Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired as i write this so please excuse any typos. Was up every 1 1/2 - 2 hours with 3 day old pup. Discussed birth in another post so wont go into that again but the short of it now is that this pup has a cleft lip and yes we have been to vet and go again this morning. As well my neighbor is a vet so he has been over as well. Looking for more practicle experience.

Basically he seems to want to drink sooo much and quite often. I am using a syringe as easier to know exactly how much he has had and with bottle was hard to get the wholes exactly right. He started off eating about 2cc at a time but since last night wants almost 4 cc everytime and quite often. His belly is round he is peeing great and pooping too ( with my assistance ) . He has a very strong suck but of course with syringe he does not have to do much work. Know this from having also bottle fed.

Just would like to hear from others who have experince with syringe feeding and or cleft lips.

One last note, yes i have a breeder mentor however i live in switzerland and thus all communication is in german and being that i am a native english speaker, like to be able to discuss in english, just easier when in a worrying situation.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have no experience with chi breeding. Im willing to share our experience on one of our shih tzu's who gave birth c-section and refused to breastfeed. We fed the pup ( Bouncy) every hour as you are doing and stimulating the pelvic area so the Bouncy would pass stools and urinate. The most important thing we did was to leave a spot light type of lamp, on 24 hrs to keep her warm. She did very well. Bouncy is 6 months old now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bottle fed George and would give him the amount he wanted. I never measured and didn't worry about it that much. As long as the pup is gaining weight and thriving, don't worry about it. Having a vet around is great, but try not to get too bogged down in the numbers (how much to feed, how much weight gained/lost). If the pup seems healthy, don't worry ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts