Chihuahua People Forum banner

21 - 40 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Ok, the last 2 feedings i have started giving Bungee on 1oz raw chickn wing mixed with 1/2 teaspoon innova and her glucosamine liquid.
All in all it has been a very sucessful start. Was to funny at the start! other than her not quite knowing how to use her back molars yet:) but in time, she did use her back teeth and she was scareing herself with the noise of snaping bones! and she didn't know she could use her feet to hold the bone still and pull meat off untill this morning:)
Also she really wanted to carry the wing away and hide it from the cat:) (Tonka is away right now at an agility trail that I for health reasons could not do myself so a friend took him)
but as soon as he gets back i will start him on raw too:)
It is very interesting and kind of saddening watching an animal that is supposed to be a carnivore be so unfamiliar with raw meat. And to see the way it satisfiy's then is amazing!
on a side note bungees poop was very small and like little raisinettes this morning:) which is great because Bungee has had constipation prob's in the past..no more if i keep this raw!:hello1:!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yay Jenna!! What encouraging news!! Even if you just do a chicken wing now and again, you will see some nice differences. And you will grow to love that sound of bones crunching! :)

I hope Tonka had a great run at the agility trial. Raw seems to be a favorite among agility and performance owners.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yay Jenna!! What encouraging news!! Even if you just do a chicken wing now and again, you will see some nice differences. And you will grow to love that sound of bones crunching! :)

I hope Tonka had a great run at the agility trial. Raw seems to be a favorite among agility and performance owners.
Thanks!! Ya its a three day trial, 2hrs away and a friend is running him for me.
points added hopefully...
I am delighted it didnt take much for bunge to catch on, i just hope she stops wanting to drag it around everywere and hide it in the sofa! lol! silly girl!:rolleyes:
Also, another question, the grocery sells chicken backs, very reasonable in price, but i am hesitating because they are pretty boney, are they ok??
plus they say some backs may have kidneys...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, backs are good because they have kidneys attached, next to the spine so you get a little organ too. I feed them in conjunction with a meaty meal though. Like cut the back into several pieces for the bone content and then meat on the side. They are too bony to be used as a meal by themselves.

·
Registered
657 Posts
OMG! i just watched Bungee down her third Raw meal, and I must say... now I know what a proud parent feels like!:)
this time, i fed the shoulder portion of the chicken wing and because of the bigger, meatier bone Bungee had to figure how to bite down on the big shoulder joint while holding the rest, and eventually was on her belly, paws n jaws working away... and boy was it a sight!! I am so happy for my little carnivore:D:D:D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OMG! i just watched Bungee down her third Raw meal, and I must say... now I know what a proud parent feels like!:)
this time, i fed the shoulder portion of the chicken wing and because of the bigger, meatier bone Bungee had to figure how to bite down on the big shoulder joint while holding the rest, and eventually was on her belly, paws n jaws working away... and boy was it a sight!! I am so happy for my little carnivore:D:D:D
Oh Jenna - you are hooked now!! LOL!! I know the feeling. Nobody understands until they see it. It's just awesome. Wait until you see some results... teeny poops, shiny coat, great teeth, no doggy odor, great muscle definition.... Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I LOVE the bone crunching! And watching them use their feet.
Phoebe is JUST NOW learning she has to help hold things down, as I'm starting to give her freedom with it. She used to gulp so I had to hold one end.

