Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its really hard to tell, with larger breeds I find it easy to sence aggression but with my Chihuahua's I cant figure this behaviour out.

As Ive posted recently; it seemed to just start now Luna is 6 months and Pixie is 1 yr.
Its usually when Pixie is asleep - if Luna disturbs her or comes near her when she's relaxing she 'sometimes' snaps at her.

The whole reason we got Luna was because Pixie had started crying when left alone (since our other dog was absent) so Pixie & Luna have shared a crate to sleep since day one and it immediately helped Pixie.

But recently, in the middle of the night ive heard Pixie snap at Luna in the crate, its VERY quick just one yap and Luna yelps. I then noticed Luna had a scratch on her ear...but we're in this prediciment whereby Luna is very attached to Pixie and wants to sleep with her, but Pixie obviously for some reason recently doesnt like being disturbed when shes asleep!?
Its now not fair on Luna so we're going to have to seperate them.

So we're thinking getting a crate with a divider might help as Luna could still see and be close to Pixie, but it also ensures Luna wont wake Pixie up.
Is there any way we could train Pixie out of this behaviour?

During play they sometimes get a little rough, Pixie will try steal Luna's toys etc, but to be fair to Pixie im sure Luna is still at the annoying stage of having too much energy always on her back legs jumping around.
But it never seems aggressive? They obviously love each other, Pixie will always go find where Luna is and groom her.

Ive never had dogs with this problem. When Pixie lived with my other dog they got along great and Pixie would love snuggling up with her?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think the crate that is divided would be great. Many dogs will snap when they are awakened. That happens even with people that have their dogs sleeping with them! Good luck. Hope the crate thing helps. Sue

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I like the divider idea, too. I know my little pack can get really rough and even mean with one another--well, three of the culprits. They seem to feed off of one another's energy. I am armed with the squirt bottle when it gets out of hand.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
No all doggies enjoy "cuddling." Just dependent on their personalities, if one is "above" the other in the pack it may not appreciate another one initiating contact with them. They just defend their "personal bubble" so to speak, lol. My Ellie will nip, snarl at any dog who walks by her while she's asleep. She won't actually make the effort to get up, but she just gives them a warning sign of "Please leave me alone, I don't want to be bothered." It's possible that at just 6 months your pup hasn't quite gotten the signals enough yet. Depending on how often she's had a chance to interact with other dogs she may not have the best social skills so is still learning. After a while of Pixie repetitively "warning" her, she should eventually understand the point she's trying to get across. And once Pixie realizes that Luna and her are 'on the same page' so to speak, she will likely mellow out as well.
The ONLY two of our dogs who will actually make a point to cuddle and lay next to one another is Tequila and our Zoey. Tequila's just a ~9 month Crested and Zoey is our ~2 year old handicap chihuahua. They otherwise have pretty much no interaction with eachother; they don't play; Tequila is high energy where Zoey just likes to be held. But since neither are particularly "alpha" and they both have such submissive personalities, they are able to really let their guards down enough to be close and neither feels threatened that the other is beside them.
You CAN reinforce *your* position in the pack; as even the dominant one of your DOG pack should still understand that YOU the owner are still one step above them. So if she gets TOO out of hand, as in actually trying to deliberately *go out of her way* to hurt Luna; you do need to step in and say "NO!" (or shake a can of pennies, something to correct the behavior.) reminding her that she has nothing to defend or feel threatened because YOU are in charge and have everything in control. But, if she's just being vocal and giving out warning signs that is something that the two of them will have to work out on their own as they develop their own ways to communicate with each other. Puppies are like babies in the sense that they don't automatically understand the language or how to "talk" with each other. They have to learn it as they grow too. If either was taken away from her littermates too young (as in 8 weeks or younger) or even a singleton/only child, they don't get the skills they need from interacting with all their other brothers and sisters in the crucial development stage.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pixie was the only puppy from her mother so she had minimal interaction at that stage and apparently her father started snapping at her so he had to be seperated from her. So maybe shes got a bit of her mum social and dads anti-social personalities mixed in.

I have done that, I'll think this is getting too noisy now I dont know if their playing or getting too rough - so I say 'NO!' and clap my hand, Pixies really obedient and stops but then...she runs as fast as she can around my feet and I think 'oh damn she WAS just playing with Luna' lol she just gets too excited and 'vocal' with it sometimes.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sometimes my dogs sound like they are tearing each other to shreds and I will clap my hands or yell stop and they will look at me like, What? then go back to playing. lol They sound horrible, but they are just having fun.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think Chihuahuas are very vocal dogs anyway. Also they seem to enjoy making mountains out of molehills and over dramatising at times!! My youngest makes some blood curdling sounds when she is chewing a bone or playfighting (with the dogs or me) but everybody ignores her! In fact my lot tend to ignore most things TBH. Hannah is the boss and doesnt really like sleeping with other dogs but Heidi loves sleeping with her and often Hannah will growl and even have a little snap at Heidi, but she just cuddles up to her anyway coz she know she isnt 'that' bothered!!
Real fights are usually less noisy (because the aim is to cause damage which doesnt require barking/growling) also the dogs are hard to seperate and can redirect aggression onto you if you stop them.:(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I could not believe the noises little Ty made when he was playing with Boo-boo, it was hysterical. I had never heard a dog play growl like that before.... Now, Boo-boo shivers like a chihuahua does, but is completely guardlike aggressive if he thinks he hears a sound outside. He loves his little Ty and there is never any problem between them. Sometimes, he might be a little jealous and just stares at me and tries to crawl on me and I just give him lots of attention... I just love my boo... they both sleep with me, boo boo goes way way way under the covers..... Tyson lays his head on my neck.... to die for.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts