Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I haven't been here in a while. My two boys are doing great and they love playing with their new furcousin. My boyfriend's sister got a new dog from a rescue and was told he was a Chihuahua and Pomeranian mix. He was about 2 months when they got him. Well now, 2 months later, he grew a lot and now we are not sure what mix he is. He was all white when they got him; now he's white with brown spots and his skin is spotted too. He has long legs and weighs probably 8 or 9 lbs. I'll include some pictures and I would appreciate any opinions on what he might be. Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well, he could be a Chi/Pom mix. He kinda looks like the Taco Bell dog with hair. VBG I've seen shaved down Poms that look like this so I wouldn't argue against that mix. Of course, anything is possible and he could have some Terrier back there. Who knows? I don't think it matters. He's cute and I just love his down ears. They give him the most adorable expression. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I don't see Pom, but I'm no expert. Very cute, though! :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I've no clue, but he's very cute. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Perhaps a Papillon mix of some sort?

If you REALLY wanted to know, you could do a DNA test.

He's cute either way! Love those floppy, fuzzy ears :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think he could be a Pom/Chi mix, or a Papillon/Chi mix. He is adorable!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
He is adorable i wouldnt argue with saying theres possibly Pomerainian, Papilon or even Chinese Powderpuff with the undercoat colours coming through and his ears look to large to stand up? So im not sure! But he's still very cute!

·
Registered
544 Posts
The problem with trying to guess what a mix is, of any kind, is that everyone looks at the dog and visuallizes what a breed looks like...to Standard. There's a problem with that because most mixed breeds aren't bred from dogs that look like the purebred breed Standard of the parents. Since I do rescue, groom, and run a boarding kennel, I can attest to the fact that the majority of so called purebred dogs that come in don't look anything like the Breed Standard that they are supposed to be. When I say I've seen shaved Poms that look like this, I'm quite serious. Long muzzles, triangular heads, huge ears, and weighing about 15 pounds. Not what a Pom is supposed to look like....yet they "have papers." If you didn't know that this was supposed to be a Chi/Pom mix and it was coming into rescue with no info, we'd call it a Chi mix and be done with it. Without DNA testing, no way to know for sure. Everything that you mentioned in your OP were things that are found in "not bred to Standard" Chis (as far as structurally). The ticking is a Chi trait (those freckles on the skin and coat spots) so you can't use that to rule it out. I don't look at this pup and see any specific Breed. (And here's your best arguement for breeders breeding to the breed Standard.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not sure what he is since he's so big at 4 months..... I'm thinking a medium size dog is mixed in him somewhere.... He's so CUTE!!!! I love the spots!!! Hope you find out the mix because I want a mix like him...... I saw a lady with a short haired havanese & his hair was like that around the ears

1 - 20 of 23 Posts