·
Registered
657 Posts
thanks Chloe:) will definatley have to refer back when i start Tonka...he is an 'inhale food as fast as possible'...kind of dog, so I might have to take his approch to raw a bit different from bungee, who has always taken the time to investgate her food thoroughly before start in! and start him with a bigger n meatier piece am guessing... he is home on saturday so a plan is forming:) any pointers are appreciated!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
thanks Chloe:) will definatley have to refer back when i start Tonka...he is an 'inhale food as fast as possible'...kind of dog, so I might have to take his approch to raw a bit different from bungee, who has always taken the time to investgate her food thoroughly before start in! and start him with a bigger n meatier piece am guessing... he is home on saturday so a plan is forming:) any pointers are appreciated!
Milo & Matilda were like that too! Matilda swallowed her first chicken neck whole. Scared the crap outta me! After that, I decided to hand feed them for the first couple weeks. Now Matilda chews like a pro. She still gets a little possessive & is worried others will take her food but I just make sure to give her a little more space to eat so she can relax a bit. Milo still gets a bit excited. He'll chew...but not as much as Matilda & usually has to gult big a couple times to get his piece down. Bigger pieces definitely help...but only so much because with time the piece will get small enough for them to try to swollow whole. So you definitely need to supervise those inhalers closely no matter how big the piece!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I hand fed Phoebe, and sometimes still do, because she's possessive, she gulps, and she chokes. Schroeder is an inhaler but isn't possessive and somehow manages to right his choking when he gulps too much. Phoebe on the other hand doesn't choked on a chicken neck recently and was struggling (with me trying to assist) to breath for a good few minutes. Bigger or oddly shaped pieces I let her work with (she's learning to hold them down with her feet) but smaller or long pieces I tend to still hold on to.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sometimes I hold onto Brody's cornish hen leg quarter. Not because he needs it. But because he likes me to. :) The look on his face as he chews it on my lap is priceless. Course I'm covered with a towel and have slimy chicken fingers, but it's worth it. HA!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Very interesting...was on rache's post, gazing of pictures of Brody's poo...
quite a sight! :D we must be loko or luv are dogs too bits!

Well i think detox was kicking in a little at the evning raw meal, the whole meal took about 20mins or so and it took about 8mins for Bungee took start in on a fairly meaty, almost 2oz of chicken. she started licking it,
walk away,
walk back to the meat,
lick it again,
drink some water,
walk and sit by me,
walk back to the meat, lick
and over and over for 8mins!
this takes some time and patience. i should have grabed my cam for it!
then when she realized that the cat was watching her every move, she finally started in. That and i was not letting her leave the kitchen to attempt to bury it in the sofa again :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well Tonka came home! and he did awsome with my friend, 4 Q points!! WooHoo!:hello1:
and had a first complete Raw meal this morning, and buy all accounts took to it like a pro! I didn't have to worry at all!
This all just seems to easy :) and tis amazing how easy it is to make those little ajustments. Hardest thing is finding room in my little fridge freezer for the dogs too, and it takes some organizing!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Jenna, your dogs are doing awesome! Sometimes it's not so easy to make the adjustment. Handler error is common for beginners! You are a pro. :)

So glad to hear of Tonka's fantastic run and 4 points. That is wonderful.

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I really find it takes some organising, I'm always having to remind myself to take bits out the freezer, luckily only small pieces of meat dont take long to thaw out.

Also I cant find any of pixies poo, sorry i know thats gross, but cos she is still quite small 1.5lbs ish could it be that i'm just missing it? Its worrying me a bit.
x

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I really find it takes some organising, I'm always having to remind myself to take bits out the freezer, luckily only small pieces of meat dont take long to thaw out.

Also I cant find any of pixies poo, sorry i know thats gross, but cos she is still quite small 1.5lbs ish could it be that i'm just missing it? Its worrying me a bit.
x
Do you go outside with her when she goes potty? Just follow her around and then take a look at it after she goes. Isn't every good mom a poo watcher? HA HA. She's so tiny, her poo is probably REALLY TEENSY.

I like to keep an eye on poo so I can make adjustments. Too hard or crumbly, add more meat. Too loose, add more bone.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The thing is, she wont go when i'm watching her, I have to stand inside and watch out the window. She hasnt had any bone today or yesterday cos i noticed her straining a bit and her tummy felt quite 'full' Its not today tho, shes eating like a pro, wolfes it all down. I'll watch her really closely tomorrow, as its dark here now. If she is straining o go, is there anything else i should giver her to help?

And i hate to admit it, but i do like to check there poo!! lol x

21 - 40 of 768 Posts