Chihuahua People Forum banner

761 - 768 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
YouTube Video for Ringo eating a raw chicken leg

Thank you ladies for answering my question. I tried rubbing coconut oil on a chicken leg today, and Ringo ate the whole leg at once. Usually he does not eat all and leave most of them on the floor. I realized that he is more interested in eating raw meet compared to when he was younger. When he did not eat raw ground beef, I put boiled water on the beef, but he did not show any interests. Maybe he likes chicken better than beef.
Here's a YouTube video when Ringo was 3 months old. He reluctantly eating a chicken leg. He took a long time to eat this much.

As advised in the forum, when rubbing coconut oil on the chicken, he eats much faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie Questions

Hi everyone! I'm new to raw feeding --- actually still in the research part.
I have been reading up on raw feeding but still find that I am unsure and have quite a few questions.
I actually don't have a chi at the moment (I used to although he was kibble fed) now I have 2 poms. They're similar in size so I figured if the chis can handle it, so can my poms. Lol
Anyway, I would like to feed my dogs organic/grass-fed meats but it's hard to get where I'm from. Here are the few meats I have access to and would like to check if they're okay. (Everywhere I've read have mentioned these to be safe and pretty much feed their dogs practically everything! I'm quite unsure because my dogs are quite small)

BEEF:
Brisket, Marrow, Cubes, Ribs, Shanks, Kidney, Liver, Heart

OX tail, tongue, tripe

PORK:
Chops, Ribs, Belly, Liver

LAMB:
Loin Chop, Rack of Lamb, Leg of Lamb, Shank, Shoulder

Chicken and Egg

I would like to double check if I can feed pork/beef ribs? I have read that it's not advisable to feed them ribs? Also for the chicken, can I feed them wings? Thighs? Drumsticks?

I'm still a bit nervous about how they would go through the bones? Scared of them chipping off their teeth or something...

Anyway, thank you very much for your time and any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've been reading up on RAW for three years, and am still nervous to start. But am going to for my new Chihuahua.
Is dehydrated tripe or liver (made at home or from a reputable supplier) and used as treats as beneficial as raw? I mean can I use the dehydrated as treats and chews and still stay with the correct ratio? Or does dehydration suck to many minerals out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been reading up on RAW for three years, and am still nervous to start. But am going to for my new Chihuahua.
Is dehydrated tripe or liver (made at home or from a reputable supplier) and used as treats as beneficial as raw? I mean can I use the dehydrated as treats and chews and still stay with the correct ratio? Or does dehydration suck to many minerals out?
Read the previous 95 pages. There's a lot of good info, a lot of useless chatter you can skim through, but you'll find all your answers for sure.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
We are long time raw feeders. One of my chis is fussy with raw liver- I use a lot of dehydrated liver with her. If you are going to use dehydrated stuff feel free to include that into your percentages. Dehydrating stuff at home doesn't destroy any nutrients enough to matter.

Just a warning though- dehydrating tripe at home would smell really bad!! With raw it is all about variety over time, so don't sweat it of you use a bit of cooked stuff every once in a while or if you use dehydrated liver.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If only feeding dehydrated liver i would feed slightly more, dehydrating is a form of cooking and there is some loss of nutrients. I have one dog who used to hate liver, but he now eats it happily, so it can be done. There are a lot of tricks you can try to get them used to raw organs.
Dehydrated tripe is great for treats, but it doesn't have the benefits of raw tripe which is a fantastic natural probiotic and full of useful enzymes. Green tripe is a true doggy superfood.

·
Registered
32 Posts
GREAT Raw Diet Tutorial Post!!!

Brodysmom, I love your post!!!!! It has all of the information anyone starting a raw diet needs, including the very important link to determine how much to feed!!!

My Two Little Monsters, Bacon & Rascal have been on a raw diet for about one year. They are about 8 pounds. They get every day: .75 oz raw chicken, .75 oz beef heart, .30 oz beef liver, .30 oz beef kidney or spleen, .30 oz raw grated carrot, .30 oz raw grated broccoli, 1 Tsp EV Olive Oil, 1/ Tsp Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, with raw bones for treat a couple times a week. The veggies give them some additional nutrients and help prevent any constipation. Veggies are definitely optional. Carrots & Broccoli are two of their favorite veggie treats. I will sometimes switch to other veggies like spinach or sweet potato, or pumpkin or any other veggie they like.

Before I switched them to a raw diet they were eating Orijen, which is one of the top commercial foods. They were both over weight and their coats did not look or feel anywhere as good as they do right now. They both lost two pounds and look near perfect at eight pounds.

Here is a short 7 second video of what it is like every single day when I am taking them their food, just click on the picture to watch the video: .................................................................. For all of you new comers to raw food diet........ Does your dog get this excited about their food every single day????

One of the biggest advantages to feeding a raw, species appropriate diet, that I have found, other than they LOVE their food, is the virtually non existent vet bills!!!!!!!

761 - 768 of 768 Posts