Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paris wants to sit ON us all the time. As long as one of us is holding her, she's fine. If I put her down to eat, I have to sit right beside her so she will...and then she drags a chew toy, climbs right back up on me and settles in and then she's fine. If we put her down, she just wimpers...and of course we grab her right back up. We are trying to go longer and longer in between holding her. Are your babies this spoiled too???? What to do???

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
chi's loooove being spoilt in my opinion! deano loves being held but he doesnt mind being on the floor too, actually he prefers to sit beside you on the couch rather than on you. All chi's are different so maybe because she is a baby she wants to be cuddled, i got deano at 2 so im not quite sure what he was like when he was a puppy but i would sure like to see pictures of my little baby!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
They are extremely smart and know how the play us to get their way...lol.
You cannot, however, let your chi boss you around. Its one thing to "spoil" them by buying them lots of fun stuff and that, but you do not want your chi thinking its the alpha in your family...this can lead to some serious behavioral problems.

Everyone has at one point in time had their dog come up to them and put their head under our hands so we pet them....though we all think this is cute its really your dog bossing you around and telling you that he/she is in charge and you will do what he/she wants when they want. Grant it I will allow my dogs to do this every so often, but when they get too pushy (as Tequila often does) I have to put her on the floor and tell her no. There is a line between affection and dominance and its very hard sometimes to tell the difference.
Tequila is really bad when it comes to being dominant over my other chi's and I have to stop her....if Ginger comes up to me she will jump in her way and chase her from me. This earns Tequila a time-out and I make sure Tequila seese me hold Ginger.

Sorry, my obedience training took over there. Basically you cannot be picking up your chi every time it cries...its just like a baby. Your chi will quickly learn that if she wants to get her way all she has to do is cry and this will quickly turn from being cute to being annoying. Slowly wean her from this behavior by ignoring it. Give her something to do while you eat like a Kong filled with her puppy food or some treats. Or you might have to crate her while you eat.
Bottom line is if you continue to let her get her way all the time you will end up with a hard to handle chi. If you wont train them they will train you...lol :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Angel.. I couldn't have said it any beter than you did....

All puppies are going to want to be held more then not.. you have to be the one who tells the pup when she is going to be held.... a litttle wining is normal... I had a phase with Gadget that he would whine every time I went into the other room.. well he soon learned that he would have to follow me if he wanted me... now I can be in one room and he can be in another without him wwhining... even though it doesn't usually happen unless dad is in the other room...

He loves being lazy with dad on the weekends...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Thanks.
Just remember you are not being mean or cruel by ignoring your chi's whining. A lot of people will quickly run to their dog when it cries because they assume they are sad. Remember this is a dog and dogs emotions come from different places then people. Your chi will not hate you if you put it in a crate while you eat dinner. They will, however, try every trick in the book to get you to let them out of the crate. They will cry, bark, whine, anything they can to see what will get you to let them out. Eventually they will learn that nothing will work and will quiet down. Only then do you let them out...they need to learn that quiet, good behavior will earn them the reward of being let out of the crate.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Here's where i think i have to disagree with the majority. :( But this puppy is coming to a new home, to a new family and new surroundings. She is no doubt insecure. I believe she needs as much holding, petting and spoiling as you can give her. She has alot of adjusting to do! I'm sure she is a little frightened by all this change in her life. She will become more and more as ease as she gets used to her new home and family and be more content to be apart from you. Right now, you're all she's got. She is naturally going to want to "glue" herself to you.

On the other hand, i spoil the heck out of my babies and get alot of entertainment out of them "bossing" me around! :lol: I guess it's all in how you look at it! :) I do love me a "spoiled" chi!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
When I brought Cooper home, I wanted him to be independent but loving at the same time. I immediately began with basic training, including dominance (a.k.a. "neither one of us is in charge - the cat is"). Instead of holding him a majority of the time, I would get on the floor and play with him so he would get used to the interaction and would learn that he and I could be best buddies, even if he wasn't in my lap. I would have him retrieve toys, chase a laser light, etc. and I would praise him like crazy for "doing it all by himself". I also let lots of other people hold him when I took him out and I think it kept him from being clingy to or trying to dominate his momma.

I also spoil him like crazy ... but now he knows the rules and knows he's not the one in charge.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Angel does fine on her own but is certainly happiest laying on my chest and would stay there 24/7 if I let her. I have no problems holding her and carrying her around for as long as I can. She is treated like a princess around here and it is fine with everyone. :)

I will say though that Angel knows I'm the boss. She will look at me for approval or if she does something naughty and is scolded, she stops and gives mommy a big "I'm sorry" kiss. LOL I've never really had her challenge my authority at all. She will challenge the rest of the family though. LOL!!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I agree with joiles mum when she said about them being scared in new surroundings . Tyson wud not leave my side when i first got him but day by day he is getting braver and doin things on his own . he still loves a cuddle and kisses tho ... I too spoil my dig but when it is time for him to go in his cage i leave him in there if he crys or not then get him out when it suits me or they will rule ur life!!x

:wave:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Vida is very spoiled. I think it depends on your situation. With us it is o.k. for us to hold her all the time, and it is o.k. for her to be the boss. Although i'm pretty sure she knows i'm the boss. It is just me, my boyfriend and her, so she gets totally spoiled.
We think she is the most loved and most special chihuahua in the world. :love1:

She is very well behaved.

This will all change when we have a child. I am not looking forward to it. We shouldn't let her be this spoiled because it will make it all the more harder when we have a baby, or if we ever get another pet. But right now thing's are fine.

So, I beleive that it all depends on your situation.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I spoil the heck out of Gizmo BUT he knows I am the Alpha....

I DON"T pick him up every time he whines...sorry...not gonna happen

I wait until he stops, then I pick him up. When I first got Gizmo he was so tiny and so cute, wanted to be with me 24-7, but I put an end to that, by that I mean I couldn't go into another room without him screaming his head off...so I started to slowly leave him somewhere when he was entertained.

He still comes up to me so I can pick him up, usually when I am on the computer, and I do...because he just likes to take a nap...but he is not whining, and it is not every time. I occupy him with a greenie or his toys, they have to learn how to play by themselves, are you literally going to be with your dog 24-7? I think not...so now is the time to start training!!

:wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts