Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a comment recently on FB that got me thinking...

The person said that she was DISGUSTED by raw feeding and would never ever feed her dogs raw. She went on to say that raw feeders push others away as they are so obnoxious about feeding it. That they feel superior to others who choose not to feed that diet. She feels as though rawfeeders think that kibble feeders are "mistreating" their pets. She went on to say that raw feeders are their own worst advertisement for raw as they are so obnoxious about it.

I replied comparing breast feeding babies to raw feeding. I think most people would agree that breast feeding is best for babies. But they can and DO survive and thrive on formula. I personally feel that raw is best, but I HOPE that I don't come across as a know it all who pushes raw to the masses and is intolerant of other choices.

We talk freely here in the raw forum and I hope that continues. But those comments do make me stop and realize that our enthusiasm could be misinterpreted as arrogance.

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I dont think this forum is to graphic, crude, or anything regarding raw. There is still a section for other foods. We do not expect everyone to feed their dog raw and we are not telling them that they are neglecting their dogs if they dont. We simply give options, advice, and information for those who do feed raw or are interested in doing so. I found out about raw through a dog forum and now my shar-pei, chi, and kitty are all thriving well on it. I'm grateful that it is a matter of discussion. And I like the threads that explain it in detail and show pictures.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Oooops, sorry. I didn't notice this was in the RAW section. I thought it was general chat looking for all opinions. Sorry. :blushing:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I would never feed RAW to honey or any of my future chi's. Only because I find it gross and disgusting. I have a very weak stomach. As long as your dog is healthy and happy then I dont think it matters what you feed them!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I honestly don't think we do. At least the few raw feeders on here I don't think do.

Of course raw feeders are going to sing the praises of raw, and RECOMMEND raw feeding when asked a food question. Not any different than kibble feeders recommending a good high quality kibble.
I think that when a question about dog food is posted on here, a lot of times kibble feeders will state their opinions and preferences, and they will mention raw feeding as a way to go. Same goes for raw feeders. We will say raw, but we point out that if they are not comfortable with raw then a high quality kibble is the way to go. I think we all, kibble and raw feeders, are careful not to insult someone else.
I don't think not one raw feeder on chi-ppl thinks that they are superior to any kibble feeders. That would be ridiculous! They love their dogs just as much as we do. High quality kibble isn't cheap!
Anyways, I hope nobody on here feels that way!
Raw feeders are passionate about raw feeding. We only give our opinions and advice when asked. It's not like we are going around asking people what they feed their dogs and if they don't say raw, we start bashing them, claiming they are mistreating their animals. That's absurd, and I hope raw feeders elsewhere on other forums are not doing that. That is wrong and I could understand people being turned off by it.
As far as being disgusted about raw feeding. Oh, brother. Then my advice to that person would be don't read or look at a raw thread! There, problem solved.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
I dont think you guys are pushy or think your better than us kibble feeders. But I myself personally, I cant see myself feeding RAW. I kinda feeling lazy saying this, but its so much easier for me to load up my big container feeder bowls and let me dogs eat when they feel like it. They eat till they are full and some eat at different times, not everyone is at the bowl at the same time.

Plus when it comes to RAW, I dont know what to do or how much to feed. Its just simpler and easier to buy a bag of kibble every 2-3 months. Than buy fresh meat all the time. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Oooops, sorry. I didn't notice this was in the RAW section. I thought it was general chat looking for all opinions. Sorry. :blushing:
T, you should have left your comment. I thought you made some valid points. :)

I think Tracy posted it in the raw forum because it's a raw topic, but wanted everyones opinions. Tracy, please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Nah, I'm not looking to start no controversy here. Her and I have discussed my feelings about it before. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah, I'm not looking to start no controversy here. Her and I have discussed my feelings about it before. :)
T - feel free to jump in! I posted this in the raw forum, but anyone can answer or give an opinion. I'm all ears and hoping to learn from this.

I think we can all talk and be respectful of other opinions without it deteriorating into something ugly.

So post away! I'd like any and all opinions. :hello1:

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I think people in general not necessarily the ones here, need to be careful what they say so not to hurt other peoples feelings or sound like they are putting down their choices.
I think the raw feeders on this board are pretty respectful to the non raw feeders.
I know that i mentioned a while back that my feelings were hurt by comments made when leila had her 2 episodes of screaming and acting very sick and just deathly ill. I know that she somehow hurt herself swallowing some bone or cartlidge. It scared me so much that i switched her to kibble. I know that she is perfectly healthy on it. I felt as if no one believed that was what was wrong. And that it must be something else. That made me feel stupid i guess. I am sensitive that way. I KNEW what it was and she was fine after the raw feeding stopped.
I dont feel like any of the raw feeders on here put down kibble, other than saying they will never feed it.
Now having said that I did come across what I think is an obnoxious raw feeder the other day that i was emailing about getting an adult dog from. She more or less told me to screw off because she didn't want her dog "Going DOWNHILL on a kibble diet". That was just one part of the convo but she came across as a know it all and just rude and not at all respectful of other diets choices. When to me she should've just said, I want to keep her on raw, will you feed her that, if not then i will look for someone who will.
She just never responded back. Basically treating me like i'm the plague. lol
Tracy you are not obnoxious at all. So don't worry about it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I wouldn't say so much here but on other forums, yes. The dogfoodchat one is the worst, those guys think they've found the holy grail and you're going to hell if you don't get on the bandwagon lol.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Well here it was:

Can I be honest? :lol: You know I love you! :daisy: But yes, sometime it does come across as people who feed anything other than RAW is somehow doing their dogs an injustice. But I do understand that when it’s something you know to be true, it makes you excited and want to “recruit” others. I can only speak for myself, but if I feel someone is talking down to me, I immediately tune them out. I don’t feed RAW, but I do believe it’s the best diet for them. With that said, only if they can tolerate it. I also don’t think that every time someone’s pup has a problem with RAW, that it’s the owners fault. Even as humans, we are all “designed” to eat the same things, but our stomachs don’t always agree. Does that make sense? Some people are lactose intolerant, some have allergies to certain foods, dietary intolerances can go all across the board. It is the same for dogs. Some dogs can eat trash and be okay, and some can eat a grain of rice that falls on the floor and get ill. I think when many read the RAW forum, they read where people are putting others down that feed anything but RAW. Even RAW feeders don’t agree with each other on all aspects of the diet. If I read where someone who doesn’t feed RAW is ignorant, that turns me off right there. Ignorance is bliss. We all can have those thoughts about different things, but find other ways of trying to educate than to be blatantly rude. Honesty is the best policy, but it should be done appropriately. And we can’t automatically assume that someone is harming their dog by not feeding RAW. There are other ways of feeding healthy. I have read enough of the RAW forum to know that there are pups on the diet that fail to thrive, have digestive issues, etc. These things are probably easily overlooked by someone that feeds the diet, but someone “interested” does see those points. It is also put out there as a “miracle cure.” But I still see some that are having problems. So again, while I think it’s the very best diet for a dog, only if it works. But it isn’t the answer to all health IMO. Nothing specific is. Another point too is that not everyone has that much time to dedicate to their pups diets. I can’t even dedicate that much time to my own diet. We never know what people have on their plates. How much time they have, etc. Just being frank, if I had that much time to figure out my pups diets, I would hope I would have equal time to figure out my own and families. But unfortunately, we eat the occasional, not so great meal. Anyway, again, being honest, I do feel that RAW feeders feel that those that don’t feed it are being “neglectful.” It can easily be interpreted as “arrogance.” I don’t think you/others should stop educating about the diet, though. Others can’t learn about it without the info.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i dont find anyone pushy on this forum :) , i dont feed raw although my guys will get raw chicken wings/necks , i have fed a raw diet in the past when we had a pit but my little dogs really didn't like it and refused to eat , our pit bull loved it though and did very well on it , saying this i never fed organs , i just wouldn't be able to stomach it .

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i dont find anyone pushy on this forum :) , i dont feed raw although my guys will get raw chicken wings/necks , i have fed a raw diet in the past when we had a pit but my little dogs really didn't like it and refused to eat , our pit bull loved it though and did very well on it , saying this i never fed organs , i just wouldn't be able to stomach it .
I cant even handle, raw meat or chicken. I hate to touch it. I am not a vegetarian, I just cant handle to touch it raw. Let alone feed it to honey.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
When Zoey was a puppy I tried raw, and OMG it was a hugoid FAILURE, I started out with some odd cut of Beef and both of my dogs got extremely sick, Zoey was almost hospitalized she was so sick. That turned me off of raw and I was treated like a leper on some lists I was on because I didn't give it a chance. But researching and seeing Brody's posts on Dogster as well as some of the other small dogs & seeing how well Lincoln the Malinois was doing with his allergies really opened my eyes again and I now realize that it was MY MISTAKE that made the dogs so sick. I wish I would have known that because I think that my Westie would have thrived on a raw diet (he had mega food allergy issues). I think sometimes people can seem 'abrupt' in regards to raw, but I also think that when you find something that performs miracles on your dog (such as Zoey and her allergies) you want to share that with others, and don't realize that what you are saying is rude or not very nice which can put others 'off' of raw.

Just as with any diet I think it may not be appropriate or a good fit for every dog out there, it just depends on a lot of things. Just like not all diets are appropriate for every person, my husband after years of being morbidly obese just found out a few months ago that he is allergic/sensitive to all forms of grains and they were causing inflammation in his body which in turned made him fat. He has lost 30# since switching to grain/sugar free in just 2 months, and he hasn't felt better in a long time, no more gas, no more aches & pains (well except with weather). I think T has made some valid points, we as raw feeders need to accept and realize that raw may not be for everyone, and that sometimes just sharing the positives & negatives make people educated and can 'plant' that raw seed in the back of their mind such as Brody's mom did with Zoey and I on dogster. People on dogster were so helpful, even though at first I was going to consider a pre-made (Stella & Chewys) when Zoey had surgery in July, they answered questions & concerns I had, and I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that I listened. So many people encouraged me to just switch her that switching after surgery would benefit her the most, and I switched her within a week of her having major surgery on her knee. We do need to remember that being rude or abrupt may definitely turn people off of feeding raw. And one thing, even though Zoey was being a brat about eating organs, no one here said "You aren't doing it right, you need to do/feed this way, instead I got ideas on how to help her eat her organs, and also when she wasn't eating, no one said "you HAVE to feed her only raw, but got suggestions on maybe trying some baby food, or some Ziwipeak canned to get her to eat." That is what it is all about is helping others. I hope this comes across okay, I have a hard time expressing myself sometimes.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Nope and I don't think any of us on here are so hardcore that we can't see past the butchers! A lot of us use pre mades If we need to for whatever reason!!

I think here we are the minority there are a lot of narky comments about how it's disgusting etc etc and sometimes I find we have to justify why we feed what we do whereas if people feed kibble I personally and I know the others are the same couldn't care less unless they are feeding something which does t work for the dog I see a lot of posts about oh my dog has loose stools fur falling out and dry skin that to me signals a diet problem and 9/10 the dog is being fed a poor quality food!!

Whilst we always say raw is best and anyone feeding raw or kibble can research and see it's a natural diet everyone always says it's not for everyone and gives other options including high quality kibbles available in their country!!

I think there is more arrogance on this forum in other subjects other than raw I don't see any of my raw friends as arrogant if anything I think they are amongst the most helpful people here and are always Giving advice!!

It gets tedious repeating the same stuff over and over and on some occasions it is the owners fault it hadn't worked by what people are feeding it's quite obvious to experience raw feeders that there will be trouble!! But on otger occasions the dogs just don't tolerate it which I don't understand but it does happen!!

I feel if something works don't mess with it if you can find something that suits you and your dog then why change.

Kibble is a food of convenience it's easy I don't think there is any excuse for feeding low quality kibble though especially for chihuahuas they eat very little so the cost is minimal and frankly if you can only afford to feed a chihuahua the lowest of the low food I don't think you can really afford to keep a chi vets bills are way higher than a bag of kibble! That may offend people and I may come across as rude but think about it it's true!!

The one thing I do find is that raw feeders get asked a lot of questions and are always helpful I think that is majorly over looked

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
It took me a long time to realize that buying dog food from KMart or WalMart probably wasn't the best choice for my dogs and I'm pretty proud of myself for getting what I consider an excellent kibble food for them.

I don't visit the RAW forum a lot (no reason to) but the three times I have been here, I can't say I've seen any raw feeders act as though they or their dogs are better than me or my dogs. I can honestly say, I doubt I ever will make the switch to raw; my girls are fine with what they are eating now.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I do my very best to avoid getting into a debate on feeding my two - I have a couple of family members who believe dogs should be fed on the cheapest food they can get by on, and human scraps, and im always getting told im not feeding my dogs properly, they should be on *insert mega-cheap food here* - Pippi cant eat cheap foods anyway with her allergies.

If someone asks me what I feed though im more than happy to explain what I feed and why I feed them raw rather than kibble. A lot of people though are in the mentality that raw food isn't nutritionally balanced - I believed that too at one point. But this was before I'd done any research, because with all the dog food adverts claiming they're the best and totally balanced, at a glance it LOOKS like its not a good diet until you do your own research. Especially with the way vets push the foods they sell!

But I would never ever ever push someone to switch to raw - or even another pre-made food - even though I believe it is the very best for my pets, I know others dont agree. I just hate it when I get certain brands of dog food shoved down my throat by others!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I went to a yahoo raw group after I first started raw & was ripped to shreds for all I was doing "wrong". Never went back either. ;) Saying that--people here I DO NOT view as rude, pushy, condescending, etc. The raw feeders here I've always viewed as helpful, encouraging & very knowledgable. And most of all, REALISTIC. I've been on all aspects of the food scale feeding crappy kibble & raw & any/everything in between. I found it a process but honestly when I was confident about my kibble & someone said something about raw...I thought they were crazy & didn't know what the heck they were talking about. haha

But if I've ever come off as being any of the above I truely do not intend to. I am simply enthusiastic about the knowledge I've not only read about but have seen with my own eyes. I would love nothing more than for others to feel the same! :) I can say for me, it is frustrating to see these posts about digestive issues, allergies, skin/coat problems, etc. Some people probably roll their eyes at the raw suggestion they ALWAYS hear about. Surely we (raw feeders) must think raw is the "cure all". I personally don't believe it is THE "cure all" but I believe and have seen (as have the other raw feeders) the difference raw can make with these issues! We're not just blowing smoke just to get "our word" (whatever that is--I only know what I've experienced!) out there.

The book I read when initially learning about raw stated you must be 100% committed to raw in order to succeed. I whole heartedly believe that! Those who have tried & it hasn't worked for them may have thought they were committed or maybe they thought they'd just give it a whirl. I don't know as I'm not them. I do know I *thought* I was committed when we started. I can tell you I was SCARED TO DEATH the first few days. I mean...what I was feeding my dogs was going against what I've always read & been told! I think I aged 10 years that week. ;)

It didn't go smoothly for us. I questioned myself many MANY times if this was the right thing. I was so tempted many times to throw that kibble back in the bowl. I had gulpers. The very first raw meal one of my crew swallowed a whole chicken neck. 1" in diameter--about 5" long. My heart sunk. Everything was ok & with the reassuring words from Kristy (2cheese) I got through the next couple days of worry w/o going absolutely crazy. I have a Chi that would swallow ridiculously large pieces of bone & meat. Several times he got pieces lodged in his throat. Screamed, gagged, screamed some more. I've had to help him unlodge pieces more than once.

One of my Chi's would vomit up beef every time she ate it despite being able to eat beef tripe for the first few weeks w/o issue. I know sometimes it takes different dogs longer to adjust to different sources. So we tried & tried different ways--adding it in slowly, different parts of the body, etc. The intensity of her vomiting got progressively worse. The last episode she vomitted 7 times in 2 minutes. That was it--never again was I going to put her through that.

These last 2 reasons are the big reasons why we gave ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen a try. I was stressed & needed a break. I didn't know if I could ever go back to raw. We had spent 5 1/2 months trying to make it work & it was wearing me down! When my prepackaged food was getting low I initially had a hard time deciding which direction to go next. Upon pondering my choices I realized that all the horrible things that had happened when feeding raw before were quite empowering. I learned in that time what NOT to do. My pups were individuals & simply required some restrictions. I had gotten the chance to see the good that raw could do for my pups...how happy they were with their food during that time. Armed with that knowledge & the knowledge of my packs restrictions the decision was easy for me to make.

Doing raw this time has been so much easier & relaxed. Mari simply doesn't get beef (or bisson as it also makes her sick). Marley I began to hold the last bit of food for him. But you know what? With me being more relaxed & the crew having a more "orderly" eating routine--he has started to chew his bones & not once has had a "close call". Could it happen again? Absolutely but he's not going to learn with out working at it and so far he's made me proud. :)

Anyway, I only tell my story because as I found out you DO need to be 100% committed to raw feeding if you are really in it for the benefits. If you want to do it to try...great! But DO expect issues to arrise and do not be shocked if they do. ;) It takes time for their digestive systems to learn how to process this new food & in that time you may get belly aches, diarrhea, vomitting, etc. Many dogs have a rough start but it's about learning about your dog & about their restrictions.

I do agree there are *some* dogs who don't do well on it. But I also feel there are alternatives to that. Whole ground carcass for one. The bone even is ground up for VERY easy swallowing & digestion. (we have been doing a lot of these) Premade or Dehydrated raws of course are another alternative & reap the same benefits (minus the benefits of dental & mental stimulation--but larger bones could also be substituted on occasion). But I don't find it fair when some say "I tried raw for a week & my dog doesn't do well on it" & then tosses back the kibble. If they were in it for the benefits & committed 100%, there are MANY other alternatives where you can get the same benefits! :) And to be clear--I'm not talking about anyone specifically. I've been on a few boards & people IRL who fall in this category so please don't take offense.

One last word (man this is getting long!): getting "annoying" or "pushy" with raw can go for any subject really...not just raw. Someone could feel strongly about a certain prepackaged food (which some dehydrated raws & premium kibbles come to mind). I don't think anyone thinks twice about people who suggest a certain kibble because it's worked for them & others. I'd hope us raw feeders don't get thought of as "pushy" because we suggest raw to people like others suggest certain kibbles. Just a random thought there... :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well here it was:

Can I be honest? :lol: You know I love you! :daisy: But yes, sometime it does come across as people who feed anything other than RAW is somehow doing their dogs an injustice. But I do understand that when it’s something you know to be true, it makes you excited and want to “recruit” others. I can only speak for myself, but if I feel someone is talking down to me, I immediately tune them out. I don’t feed RAW, but I do believe it’s the best diet for them. With that said, only if they can tolerate it. I also don’t think that every time someone’s pup has a problem with RAW, that it’s the owners fault. Even as humans, we are all “designed” to eat the same things, but our stomachs don’t always agree. Does that make sense? Some people are lactose intolerant, some have allergies to certain foods, dietary intolerances can go all across the board. It is the same for dogs. Some dogs can eat trash and be okay, and some can eat a grain of rice that falls on the floor and get ill. I think when many read the RAW forum, they read where people are putting others down that feed anything but RAW. Even RAW feeders don’t agree with each other on all aspects of the diet. If I read where someone who doesn’t feed RAW is ignorant, that turns me off right there. Ignorance is bliss. We all can have those thoughts about different things, but find other ways of trying to educate than to be blatantly rude. Honesty is the best policy, but it should be done appropriately. And we can’t automatically assume that someone is harming their dog by not feeding RAW. There are other ways of feeding healthy. I have read enough of the RAW forum to know that there are pups on the diet that fail to thrive, have digestive issues, etc. These things are probably easily overlooked by someone that feeds the diet, but someone “interested” does see those points. It is also put out there as a “miracle cure.” But I still see some that are having problems. So again, while I think it’s the very best diet for a dog, only if it works. But it isn’t the answer to all health IMO. Nothing specific is. Another point too is that not everyone has that much time to dedicate to their pups diets. I can’t even dedicate that much time to my own diet. We never know what people have on their plates. How much time they have, etc. Just being frank, if I had that much time to figure out my pups diets, I would hope I would have equal time to figure out my own and families. But unfortunately, we eat the occasional, not so great meal. Anyway, again, being honest, I do feel that RAW feeders feel that those that don’t feed it are being “neglectful.” It can easily be interpreted as “arrogance.” I don’t think you/others should stop educating about the diet, though. Others can’t learn about it without the info.
I know I'm new here and I don't know everyone as well. I also know that when typed, you don't always "read" it the way the person is meaning it. But I also have to agree with this post.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts