Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least this has been my observations of looking at pet-finder and chi rescues online. I've been browsing on and off for a few years so I assume my observation must have some merit.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It does seem that way. I just see more short haired Chi's in my area in general though. That said, they did have 1 long haired Chi at the rescue where I got Pip and Roo.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think more SC as in general there are more SC in the US.

Our local shelter and SPCA NEVER have Chis. We only have bully breeds. Well and right now we have a litter of 8 8 week old Jack Russel pups.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We very rarely have chis at the SPCA here... they are adopted very quickly.

Same with animal control... they are pulled by breed specific rescues as soon as they come in.

There are a good bit of chihuahuas in rescue for adoption, though. And SCs are way more common in our area (I've seen only a few other LCs around here).

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Same with animal control... they are pulled by breed specific rescues as soon as they come in.
Very true. I have heard that breed specific rescues pull them very quickly. I was told by the lady at the rescue where I got mine that they try and take as many in as they can as Chi's (and small breeds in general) do very poorly and become extremely anxious in that environment, caged etc. They do better at rescues where they are usually in a foster's home. Agree too, there are so many Chi's for adoption in rescue.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There are a ton of SC chis up for rescue around here. The longer haired ones seem to be part chi, part something else - like my Pedro, he's half Cairn terrier.

I, too, have noticed that the chis seem to be fostered outside of the shelters!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I wonder, too, if sometimes LCs get misidentified by shelter staff? Like, if you do a "Papillion" search on Petfinder, I wonder if some LCs might be hiding in there. Some shelter staff have excellent knowledge of dog breeds and their aesthetics, but others seem to be pretty uninformed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have recently started looking for a dog. Decided to check out the Chihuahua's and realized that there are a lot of short haired ones that are still young/puppies. I found one long hair one named Sissy, which I adopted (picking her up on wednesday).

I find it sad that there are alot of short haired chihuahua's out there. The only reason i didn't tkae a short haired one is because I wanted something new. I had a min pin before, and wanted something with long hair so i checked out the chihuahua's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That reason I like long hair chis, is because I'd like to look at dog that is similar to an eskie. Some longhair chis seem to look eskie like with tails hanging over their backs.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
we dont seem to have many Chi's at all in our RSPCA, even the chi rescue group is just full of cross breeds

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've had 3 long coats but only 1 smooth coat rescues this year. One of them was a merle who had only been in it's new home for less than a week - the 'breeder' decided not to return the buyers call or answer the phone as they needed to return it. Nice to see a responsible merle breeder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts