Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a silly question but whats the difference between the two and is 1 better than the other. Am i right to assume that that the rounder head is apple.
Thanks Anne X

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Apple heads and Deer heads are quite different.

Some say that Apple heads are closer to what the original breed are supposed to look like, with their really round appley shaped skull, big eyes, short muzzle and an almost 45degree angle between the muzzle and forehead.

Deer heads have a less rounded skull, smaller eyes, longer muzzle and longer legs. They look, like the name suggests, a deer!!

Both types of Chihuahua are valued as some people prefer one type to the other. For showing, I would imagine an apple head is prefered?
But they are all Chi's so they're all beautiful :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You are right, the apple head is the more rounded head.

If you get a deer head Chihuahua, it is probably less likely that they will have a molera (a soft spot) in their skull.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Now that you bring up the molera...Gizmo's hasn't reduced at all...which I am not worried because I make sure when kids or people touch him to not touch his head :wink:

So is there a time frame for it to close up? I know sometimes they never do...just wondering...

His is the size of a dime... :D

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
I make sure when kids or people touch him to not touch his head :wink:
So does that mean if the pup has a molera nobody can touch his head? But what if it doesnt close up?, the nobody can ever touch his/her head?
xxx

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You can touch their heads, just very gently especially around the molera. It'd be very easy for someone to press the area too hard who didn't know about it. So I tell everyone who meets her about it.

So long as you're careful then it's ok. :wave:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
nonababe said:
You can touch their heads, just very gently especially around the molera. It'd be very easy for someone to press the area too hard who didn't know about it. So I tell everyone who meets her about it.

So long as you're careful then it's ok. :wave:
Exactly... :D

·
Registered
321 Posts
My Porsha is a chi mix between the deer and the apple. I actually prefer the look of the deer chi to the apple chi myself. My sis has both kinds also and i love her deer chi far more than her apple. The size of the deer chi appeals better to me also. they are a bit larger usually. so its just a matter of preference. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a deer head and an apple head. I love them both....everytime we go out some people love Lolita and some people love Chiquitita....I think it's just a matter of preference...I like them both...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts