Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been down my little local pet store (I'm a big fan of supporting local businesses as opposed to chain stores) and they had the usual brands plus one I hadn't heard of before - Barking Head. It's meant to be British made. The ingredient list was shorter than some of the other premium brands I've seen, and seemed pretty natural. But how good is it? They had some sample bags so I've grabbed a couple of the puppy/junior for the new pup, but I'd love to know what you all think.

Also! The pet store has a LOAD of home made puppy snacks - cheesy things, meaty things, little muffins and cakes. I assume these should be used sparingly. As well as that, they have various bones and meat offs - pigs ears, trotters, various weird dried things. Are any of these suitable for a chi? Would bones be dangerous?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I use this food now and prefer it too all the other foods i have used my gang have pooped less from eating it which is good and they are all looking good

Plus they love all the flavours they are eating the fussy dog one at the minute!! :)

Mine also eat pigs ears but only sometimes as i find them too greasy but the gang do love them we used too get lovely biscuit treats for them from pet bakery but our store hasn't got them anymore!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use this food now and prefer it too all the other foods i have used my gang have pooped less from eating it which is good and they are all looking good

Plus they love all the flavours they are eating the fussy dog one at the minute!! :)

Mine also eat pigs ears but only sometimes as i find them too greasy but the gang do love them we used too get lovely biscuit treats for them from pet bakery but our store hasn't got them anymore!
Thanks so much! Glad to know it seems like a good food to go for. The store is in the same street as my office too so it's perfect (the other brands I've seen mentioned on here are only sold at my local Pets at Home, which is a bus ride away).

I'll have to try some of the treats for him too then. :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Barking Heads has a much lower meat content than I would personally like, and also uses some grains which I personally don't like. But, as far as dog food goes its not too bad at all. I prefer grain free food such as Orijen, But if your happy with it, and your dogs are doing well on it then why change?

My boy gets pigs/cows ears, pizzle, hooves, antlers etc, he just loves his natural treats. I only buy natural treats, I refuse to buy anything 'biscuity' that contains grains or anything unnatural.

He has his antlers to chew on at all times, and get another chewy treat once or twice a week :) Hes currently on his Ziwi Peak shank bone thing x

·
Registered
768 Posts
my girls have ostritch tendons, pigs ears, just ordered some cows ears and venison trachea for them too :) Natural things are way better!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My pack loves Bully Sticks. They are smelly (the non-smelly version is more $$) and the "membrane" they are made from is a horror--but boy do the Chis love their bullies!!!!! I order them by bulk online. They get one each while I am at work. A big bully can last for days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts