe because it was an emergency clinic?) And then when he went on to tell me how he has many that lose their eye and puncture the skull that upset me!!
Anyway she's OK, I swear sometimes I can see what looks like a dark hair in that eye, maybe it was the slice.

Thank You for your interest! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a Shepherd mix that is 20 pounds and about 5 months old. Peanut still barks at him at times but they seem to be doing fine.. I dont let them play yet or be very close to each other because I am not sure how Shrimpy will act since I adopted him a little less than a month ago. My Fiance has a 100 pound Lab and Peanut LOVES him. He goes crazy when he sees Cody and wants to be around him all the time! :lol:

Yael

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh my gosh

well im glad that punky is okay. I would be devastated. Im glad that everything worked out so well. Thank you for replying in such a nice manner. some people that I have talked to haven't always been nice. just a general question do you know how to upload pictures to your profile? I had mine deleted by someone and my pictures come out blury cuz mine are from a camera phone.. it would really help. thanks krysta

·
Registered
175 Posts
Re: oh my gosh

krystaray said:
well im glad that punky is okay. I would be devastated. Im glad that everything worked out so well. Thank you for replying in such a nice manner. some people that I have talked to haven't always been nice. just a general question do you know how to upload pictures to your profile? I had mine deleted by someone and my pictures come out blury cuz mine are from a camera phone.. it would really help. thanks krysta
It took me forever to get my picture of Punky. The whole reason was because it was too big and wouldn't attach. I still have no clue on how to do the larger one under the posting :(
Click on Profile at the top and then where it says upload avatar, click on browse. Find your picture in tel list that comes up and then submit. If it doesn't appear it's probably too big. Can't be more than 10 KB.
I had someone do it for me the first time and he downloaded a great program to help me resize. It's called Picasa 2. You can find it on the Internet. I'm still not great at this , so if i didn't explain it clearly maybe more help for you is in the Siggys and graphics forum and ask the question to someone more experienced.
I'm sorry :( you haven't felt treated nicely. Keep posting and I'm sure you'll meet nicer people :flower:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have 2 Great Danes a Weimaraner and a 3lb Yorkie. We also have 2 cats and one weighs 20+lbs, LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts