Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! i know i haven't posted in awhile, i've been busy with the puppies, lol. anyway, i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if not, i'm sorry. one of my friends is considering getting a chihuahua and she's been asking me all kinds of questions about them. she doesn't have a computer, and has had some trouble getting on-line at her local library (it's very small, there's almost always someone on both of their computers, lol) so i figured it would be best if i helped her out by printing some stuff out for her. we ordered chihuahuas for dummies, but till it gets here i'm trying to find out as much as i can for her, since at least she's being responsible enough to try to find out about the breed before she goes and gets one. my problem is i can't seem to sort out all the breeder sites that just want to sell you a pup from ones with valid info when i google search. i know i found alot of great sites when i researched chi's before i got mine, but i didn't bookmark them, and even tho i remember alot of the information i think it would be better to print it out for her if possible so she can re-read it later if she forgets. there was one site in particular that had alot of do's and don't, especially about things you should NEVER feed your chi that i wish i could find again, but thats all i really remember from that one. anyway, if any of you know of any sites that might help and could point me in the right direction (or if there is another thread about this somewhere) it would be a great help. thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
coopers mom, your so smart, lol! actually that was the one place so far that i did find some good info.

another thing i'm noticing, the other sites i've found that all have pretty generic info seem to give alot of conflicting info when it comes to grooming. particularly bathing chi's. some say once a month cause more will cause dandruff and dry skin, while others say bath them frequently for shiny coats. personally i bath mine whenever i have a free minute and can get a hold of them long enough, and they have that funky puppy smell, which works out to be around every month and a half. in the winter it gets cold in my drafty house so sometimes i'll put it off longer so i don't freeze them, but i always wipe them down with baby wipes once a week in between so they don't get too smelly. i guess i'm just wondering what the rest of you think about this info, cause i don't remember ever reading that they should be bathed more than once a month before... :scratch:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think information you find on the internet is going to conflict with other information you find just because 'you do things one way and I do things another' situations.

I can say from my own personal experience that I just use common sense (which some people will tell you I have very little of) and what has worked in the past to get me through raising my boy. He's turned out pretty well, although I have given him just about everything on the "don't feed your dog this" list, let him roam around before his puppy vaccinations were done and I basically treat him like a dog. LOL If everything on the internet was true, Cooper wouldn't have made it past his first day with me.

Any good breeder will also give you basic info on care of a chi puppy in general and things to look out for but since I received Cooper in my arms, I pledged to never treat him as something fragile because they'll believe it if you do. I think he's turned out to the a pretty well-adjusted Chihuahua.

Oh... and I bathe Cooper once a week... sometimes once every 2 weeks. He also swims and plays in water a lot but he also gets Omega 3 and 6 to replenish any moisture or oils removed from his coat from bathing. And he's silky smooth too! Like a baby's bum!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, see, thats the thing, when i got my 2 chi's neither one of them came from a good breeder who gave me any info at all. pheobe was a rescue dog, and beefy would have been if someone who loved him hadn't come along. so pretty much everything i know about them, i found out for myself. at first i was really cautious with pheobe, but now that i have to of them and a one year old, and puppies, i'm at the point where i hope none of them do anything too horrible while i'm not looking, and i rely on common sence to get me by when they do. still it can hurt to read up on stuff so you have an idea of what to expect, so thats why i'm trying to encourage my friend to do some research. lol, i'll never forget the first time phoebe "reverse sneezed" and i thought she was choking cause nobody told me that chi's sometimes do that when they get excited. i figure alot of stuff you read on the net is to be taken with a grain of salt. and even if i don't change how i do things, i still think its interesting to see how others do it. sometimes they'll think of something you might try but never would have thought of.

btw coopers mom, i was reading some of the posts around here earlier, and i'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your candy bar, lol.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Thank you for your kind words in regards to my candy bar. And yes, it has most definitely passed. My back yard looks like a snowman had diahrrea.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:sign5: poor coopers mom! (i have no sympathy for cooper tho, since he brought it on himself from what i gather)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
lisa_1018 said:
btw coopers mom, i was reading some of the posts around here earlier, and i'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your candy bar, lol.
OH LORD..You just HAD to bring that up, didn't ya! I thought i was gonna have to drive all the way to Austin just to save ma'boy! :D Don't get her all wound up again! :sign5:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts