Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from several people that those raw hide chew sticks can be potentially bad for your little girl/guy. When chewed on, the get real sticky, and little bits break off and your pet swallows that, sometimes not making it all the way down his/her throat. If they don't choke then, then it keeps happening and building up until it finally does. I've been giving beat box (that's our five yr. old chi) stick for a couple years, and never had a problem, but I stick to only the natural ones. I've heard bad things about the colored ones or the greenies. My friends sister had to take her little dog to the vet emergency room twice, b/c she had stick gew lodged in her throat. Both times they had to cut it out. Can anyone shed some light on this would-be myth? Thanks ya'll! Beat Box and Face appreciate it I'm sure!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
no, rawhide is dangerous. they can choke and some can't process them and it can cause vomitting and diarrhea. i stopped giving my girl greenies too, soem vets say they are safe others say they are not. me, personally don't like that question in the air safe or not? better to be safe than sorry. i had a pit bull choke on rawhide and i had to do the heimlich on him and then cpr. i fell asleep in my chair and then felt him fall against it and it woke me cause the whole chair shook so i looked down and he didn't look right so i got down and i couldn't wake him so i looked in his mouth and seen the end know stuck in his throat. it was pretty scarey especially when he wouldn't breath when i removed it. he came around after a few breaths and chest compressions. i went with the nylabones and kongs after that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts