Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am going through bottle after bottle of Nature's Miracle and Resolve, I was also thinking or getting a steam mop.

Of course I see the Shark and Bissell on infomercials but I wonder if you have one and like it if you could recommend whatever brand you have and use.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I hear they're good, but pay special attention to if you have the right flooring.

My house is laminate hardwood I think? Anyway the steam would cause it to come unglued so i'm stuck with a mop and bucket :(

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We've gone through 4 in the last year they just all of a sudden stop working and we always buy the top brands I'll check tmw what one we have but we use them religiously with all the pets we have u can see the black from the floor on the steam mop cloth it's insane and we do it a few times a week too! With vinegar and water in it

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Oh ya and we have only hardwood flooring in my house with exception to tile in the kitchen and bathrooms u just can't soak the wood floors u have to go over it quick and make sure u don't hold the mop in one area for too long otherwise its fine

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
We have real hardwoods and I called the installers about the steam mops and they said they are not good for hardwood

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Oh ours are real hardwood we always use them we don't soak the wood just lightly steam over it it never even leaves wet marks at all on the wood I have heard u aren't supposed to wet hardwood or mop it

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah, when I spoke with my landlord they advised against it, because it can cause the glue to lift and the wood to warp.

On tile or linoleum i'd be all over it though!!

Hardwood is a very vague term.

Finished hardwood is MUCH different than unfinished. Also, laminate, and the snap in pergo flooring are also technically hardwood - but not quite.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually want one of the ones that has the carpet attachment or is suitable for carpet. Little bit is all over my carpet and about to ruin a 9X12 Pottery Barn rug. More than anything I want the bacteria gone as to not have a new house that smells like a kennel (this was an actual quote from my husband!).

My hardwood is interesting. It is 5"-7" wide oak planks that are all rustic and look like a 100 year old farmhouse floor. No worries about dropping a can on them, they are already beaten up! haha! My mom cannot understand that we built a new home and added such "old" looking elements.

Do any of you have a steam mop suitable for rugs/carpet?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I actually want one of the ones that has the carpet attachment or is suitable for carpet. Little bit is all over my carpet and about to ruin a 9X12 Pottery Barn rug. More than anything I want the bacteria gone as to not have a new house that smells like a kennel (this was an actual quote from my husband!).

My hardwood is interesting. It is 5"-7" wide oak planks that are all rustic and look like a 100 year old farmhouse floor. No worries about dropping a can on them, they are already beaten up! haha! My mom cannot understand that we built a new home and added such "old" looking elements.

Do any of you have a steam mop suitable for rugs/carpet?
No but that new dual one, bissel maybe? my mom got one and swears by it. I haven't used it yet as she lives in Idaho but we shall see. Not sure how effective it is on smells and such, my mom used to smoke and has 2 big dogs so now that i'm away from it i'm very sensitive to smells still in the house.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have a bissell steam mop that I use on tile. I have the bissell steam cleaner that I use on carpet. I didn't know there was one that could do both!! Will be following this thread to hear more about it! :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I am um, "middle aged" and sometimes cannot sleep at night, I move to the couch and turn on tv which at 3 a.m. is pretty much infomercials-and home shopping programming.

One could go on tile and then you popped this little "frame" thing on and it raised it up to glide over carpet and rugs. At least that is how it was demonstrated. Steam only, though not an actual wet cleaner.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have a steam mop. It's a Bissell brand one, not sure of the model. We had a Shark but it broke after about 6 months of use.

Our house is entirely Bamboo floors and tile. I LOVE our steam mop. It leaves the floors feeling so nice and clean without chemicals.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, good! I read reviews like crazy and the Shark had so many comments about broken handles!

I ordered the Bissell Deluxe with the carpet glide attachment and it comes with a container of eucalyptus/mint distilled water so hopefully my carpets and rugs will be clean and smell fresh!

I paid for second day shipping so if our weather holds (we are bracing for a blizzard apparently, tomorrow) it is to arrive Wednesday!

I know. It is sad that I am so excited over a cleaning item. It will make me feel better and make the sweet hubby stop complaining about puppy wee!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Oh I LOVE my shark steamer!! I have the wider one. I have presealed hardwood and tile downstairs and it works great!! I've never had any problem with my wood. I also spray that Anywhere spray on my floor when I mop the kitchen since the girls are in there most of the time.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It's completely acceptable to be thrilled over appliances, even cleaning ones.

I talked for a week about my new LG HE washer and dryer when I bought them and all the men at work just shook their heads but all the women new that was code for: My life just got easier!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts