Chihuahua People Forum banner

61 - 80 of 768 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Phoebe is being so darned difficult. She would barely even eat tripe today! She'll eat canned stuff, but not the frozen tripe (it is a weird texture but come on! Its TRIPE!)
All she wants to eat right now is chicken, and NO organs. Actually she'll probably eat pork but I have to get some. BAH. Diva dog!

All the other poochies on the other hand will eat anything and everything. I've never seen Schroeder refuse a new food (including organs) and Halpert might at first be confused but will eat whatever I give him.
I knew there was a reason I liked boys...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think that beef liver has more vitamins/minerals than chicken livers so I try to use beef if possible. But chicken works in a pinch. Asian markets are a great place to get organs, also mexican markets. At an asian market near me I got pig tongue, pig pancreas, as well as chicken feet and some other unusual meats/organs.

I bought Brody some bison testicles when I made an order for bison meat at a farm near here. Also bought some bison liver and kidney. Haven't tried it yet but hope he likes it!

Also try some tripe if you can get it! Stinky but worth it. Full of digestive enzymes and other goodies. Dogs love it. I dont' have a supplier for fresh tripe, but I can get it canned. Brody had 1/3 of a can of tripett today and LOVED IT! I scoop out the other 2/3 and put it in baggies and freeze.

Variety is great. Try for as much variety as you can.
Tracy you just saved me from pm'ing you. I ordered some of the lamb tripett, but wasn't sure if I could freeze the unused portions. Now I know...thank you! Lol!

Okay, I do have another question. Do you give the Tripett as a meal, add it to a meal, or as a treat?
The Petkind tripe is okay, but it just stinks so bad, and it takes them to long to eat it. I'm thinking if the Tripett is just as good for them as the Petkind tripe, and they can eat it faster, that would be great.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Okay, I do have another question. Do you give the Tripett as a meal, add it to a meal, or as a treat?
Hi Lisa - I feed it as a meal. He snarfed it. And you know Brody - he doesn't snarf anything!! ha ha! I will watch for loose stools tomorrow, but hopefully it won't bother him. He really enjoyed it. He likes those tripe sticks too, but there's something about a bowl of the smelly gooey stuff. ha. The lamb tripett is like a hard jelly. It is SO GROSS!! But that's OK. He ate it and loved it.

I wouldn't feed it daily, but I think it's awesome as an occasional meal. Some folks feed it weekly and that's good too. I split the can into thirds and fed him 1/3 and froze the other 2/3 in baggies. It freezes fine.

Go get some and let us know what your crew thinks!! ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I know this isn't the best but I've done a few "whole ground" carcus (which I'm gonna phase out after we use up what we have) along with whole pieces of meat but one thing I'm always gonna get ground is tripe! LOL I couldn't imagine trying to give whole pieces of tripe inside - towels or no towels. I want that stuff gone ASAP! LOL I can imagine someone sneaking THAT onto my couch - I'd not be a happy camper! ;)

What is the Tripett btw??

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I want that stuff gone ASAP! LOL I can imagine someone sneaking THAT onto my couch - I'd not be a happy camper! ;)
Ha ha ha omg i laughed proper loud at that!!! MINGING MINGING MINGING seriously couldn't cope i'd actually die and cry.. will wait til it stops raining and we have good weather.. then she can eat it in the garden coz that is not coming in my house.. i'd die and throw up and cry for a week!!! I love her.. but not enough for smells like that!!

I think Raw Feeders should get a discount on Yankee Candles... the amount of tart burners i have is a joke lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Here's a link to the Tripett brand of products....

I used the lamb one yesterday for Brody's dinner and he licked his bowl clean! (A rare event. ha ha)

http://www.petkind.com/

It's an OK substitute for the real thing, but if you can get REAL tripe (ground or not), it's better. This is canned so it's processed. I'd prefer the real thing, but couldn't find it around here.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think Raw Feeders should get a discount on Yankee Candles... the amount of tart burners i have is a joke lol
Amen to that!! I LOVE my candles & tart burner. ;) I almost thought about feeding the ground tripe frozen to minimize the stench... But I just couldn't justify that. LOL

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Amen to that!! I LOVE my candles & tart burner. ;) I almost thought about feeding the ground tripe frozen to minimize the stench... But I just couldn't justify that. LOL
LOL i now feel bad as i should attempt it.. i think i'll wait til the summer though.. gives me time to research where i can get it from, fingers crossed no one does it!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I went to my favorite butcher today :) Got lots of goodies - chicken livers, gizzards, beef livers, lamb cutlets, chicken wings, veal, beef hearts (he gave my those for free) and beef. My freezer is full LOL I'd say we are ok for months! Just have to get some tripe and maybe some quail.

Has anyone tried quails eggs? Couldn't find any today :( Tried all Chinese shops I know, none there, maybe because it's Easter LOL

And what about white tripe? I could get some in few weeks from the guy who comes to the dog training classes, who sells some frozen stuff for raw feeders, he has some white tripe and he says it's not bleached, it's steamed!?! I've heard he has very good quality meats.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I went to my favorite butcher today :) Got lots of goodies - chicken livers, gizzards, beef livers, lamb cutlets, chicken wings, veal, beef hearts (he gave my those for free) and beef. My freezer is full LOL I'd say we are ok for months! Just have to get some tripe and maybe some quail.

Has anyone tried quails eggs? Couldn't find any today :( Tried all Chinese shops I know, none there, maybe because it's Easter LOL

And what about white tripe? I could get some in few weeks from the guy who comes to the dog training classes, who sells some frozen stuff for raw feeders, he has some white tripe and he says it's not bleached, it's steamed!?! I've heard he has very good quality meats.

You got some awesome goodies!! YAY! Lots of good variety. Beef hearts for free - can't get better than that!!

I'd pass on the white tripe. If it's for human consumption, it's been bleached/steamed of impurities. You want the stomach right out of the cow, contents shaken out. That's why it's called green tripe. The green stuff has all the enzymes in it. The white kind doesn't have it. If it's steamed, then it's cooked anyway. I'd pass. :)

The rest sounds great!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
We get quail eggs sometimes. :) The dogs like them more than the cats, shell and all! We got ours from a private quail breeder (same guy we get our baby quail from).

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Morning all

Hope you had a good Easter.. i was good and told everyone NOT to buy me easter eggs in effort to try and lose some pounds for the summer!!

Anyway.. when should i change Daisy over to 2 meals a day.. this dog loves food.. she could eat all day every day.. but she's still going through a get fat, get thin, get really fat, get thin stage and i am putting it down to the fact that she keeps having large growth spurts.. Generally when do people change from 3 meals to 2 meals a day?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'm trying to remember.... I think I went to two meals a day once Brody started refusing to eat three times a day. When he consistently wasn't hungry at noon, for example, for a few days, then I cut him back to twice a day. I think he was probably 8-9 months old.

Since Daisy is only 4 months old, I'd probably keep her at 3 meals a day for several more months. Make sure you aren't overfeeding her. Raw fed dogs usually grow slowly and steadily. Not sure why you are seeing the crazy growth spurts with her looking heavy one day and thin the next?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thanks.. for all i know it could just be fur.. as she is starting to shed the puppy coat.. some days more than others.. so i am wondering whether its just the fur. SHe doesnt eat a massive lot (although i'm sure if you gave her half a cow she'd eat it all!!) She was very chubby when i first got her.. i think she's just growing into her puppy fat!!

I didnt know they started to refuse meals.. seriously Daisy would eat all day every day if she could, i can't see her doing it!! I will eat my hat if she does tho :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
a great G/Oz measuring scale

This little gadget, Along with Tracy:) has been a big help with all the raw amounts for meal time.
Bought it at London Drugs(canada) many months ago for my own meals;) and who knew it would be a big help for setting small oz. sized Chi meals :D
I am guessing that any drug store would sell one.
it is very portable if you have to run out the door with a bag of meat. lol!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'ven given Daisy whatever we've had.. which means she's been spoilt rotten as if we've had fillet, she's had fillet!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Just get a cheap roast or whatever you want to start with (doesn't matter if its not real tender) and start with just a small bite of beef in with the familiar chicken. If they tolerate it fine, add in two bites at the next meal. Continue until you have phased out the chicken and have a meal of beef! I don't use any beef bones so you'll be using your chicken bones for your bone content so keep that in mind.

If beef is going over well, do a couple meals of beef, then one of chicken with bone, then another meaty meal, then a bone-in, etc. in order to keep stools firm. Too much meat, with no bone, can cause loose stools.

Once they are doing well on the chicken and the beef, you can add in pork. Do the same transition. There are some edible bones in pork. Riblets (unenhanced) have nice small bones. Also country style ribs have some edible bone. Just watch them and make sure they are chewing and not gulping.

I use cornish hens almost exclusively for my bone content. I do meat meals in between with turkey, beef, pork, lamb, tripe, venison and whatever else I can scrounge up. Quail is good as is rabbit. Be flexible and go slow! Don't forget you can do eggs also. They are good for them. :)

It's fun isn't it. ha.

I would say you could start in on organs in the next week or so. NO hurry as they eat very small amounts of organs anyway. They only need 10% of their total diet to be organs. 5% must be liver, and then you can use kidney, pancreas, spleen, reproductive organs, brains, or whatever you can find. Start with JUST a fingernail sized piece of liver, maybe tucked under the skin of the chicken to start with. Be aware that sometimes organs can cause loose stools, so have some bony meals ready before and after your organs.

Brody is experienced and has an iron tummy so we do organs once a week on Saturday as a meal. Very easy that way and I don't forget that way or stress over whether he's had enough. I do about an ounce of liver and an ounce of kidney. He slurps it right down. Followed by a bony meal (usually a cornish hen back with some breast meat on the side) and he's fine.

You will learn what your dogs can tolerate and then just adjust as you go.

You guys are doing GREAT! So proud of all of you!

61 - 80 of 768 Posts