Chihuahua People Forum banner

41 - 60 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Jenna, your dogs are doing awesome! Sometimes it's not so easy to make the adjustment. Handler error is common for beginners! You are a pro. :)

So glad to hear of Tonka's fantastic run and 4 points. That is wonderful.

Keep up the good work!
THanks Sooo Much for your great advice Brodysmom! With out your extreme success that you so willingly shared on this forum I probably never would have thought it was as easy as it has been.
the Information that people recieve from everywere, is driven by fear and makes people beileve that if you try feeding raw, you will kill your dog.
I just could not beileve that.
And you and brody gave me poof :)

THANK YOU so much!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We are not ready yet , but i wondered if anyone gives their chi's raw egg?

If so do you give a whole egg, shell included or not?

Thanks in advance. xx
Yep, we've given whole raw egg...shell included. The pups are still unsure about the shell but I'm going to keep trying as they are curious & will take bites here & there. But they all love the inside! :)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Yep, we've given whole raw egg...shell included. The pups are still unsure about the shell but I'm going to keep trying as they are curious & will take bites here & there. But they all love the inside! :)
Thanks for the reply.

Do you give it as a whole meal or just as a kind of add on?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I do an egg as meal. Although I have been known to share a scrambled egg from my plate with Brody. :rolleyes:

Be aware that eggs can cause loose stools, so instead of a whole one, you might want to just try a teaspoon or so and see how their bowels handle it! Slow and steady wins the race. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you give it as a whole meal or just as a kind of add on?
The first time I gave a small amount as a snack type deal. They handled that just fine so the next time I did 1 egg each as a whole meal w/no troubles. And I've also scrambled them too - they seem to like it both ways.

·
Registered
657 Posts
We are not ready yet , but i wondered if anyone gives their chi's raw egg?

If so do you give a whole egg, shell included or not?

Thanks in advance. xx
Tonka luvs raw egg, licks the bowl clean! Bungee is different...she will eat it but is a little unsure of it...not sure why, i think it might be the runny texture:) she like scrambled tho.
Every chi is so different, thats been my experience with my 2 pups!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Just a sneaky post in the Raw thread - I'm not feeding mine raw - but have started giving them a chicken wing a week each for their teeth. Bruno had two retained top front teeth not budging and the very first wing got rid of them. I am hoping it will help keep tartar etc away too, hopefully it is a help anyway :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Just a sneaky post in the Raw thread - I'm not feeding mine raw - but have started giving them a chicken wing a week each for their teeth. Bruno had two retained top front teeth not budging and the very first wing got rid of them. I am hoping it will help keep tartar etc away too, hopefully it is a help anyway :)
Jane, that's awesome!! No sneaking needed - you come right on in and post away girl. :)

I'm excited about the chicken wing success! That's great.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We're on second week of giving organ.. i'm trying to introduce it a tiny tiny bit at a time as Daisy has quite a sensitive stomach.. she's been fine on everything else.. to the point there was a dead baby chick in the park yesterday and i had to remove her from it (i walk her just before lunch!!) as she was chomping at the bit to get to it!!!

Anyway the organs are making her stools so runny (am not doing kidney and liver on the same day!!).. i'm now trying to add it to a boney meal rather than a boneless meal to try and counter balance the nasties.. any suggestions much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Anyway the organs are making her stools so runny (am not doing kidney and liver on the same day!!).. i'm now trying to add it to a boney meal rather than a boneless meal to try and counter balance the nasties.. any suggestions much appreciated!!!
oh my, that's funny about the dead chick!! I would back off on the organs a bit. Just give a fingernail sized piece in conjunction with a bony meal. No need to rush, she won't be deficient in vitamins at this early stage. Does she like cornish hens (small chickens)? They have organs stuck into the boney space by the backbone on both sides. (Kidneys). So if she will eat chicken backs with meat on the side, since they are so bone heavy, she will be getting organs that way.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
oh my, that's funny about the dead chick!! I would back off on the organs a bit. Just give a fingernail sized piece in conjunction with a bony meal. No need to rush, she won't be deficient in vitamins at this early stage. Does she like cornish hens (small chickens)? They have organs stuck into the boney space by the backbone on both sides. (Kidneys). So if she will eat chicken backs with meat on the side, since they are so bone heavy, she will be getting organs that way.
I gagged at the chick, feathers and all my face and the noise probably wasn't good it was kinda of a URRGHHHGAGFJKSJDS GROSS Daisy no no no!! ha ha

I haven't seen cornish hens anywhere round here.. will have to ask the butcher.. but Daisy eats anything.. i mean anything.. She licked the soap off her face the other day when i was bathing her.. plus bits of my rug are a favourite of her so i'm sure she'll like it!! Will give ago tho if i can find some.. thank you!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If you don't have cornish hens (little chickens), you can just do regular chickens. A whole chicken has those organs left in it. :)

She's doing so good! I'm so proud of her!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Ah Thank you :) She is such a good girl other than the shedding at the moment thats rather annoying!! You mean Giblets?? They come in a bag here (URGH!) The chicken is bigger than her ha ha.. how about poussin i think thats how you spell it they're teeny tiny chickens!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ah Thank you :) She is such a good girl other than the shedding at the moment thats rather annoying!! You mean Giblets?? They come in a bag here (URGH!) The chicken is bigger than her ha ha.. how about poussin i think thats how you spell it they're teeny tiny chickens!!
Yes, the giblets would be the organs. The gizzard and heart count as meat. The liver is an organ though! I don't know what a poussin is, but if it's a little whole chicken, that would be great! Quail are good too. Also squab if you have that (pigeons/doves).

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She had quail for dinner tonight took it with me to my mates obviously she doesn't have a whole one, anyway jasper the 10 month old yorkie decided raw is the way to go after i fed him yesterday and is ignoring his nasty dog food today ha ha daisy ran away from him with bird in mouth and he followed her lol i had to raid her fridge for chicken and printed off your first post for reference. I'm converting people ha ha ha

·
Registered
657 Posts
hi Guys!
Way to go daisydoo and aquarius!:D
just hav a question about Organs...
as far as type goes, is there a better one to choose for important digestive enzymes?
chicken liver is availible, plus beef which is a bit pricey. possibly pork too if i look hard and go to the right place :)
have to look harder for a lot of choices with food regulations and all.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I think that beef liver has more vitamins/minerals than chicken livers so I try to use beef if possible. But chicken works in a pinch. Asian markets are a great place to get organs, also mexican markets. At an asian market near me I got pig tongue, pig pancreas, as well as chicken feet and some other unusual meats/organs.

I bought Brody some bison testicles when I made an order for bison meat at a farm near here. Also bought some bison liver and kidney. Haven't tried it yet but hope he likes it!

Also try some tripe if you can get it! Stinky but worth it. Full of digestive enzymes and other goodies. Dogs love it. I dont' have a supplier for fresh tripe, but I can get it canned. Brody had 1/3 of a can of tripett today and LOVED IT! I scoop out the other 2/3 and put it in baggies and freeze.

Variety is great. Try for as much variety as you can.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I got some green tripe from hare-today & it was pretty decently priced compared to our local butcher (butcher was like $4 somthing a lb & hare-today is like $8 for 5lbs). You do have shipping to pay of course though. But yeah, I've got a pretty tough tummy but that stuff is NASTY smelling...like rotten cow poo. The Chi's love it though & it is so good for them so I figured I'd feed it for a meal a week.

41 - 60 of 768 Posts